Old seat market

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
After I put in the gently used seats in my wagon is there a market for the old ones or just take them to the dump?
I had two nice sets of Mk4 front seats...one set in great condition, one set in OK/good condition. I listed them for sale briefly...then for free for a few weeks, and then I finally hauled both sets to the dump.

If they're not in your way, list 'em for sale for a little while at a low price and see if you get any bites.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
https://richmond.craigslist.org/pts/d/mk4-jetta-seats/6305746159.html

$50 for a set that seem to be in not great condition (despite it saying they're in great condition).

Take that for what it's worth. I guess all you can do is put them on Craigslist or Ebay and see if anyone wants them. Even $50 is better than having to drag them to the dump, although it does require interacting with humans from Craigslist, so that might not be worth it.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I drove over 150 miles and picked up a set of used seats ... seems I paid $75 or maybe $100. That was several years ago....... Yeah, they are still here, never used by me.

Anyone want them for free.......... condition is less than fair as I got them...:D

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Last edited:

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I've never been a seller on CL. I don't think I want to start. The seats in the Richmond CL ad looks like mine but a wagon.
On a more positive note the dump is only 5 miles away and on the way to work. Maybe I should just install the seats at the dump.:eek:

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
I don't know what a Jetta GLI had for seats, but the ones on Craigslist look a lot more like Recaro seats to me rather than standard VW seats. these are Recaro seats from a MK IV Golf.

You sure those are Recaro, the ones in my 02 are identical to those.
Even have similar wear spot, smaller thou.
Cheers

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
It depends on whether someone needs the seats you're looking to get rid of. I paid $175 CAD (about $131 USD at that time) for a full set of cloth seat that were in excellent condition; I was after heated seats for my blue Golf (which required installing the wiring for the seats).

And for my Golf I had to buy a complete car in order to get a decent set of seats. Here too I was after heated. I had spent well over a year searching and couldn't find ones in good enough condition. Cloth, heated beige seats in excellent condition are almost impossible to find! (the car I got, a Jetta, was also a 2000, so no wiring issues; AND same pattern [small checks]).

The old seats out of the blue Golf are very good, except the driver's has the common bolster wear. I'd been trying to sell everything for $20. Had a couple of show interest but they flaked out.

I'd pull the rollers off the front seats before tossing them in the dump. Those rollers are expensive: I bought some new ones thinking they'd solve the creaking in my Golf- didn't; hoping this other set of seats will rid me of that noise once and for all.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
^The creaking you speak of, are you sure it's the seats? I had an awful creaking noise that was driving me crazy. It sounded like it could have been coming from the seats, or somewhere just under me.

It turned out to be my skid plate. I remounted it with some rubber washers that I made, and the creaking was cured. If you have an aftermarket skid plate, consider that as a possible source of creaking.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
^The creaking you speak of, are you sure it's the seats? I had an awful creaking noise that was driving me crazy. It sounded like it could have been coming from the seats, or somewhere just under me.

It turned out to be my skid plate. I remounted it with some rubber washers that I made, and the creaking was cured. If you have an aftermarket skid plate, consider that as a possible source of creaking.
Sadly, yes, it's the seat (driver's). I can make it happen sitting there, without the engine running. I'd read that for some, this is some issue with the seat frame (many creaking issues from other things as well).