2004 VW Jetta TDI Cold Weather Starting Problems

Gretchw20

TDI
2004 VW Jetta TDI
I am having problems with my 2004 VW Jetta TDI starting in slightly cold weather and severe cold weather.

I have been having to turn the key partially a few times to let the glow plugs warm up. IF it is really cold out (usually below zero) I have to do this about a dozen times before my car starts. Sometimes it takes me a half hour to get the car started. (BTW I am getting about 35-37 mpg)

When I do get the car started, it start ups great and then idles down for a few moments and then idles up (not sure if idle is the correct word for it) and runs like it should. IF the car is warm it starts like a dream- there are no problems as well as in warm weather.

Sometimes when I take off in the car it will take off in slow motion and barely go. If I step off of the accelerator and then press down again it will take off as it normally should.

We have checked the glow plugs, changed the oil, air, and fuel filters, and changed the oil recently. All those are working fine.

I took the car into the shop and they told me it was the cam shaft censor. I had them replace that and the service tech told me the timing, glow plugs, and the timing belt were great and no problems there. I got the car back and the next day it was doing the same things.

I have taken the car back and they are now trying to tell me they "think" the timing belt has been stretched and it needs to be replaced. They have no evidence to support this idea- (The check engine light has never been on.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be going on? I am not willing to drop about 1000.00 on top of 400.00 to fix what they "think" is the problem with out a viable reason behind it.

Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Tradewind05

TDI
2005 Passat
If the car runs fine when warm, then sensors are not the issue. My 05 Passat does the same. Futz, putz, misfires for the first 10 seconds then OK. Back in early 08 I ripped the intake manifold, EGR and throttle body tubes off and cleaned the 1/8" gum buildup off of the walls. This helped alot; however, the problem is back. I replaced ONE glow plug which the check engine light came on. Turns out I should have replaced them all. Now I'm waiting for the remaining 3 to come in. I'm thinking that the original glow plugs where weak from the get go in 2005. Latest technologies in glow plugs are worlds better than yesteryears. Warm up cycles in 3 seconds or better rather than the old 8-10 seconds. I just bought some new Bosch glow plugs for 15.95 each rather than the dealers $32 each. Be careful replacing them. The ceramic tips could break off inside the cylinder. I did mine myself with care and make sure you're using straight sockets and have plenty of clearance. Tighten a bit before loosening the plugs. A tiny bit of anti-seez on the new threads helps too because of the metal on aluminum tendensies to sieze over time... I'll keep you posted when my plugs come in....

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Wrong Forum

Gretchw20 you are posting in wrong forum! :eek: You should post in A4 forum which is for your car!:D

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
2004STARWARSTDI said:
Gretchw20 you are posting in wrong forum! :eek: You should post in A4 forum which is for your car!:D
Since the original post was in March and the last post by Grethw20 was in April, I'm betting Gretchw20 isn't around anymore.:rolleyes: