Show what you tow!

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I got the same tires on my adventure trailer, just smaller..

For my Camper I'd be tempted to put some BFG TA KO2's on 15's, I'm running em on the Q7 on 17's and we boondock and want to camp early and late in the year, super thick sidewall.. Trailers are tough on sidewalls and with nobody riding in the back whom cares about stiffness, its more predictable and less influenced..

How about the leaf springs on it, are they shot? they arent flattened out or anything right?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I've had really good luck using car/truck tires on trailers instead of trailer tires strangely enough. Car/truck tires are much higher quality tires in general, better construction, similar/higher load ratings, more stable, etc. Many times you can find a pair of used tires at a local tire shop for a reasonable cost that will work well on a trailer. Often times someone will have road hazard damage on one tire and the others have 1/3 tread left on them and they replace all 4 since winter is approaching or something like that. Beware of the date on the tire so you don't get something 10 years old.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

I've had really good luck using car/truck tires on trailers instead of trailer tires strangely enough. Car/truck tires are much higher quality tires in general, better construction, similar/higher load ratings, more stable, etc.
I switched to passenger radials, too. In fact, my wheels/tires are full-sized spares from sold-back TDIs. I must admit that I keep my loads at 1000 lbs or less. I figure that any pair of passenger radials made to carry the 2271-lb front GAWR at 35 psi is probably giggling at my modest 1000-lb trailer at 25 psi. :) The ride is smooth and the tires are speed-rated. Seems like a win to me.

Scott

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Also could be the Shasta camper has more weight up higher (cabinets and such) that makes it a little top heavy compared to other campers. Add in softer sidewalls, worn springs AND bushings, and no shocks or sways bars you end up with a trailer that likes to sway and is much happier towing below 60MPH.

Jason

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

I've been doing a project at home which requires me to clear out the garage. So far, I've moved all of this into a storage unit with my "baby trailer:"

I've used the trailer so much lately that I've had plenty of opportunities to "stunt park."

I have enough different photos that I decided to write an article about it. Feel free to have a look.

Scott

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Sway Bars?

Question for the experienced. I just picked up a pair of swaybars for
my MkIV, an H&R 25mm rear, and a VW front 25mm with adjustable end links. A local who sold his VR6, and is cleaning out his garage.

The price of $30 for the pair was so silly I jumped at them. I don't necessarily want them for daily driving purposes, I'm happy with my current suspension setup (see my sig). But with a planned circumnavigation of the continent coming up this spring with a ~1200# tear drop camper, I'm wondering whether beefing up the suspension is beneficial.

I will also be very occasionally towing my 2500# boat/trailer combo.

Worthwhile?

Cheers!
R*2

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Upgrading the Sway bar wont help with towing, you shouldn't be driving it that hard w/a trailer to notice.

Tow Bags are the best suspension upgrade for towing.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
With a truck, the hitch is higher, especially in 5th wheel applications, and there's probably more force acting against the hitch. Everything is happening at a higher center of gravity on a truck. It's hard to imagine a swaybar could help much on a car with a hitch that's ~10" from the ground.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What's the weight of the miata and trailer, or tow bar? How is you wagen set up?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Miata is 2100 lbs
Trailer would be a rental like U-Haul so about 2100 lbs also
Bosal towbar on Jetta

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Not sure what your car is rated for but my 10 is rated in Europe for a maximum of 3300 pounds with proper equipment.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't do it with 4200 lbs. With a tow dolly maybe. The hitch ball weight of that would be way too much.
Unfortunately you can't use a tow dolly with the Miata (at least the 1st generation) as the gear oil will be at the rear of the transmission. As I understand it, the gear train rests in the oil when the car is level; with a dolly, the gears that turn when the rear wheels turn won't get sufficient lubrication.

So it looks like I'll either have to drive the Miata one-way or rent a pickup and autotrailer from U-haul.

Thanks for the info, guys!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
@romad - Silly question then, why not tow it backwards with the steering locked? We used to do that with RWD trucks so the rear end was not turning. Other option (I think I know the answer) is why not disconnect the drive shaft?

Jason

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Swaybars, in our case have been installed in the Beetle for years. Recently, we have run into a problem where the rear swaybar adjustment on the passenger side seems to be out and we are getting a fender rub with the trailer on big dips in the road. I have tried to adjust the coil overs but the swaybar is pulling that side of the car down.

I have new heim joints to replace the rusty ones and will install this weekend to fix this and then we are off to the Washington coast for some camping.

I think the swaybars provide stability by tightening up the car. If you have a light trailer and even lighter tongue weight, the car will hold the rig straighter where it might want to start swaying without the added support of swaybars. The Beetle is rock solid with the trailer and I think it is due to the swaybars, coil overs and fully adjustable shocks. I wouldn't have it any other way :)

The tongue weight (approximately 10%) of a 4200 lbs trailer would be well over the max for the Bosal like Lightflyer1 says. I would expect that the trailer is a dual axle rig and would have brakes on both axles. The trailer brakes would definitely help and if you could lower the tongue weight to the hitch capacity it might work. If the Bosal has a 175 lbs tongue weight, you would have to slide the load back to the rear of the trailer creating a very bouncy situation with the potential for fishtailing.

