Tdi into mk1 Ford Transit (UK)

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
no thats factory - i bought the gearbox not knowing about that plate and when i got it it only half bolted up - luckly i found that - it was only about £25 from VW but they were out of stock so i got that one 2nd had for £8 :D

what still is puzzling me slightly is the starter motor is only 2/3rds meshed onto the flywheel when fully out and if the crank was further out as it must be on the crafter that would make it even worse - that was one of the reasons i didnt space out the crank

all the parts ive got apart from the engine are crafter parts:confused:

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
Couldn't resist looking up the Crafter transmission; not too much information on it, but I did find this link: http://www.cars-data.com/en/volkswagen-crafter-l3h2-35-2.0-tdi-109hp-bmt-specs/49501

There's a listing for the gear ratios of this box; interesting gear spread - it comes with a VERY steep first gear!
yes very steep:eek: it will be worse on mine according to that the crafter has a diff ratio of 3.92:1 i have a 4.54:1 on mine
i'll just see how it drives and adjust it as best i can:)

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
the release bearing feels good and smooth - the noise is really loud - i am now thinking the gearbox i have been supplied might be a bad one

the pinion nut is missing off the rear flange and there was a drip of oil from the input shaft (the bellhousing was covered in oil when i split it) - i have removed the release bearing/cylinder and there is no seal behind it - i can't see where one would fit - is this normal:confused:

Last edited:

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
Is the oil seal built in to the back of the release bearing?
i couldn't see one

i phoned the company who supplied the gearbox and they have had it collected and repaired - i rang them today and they say it will be sent back to me on monday - fingers crossed it will be sorted:)

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
thanks

got the box back yesterday - checked and they have fitted an oil seal you can see it clearly so 100% didn't have one before - bit worrying as to the reliability of the box but they say it had been fully rebuilt

fitted it back on the van just now - got the reconnect all the other stuff then try it again

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Not got permission to see the pic bud.

Do a side mounted intake like the mk1 mr2 had with the fan lol

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
here is the picture - you must need to be logged on the transit site to view the link

ive got it all back together box back in prop done ready to roll but as soon as i touch the clutch it's still making a noise

seems like its the release bearing rubbing on the clutch but the release bearing felt good when i had the box out - the clutch looked good too

dont know if there are 2 different types of release bearing:confused:

Last edited:

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
got it mot'd taxed and insured now :)

drives ok but seems to run bad in higher revs - i think the inline pump i fitted might not be up to the job

but the clutch noise has all but gone now - i think it must have been something wearing slightly thats now worn clear