Think with yer dipstick....Jimmy!!!

TDI
None
Ok, I've been around this community for a little over a year and have been hesitant to ask this question in fear rejection..:eek: I've searched on this but haven't found anyone with the same issue per say.

Bought my 99.5 Jetta in March with a broken dipstick. Other technical issues have detracted from looking at this, so I've never compared mine to a properly functioning one. Since March, I've installed a new tube from TDIparts (which doesn't seat fully), and a new dipstick. When removing the dipstick, I have to grasp the shaft and rotate the top out strenuously while pulling otherwise the entire tube will come off (stop giggling). The shaft comes off rather easily I must say. What am I doing wrong? How far is the dipstick supposed to sit in the tube? Is it supposed to be flush with the top of the tube? Even if the dipstick tube was seated fully, if I tried to pull the dipstick out I am certain it would snap the new one.

Can someone please post pictures of it installed with and without an engine cover? How easily should the dipstick come out? Any info would be appreciated.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Looking at the end of a new 'funnel' as it is called by the parts guys, you can see a short area that engages the metal piece coming up and out of the block. It snaps into place by pressing it onto the metal part. The area of engagement is probably 6-8mm deep, not a lot.

So there is a positive engagement, and it is easy to break. Thankfully, new plastic funnels aren't that expensive.

The effort shouldn't be that much to pull it from the tube. But the tube should be engaged with the block sufficient that the dipstick will not pull the funnel out when you pull the dipstick out.

Sorry that my explanation is vague. Pictures really would do better on this point.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I had a broken "funnel" on the 2000 Jetta when I bought it. When I got the new one it wouldn't stay in place w/o using both hands to remove the dipstick-one to pull the stick, the other to hold the "funnel". Finally I put some RTV on the bottom of the funnel, cleaned up the metal base and snapped it on there. Stayed put after that, but was always careful about pulling the dipstick out. Still used to using two hands even now. Habit..

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
mine was broken and i had to push hella hard and all the sudden it snapped so violently into place that i thought i had broken it again. i bet your funnel isnt seated all the way.

TDI
None
Thanks for the replies guys, bigarniedog yes!!!! Glad someone else knows what I'm talkin aboot. Love that commercial. Makes me want to go into AutoZone with my old dipstick and start whacking people! "Duhhhh I put molasses in my engine instead of oil cause it was cheaper....whack!!!! Think with yer dipstick Jimmy!!!" and run away promptly!

Ok so last night, pulled it into the garage after driving home. Got out the 2x4 and my dead blow to scare it first, talked dirty to it, then tried one last time to seat the tube. Gave it one swift shove and it "popped" into place. I've tried this countless times before, guess the dirty talking was the trick! Phew glad that part is done.

But my original question remains. The dipstick is ridiculously hard to pull out of the tube. I put the engine cover and rubber guide back on and seriously I have to yank on this bugger to get it out. Never had this kind of resistance pulling a dipstick out in my life! Resistance while putting one in is another issue....:D Feels like its going to break within a month or so. Tried heating it up with my heat gun (aka blow dryer) to expand the top funnel area, no luck. Is it seated so tight to prevent crankcase gases from escaping?

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
mines hard to pull out and takes quite a bit of force, but not as much as what i think you're describing... i would just be careful with it.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Drip some oil inside of it. Oil the area where the dipstick indexes at the top and the plastic guide nub on the stick itself. Insert, remove, insert, remove, and it will get much easier. Repeat as necessary.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Dipstick and tube

Ausgezeichnet TDi said:
Ok, I've been around this community for a little over a year and have been hesitant to ask this question in fear rejection..:eek: I've searched on this but haven't found anyone with the same issue per say.

Bought my 99.5 Jetta in March with a broken dipstick. Other technical issues have detracted from looking at this, so I've never compared mine to a properly functioning one. Since March, I've installed a new tube from TDIparts (which doesn't seat fully), and a new dipstick. When removing the dipstick, I have to grasp the shaft and rotate the top out strenuously while pulling otherwise the entire tube will come off (stop giggling). The shaft comes off rather easily I must say. What am I doing wrong? How far is the dipstick supposed to sit in the tube? Is it supposed to be flush with the top of the tube? Even if the dipstick tube was seated fully, if I tried to pull the dipstick out I am certain it would snap the new one.

Can someone please post pictures of it installed with and without an engine cover? How easily should the dipstick come out? Any info would be appreciated.
I don't have time to read the comments by others.

However, I did have the same issues you described with my new replacement from the dealer. BTW, a magic marker wrapped with a thin piece of cloth is a good temporary fix. Just remove the old broken dip stick tube, etc., and jam in the temporary fix.;)

To make my new dip stick/tube work properly, I used 150 grit sand paper to cut down the shaft on the dip-stick so that it doesn't fit so tight. It works fine..... engine blow-by doesn't push it out or anything like that.... works great! That was over 50k miles back!:D