Have you considered flat towing with a towbar like kjclow suggested? I think dweisel has done that to retrieve many of his flock of Beetles.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Thanks PB, for the price I'll give them a whirl. I'm picking up a long block (Mercruiser 170) for my brother and returning it to the rebuilder.
Long story, but it didn't work out.

Little HF utility trailer, should give me a good idea of how it reacts anyway with a guesstimate of 8-900#'s total. 500 miles will give it
good test run.

Cheers gents!
R*2

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!

Here's a recent adventure escaping from Irma... Tandem towing with my 40' diesel RV. Surprisingly, the mileage didn't drop as much as I expected, only lost about 2mpg from the extra load!

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Seems the bigger the engine is the more you REALLY have to work it to affect mileage.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
@romad - Silly question then, why not tow it backwards with the steering locked? We used to do that with RWD trucks so the rear end was not turning. Other option (I think I know the answer) is why not disconnect the drive shaft?

Jason
Yes, I considered both of those options but wanted to try the easiest way first. I have time as I won't need to do this until next year.

ThatGTI

TDI
MK6 GTI
Not actually towing, not actually a TDI, and not actually my car. Wanted to share though.
Here is my friends 2.5 JSW weighed down with the pop-up I just recently got. I just got a Westfalia hitch, harness, and tow bar cutout diffuser for my MK6 GTI (Again sorry not a TDI, but not many people interested in towing on the other forums.) and I just need to get a brake controller and put it all together. So hopefully soon, I'll have pictures of that. The picture is of the trailer loaded fully onto the JSW, we didn't pull it all because of a few reasons. It was cool to see how it looked and how much it weighed it down though. The trailer is right at 2,000lbs unloaded and hitch weigh with full propane and the battery was weighed at about 300lbs. That's way too much, and I won't be towing it that way, but it was a good visual to see. The JSW has a 2" EcoHitch and AirLift helper bags in the back, they were only at about 5PSI when the picture was taken though.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Here's a recent adventure escaping from Irma... Tandem towing with my 40' diesel RV. Surprisingly, the mileage didn't drop as much as I expected, only lost about 2mpg from the extra load!
Since both the jeep and trailer are narrower and shorter than the RV, you probably don't get much extra drag. What kind of mileage do you usually get in that rig?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI

How'd you get away with that? It is illegal in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North & South Carolina.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Since both the jeep and trailer are narrower and shorter than the RV, you probably don't get much extra drag. What kind of mileage do you usually get in that rig?
I don't have 100% accurate numbers at the moment, I only just bought a heavy truck Scangauge on this trip. The previous owner said he got around 11mpg, but that could be at 55mph / not towing / not much in the water tanks / and no generator while driving. I was doing 65, I have slightly smaller tires on it right now (new for this trip) and towing with the generator on and full water tank. On the previous tires which were taller, I *think* I was getting around 9mpg with the generator running, but I was also running faster then too. Once I have a chance to put some miles on at the same speed but not towing, I can get a more accurate image - I'm not impressed with these tires though, they will be getting swapped out again when I have the chance. I'm going to try and sell the old ones first, then I'll pick up another set of used truck shoes, swap them, and sell these shorter ones. Buying used for $75 each is WAY better than new for $500 each!

How'd you get away with that? It is illegal in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North & South Carolina.
Officially, tandem towing is allowed only with a CDL, yet I have seen more and more 5th wheel RVs towing tandem. Nobody seems to care about them. I've also seen a couple HUGE motorhomes (one that has been on TV a few times) with bumper pull cargo trailers behind, and a bumper pull BOAT behind that. Way longer than my setup.

"escaping from Irma"

I'm guessing the "powers that be" turned a blind eye in view of the circumstances.
I agree with this as well. I fully expected to be pulled over at least once and hassled with, but after driving past no less than 50 troopers in 3 states while going in both directions (these guys were EVERYWHERE) and they were definitely running enforcement on the way back... Nobody even blinked at us. Fate protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise.

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

I think we've been sharing some trailer setup advice in this mega-thread. I recently went to repack my hubs since my trailer may be joining us on an upcoming 1800-mile road trip. Rather than repacking, I discovered some hubs that feature a zerk fitting which flushes grease through the bearings and out the front of the hub (sort of like a Dexter axle). Purchasing them was overkill for my current needs since they're pre-packed, but the fittings will come in handy when it's time to "repack" next year.

Here are the exact hubs I purchased: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466891_200466891

Before putting the Tiguan centercap in place...

I have more photos and a write-up at https://stealthgti.com/2017/10/23/ultra-tow-trailer-hubs/. The swap was super-easy.

Scott

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Scott, did dirt caps come on the zerk fittings? If not, suggest you get some so grit isn't pushed into the bearings when you regrease them.