Shell Rotella T6 5w40

sfuruta

TDI
Red Beetle sunroof
I have been using Pentosin Pento HP II 5w40 in my '04 Bettle TDI for several years (80k miles) without any oil issues. I have noticed that Shell Rotella T6 5w40 is less expensive and I am thinking about saving myself a few dollars.

Does anyone have a good reason why I should not change my oil to Shell Rotella T6 5w40?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Plenty of people use Rotella T6 in place of a 505.01 oil.

I've been using it for a couple of years in my 2004 Golf.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
It's what I have used in mine since I replaced the cam at 70,000 miles. I'm at 160,000 now and the cam still looks great.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Honestly, it won't be long before the haters show up and try to convince you otherwise.

Plenty run it, plenty think you are foolish for doing it.

Some cams fail, some don't.

Your car your choice.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
T6 good, M1 TDT better.

Been running M1 - it's 5w-40 cousin - since warranty expired at 60k. 240k now and no cam issues. T6 is now one of three oils spec'd for the EcoDiesel 3.0 and have been running that in there. (warranty) M1 will go in after that's up.

M1 had better numbers and was a tad thicker but it is also a few bucks heavier too. the 505.01 spec is a bunch of hogwash bulshatt. 5w-30 is crap, stick with the 40 weight.

The great thing about T6 is its available at a lot more places than the M1 TDT. Not that I would ever shop there, but Tractor Supply even has it.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Honestly, it won't be long before the haters show up and try to convince you otherwise.

Your car your choice.
^^^^^What He said^^^^

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

Your car your choice.
3rd it. :D

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Reminder that there is a $5 rebate per gallon (limit 5) from Shell for Rotella T6. Walmart brick and mortar is a valid store for the rebate (I tested it before buying more)

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
I run T6 and it's great. the oil analysis against the top 8 puts it up there on the top 3 for anti wear. I am seriously looking at throwing it in my gasser turbo car as well and see what it does after 5k miles. I normally run mobile 1 0w40 euro spec but I buy rotella in bulk so if it works why not right? i'll just add an order of t6 0w40.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
T6 goes into the 02 TDI and the 03 1.8T Jettas.
It's easier to just keep one handy.

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
I use the T6 in my '05 CDI. While not the lowest ash content on the market, the ash content is low enough for DPF vehicle applications. I have used T6 and M1 TDT in my roommates '09 Subaru Legacy (gas boxer engine).

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I have been using Pentosin Pento HP II 5w40 in my '04 Bettle TDI for several years (80k miles) without any oil issues. I have noticed that Shell Rotella T6 5w40 is less expensive and I am thinking about saving myself a few dollars.

Does anyone have a good reason why I should not change my oil to Shell Rotella T6 5w40?
I wonder if he found the answer he was looking for.