97 passat overheated wont start

HugoStiglitz

TDI
1998 mk3
i was driving on highway i smelled coolant but temp gauge was below 200 so i didnt stop. Any car shut off i got out and radiator was leaking and boiling over. Car won't start now. Sounds like she want to fire. I took the clear line off the fuel filter and cranked it but no fuel is coming out.

Is this car eletric fuel pump?? IS there a safety that the computer has to be reset?? Did i blow head gasket??? The engine has a funny smell to it like eletric burn smell

HugoStiglitz

TDI
1998 mk3
i think it shut down on its own. I tried to crank it but it was real slow. of course it has stupid headlights on all the time. Had to get towed home. I tried jumping the n109 solenoid but it would go off after 3 seconds. i remove the wire and then tried jumping it but car still would not start but seems like it runs for a second.

With key on there is no voltage at n109 solenoid. but the engine/gp light comes on like it always did then goes off. coolant light is blinking. and sometimes there is clicking by some relay by the drivers firewall.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
It sounds like an overheat situation. I would check compression in all 4 cylinders, just in case the head warped. These aluminum heads don't tolerate much overheating before warping.

Tony

HugoStiglitz

TDI
1998 mk3
hey i was just messing with it. it started for almost 5 seconds. .I removed the return line and cranked it over fuel shot out so i guess its getting fuel.

But i noticed the clear fuel feed tube is empty about 4 inches before it goes into the fuel pump??? I don't think it should be that way.

Also the white knob thing i turned on the bottom of the fuel filter which i guess is a water drain . Anyway nothing comes out of there Which has me scratching my head. How can it be pumping fuel out of return but nothing is coming out of fuel filter drain??

I guess i have to go to store and bypass the fuel lines as my last resort before the old tdi goes into the weeds for a long sleep.

Last edited:

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
in a lot of cars the temp sensor is high up...if the coolant is boiling over you get air trapped at the top of the engine and sometimes the temp sensor is dry, so doesn't register as high as it really is... air is a poor conductor of heat.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Compression check is absolutely the next step... everything else is just random guessing. :)

Should you confirm low compression the head will need to come off to diagnose further... as previously posted aluminum heads tend to warp if abused but if you're really really really lucky it will just have lifted enough to breach the headgasket.

HugoStiglitz

TDI
1998 mk3
compression check 2 outer cylinders really low like like around 100-150 psi . one center cylinder is 450psi. other is 300psi. I will try it again i have to order an adopter.

So what are the chances of just needing a gasket??

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Could be a head gasket. The low compression dictates the head comes off
Then you can evaluate the head surface for flatness.

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
head job...

your lucky, one one head...i'm doing my lebaron right now for the same thing...damn V-6.....