www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old October 11th, 2018, 16:56   #46
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselworld View Post
I have another video I did not post of the smoke puffing out while cranking. However I will disconnect the down pipe and see what happens. The injectors have like 20k miles on them at the most. I have tons of fuel squirting out of the nuts if I loosen them while cranking. I was going to take each injector out and hook it up to the pump and crank it into a jar to view the spray.

These are good test points you have brought up!

From all my reading even if the #3 injector was electrically no good the car would still run, just not very well. That darn injector is almost $500 and nobody seems to know what the ohm reading should be if its good.
"Tons of fuel squirting out"

I don't care about the flow here so much as the pressure. how far up is it squirting?
Old October 13th, 2018, 09:57   #47
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Quote:
From all my reading even if the #3 injector was electrically no good the car would still run, just not very well. That darn injector is almost $500 and nobody seems to know what the ohm reading should be if its good.

The car will not run, with #3 unplugged. A few members verified this when I was chasing a bad CPS. Bad CPS will also cause a no start condition, although the Bentley states otherwise.

Impedance should be between 80-120 ohms. Used sets of injectors sell for way less than $500.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 09:27   #48
Dieselworld
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 mpg Hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_TDI_98 View Post
How to check the cat in-place for blockage (while exhaust still connected):
https://youtu.be/IzyvL5tQLzU

This procedure requires the engine to start!
'98 Jetta Tdi 379k
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/dieselworld
Dieselworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 09:47   #49
Dieselworld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
The car will not run, with #3 unplugged. A few members verified this when I was chasing a bad CPS. Bad CPS will also cause a no start condition, although the Bentley states otherwise.

Impedance should be between 80-120 ohms. Used sets of injectors sell for way less than $500.

-Todd

When I tested it I believe it was around 112 ohm. Could it test out ok via ohm but still be defective I wonder...
'98 Jetta Tdi 379k
Old October 19th, 2018, 11:44   #50
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

Quote:
When I tested it I believe it was around 112 ohm. Could it test out ok via ohm but still be defective I wonder...
Unlikely, have you disconnected the cat and tried to start it?

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Wuzetem p.520 PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2018, 13:19   #51
k_pt
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VW MKIV TDI

If you crack open the injectors and crank it, do you get fuel coming out front the injectors?

Have you tried to hook a one-way valve on the fuel lines to check if it's fuel going back to the tank?

Do the RPMs rise on the dash while cranking?
Old October 22nd, 2018, 04:39   #52
Dieselworld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieleephd View Post
Unlikely, have you disconnected the cat and tried to start it?

I removed the CAT yesterday and it still wont start. It was probably 75% blocked which I suppose is normal as its original 378K miles.
'98 Jetta Tdi 379k
Old October 22nd, 2018, 04:41   #53
Dieselworld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_pt View Post
If you crack open the injectors and crank it, do you get fuel coming out front the injectors?

Have you tried to hook a one-way valve on the fuel lines to check if it's fuel going back to the tank?

Do the RPMs rise on the dash while cranking?

Yes lots of fuel coming out of the lines. I hooked up a clear supply and return line to see exactly what is happening and both are functioning normal. Getting around 350 rpm while cranking.
'98 Jetta Tdi 379k
Old October 22nd, 2018, 05:03   #54
k_pt
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes lots of fuel coming out of the lines. I hooked up a clear supply and return line to see exactly what is happening and both are functioning normal. Getting around 350 rpm while cranking.
Compression test? Timing?
Old October 22nd, 2018, 07:33   #55
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post

-Todd
I am curious if you have checked the wiring between the#3 injector and verified that the wires are good with 0 Ohms impedence. Like I said before, unless they messed up the pump, either fuel isn't going in or had nowhere to go.
I would leave the cat disconnected until it starts and runs, and run down the electrical so long as you have done a compression test (thought you mentioned that being done), if you can check actual pressure to the injectors and verify that the pump is not defective and there's enough pressure to pop the injectors, possibly pop test the injectors (20k should be okay) no assumptions if you want to figure it out.
If you have to pull the #1 injector and turn the line to it and stick a clear tube over it so you can see what happens with the fuel as it comes out (poor man's pop test).
This was the only way I could think of getting a view of the initial and main injection events.

To figure it out you need to rule out the assumptions and make them facts. Fuel actually entering the engine is a huge one, the video without smoke posted said that fuel wasn't entering the engine, or couldn't make it through the exhaust. Cat disconnected, look for smoke as it's cranked. If there's no smoke, then you need to find why no fuel is entering the engine. Bad nozzles, rebuilt pump, shut off valve, or signal to the pump/valve(you said it was operational, however, check the voltage when cranking and make sure it's getting 12V and opening all the way.) Really just have to run this one down with a solid plan.

As far as I see it, the timing is good, exhaust is separated, turbo is functional, I believe that you said you checked cam and crank sensors, (cam and crank sensors should be checked on ac with your DMM, voltage expected should be up to 2 volts generally speaking not sure what the spec is, just know if there's no AC voltage when cranking the engine sensor's no good.)
The rest is questionable.

'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Wuzetem p.520 PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi

Last edited by eddieleephd; October 22nd, 2018 at 07:39.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 12:43   #56
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

And I am still wondering about that crank sensor.
Found this statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCATDI View Post
Well an update is due! When I joined the two electrical connectors I guess I did not push them together well enough and on reinspection they were not seated. I pushed harder and wala(sp) ignition!!! The longest it would run in my driveway at 2000 rpms prior to today was about 9 minutes. Today I ran it for about 45 minutes the longest is has run since the problem started. I believe the problem is solved. All the symptons and the story are in prior posts. The best clue was the dry cranking and no rpms on the tack... The cutting off of the engine w/o prior warning started about a week ago. At any rate thanks to all that posted threads regarding this issue. socal is back in the saddle.
http://www.forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472479
More information about crank sensor
http://www.forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477261

And this one is really fitting to the situation
http://www.forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=406880

Old October 22nd, 2018, 12:48   #57
k_pt
Veteran Member

I really doubt it's an eletric issue.

If you are getting fuel past the fuel pump theres nothing electronically limiting injection, if the engine is timmed, and there is compression, you should get cylinders firing.

Also, the cluster is showing RPMs.

Last edited by k_pt; October 22nd, 2018 at 12:59.
k_pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 16:22   #58
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_pt View Post
I really doubt it's an eletric issue.

If you are getting fuel past the fuel pump theres nothing electronically limiting injection, if the engine is timmed, and there is compression, you should get cylinders firing.

Also, the cluster is showing RPMs.
Rule it out then, do a test and eliminate it absolutely or risk chasing your tail thinking it's good.

If voltage is low to the shutoff solenoid it could be limiting the available fuel and thus the pressure that the pump can put out. Broken wire can cause this.
As I said in my last post I saw no smoke in the tail pipe, white or black, and that means no fuel.
He said hes getting fuel to the injectors, however, doesn't seem to be enough pressure to send it into the pistons, otherwise, there would have been smoke coming out. What other reasons are there to rule out?
Old October 22nd, 2018, 17:55   #59
Chris_TDI_98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 mpg with leaking injection pump

I also follow the scientific method and require hard proof in order to say something is a fact.
I tend toward there being no or not enough fuel reaching the cylinders.
Can you pull injectors and visually inspect they aren’t jammed up with sludge?
If the injectors were jammed blocked, what would the car do? Exactly as it’s doing right now, isn’t it, crank and fail to start??
Do you have a locking fuel tank cap??
Chris_TDI_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2018, 04:09   #60
Dieselworld
Veteran Member

I am getting a lot of smoke while cranking now. I think in the video I said after it was shot I redid the timing and it was off a few degrees. Its right on the money and belching smoke as I am cranking. Taking off the cat really helped with cranking speed, it was pretty blocked up, but still no start.
'98 Jetta Tdi 379k