Odd quirk on my Passat

juandhi

TDI
Passat
Guys I appreciate your help, been searching to no avail. When accelerating past around 78- 80 MPH, i get very distinct and strong vibration for as long as my foot in on the gas pedal. As soon as I take my foot off the pedal, the vibration is gone (even if i'm well above 80 and coming back down). This doesn't appear to be tire related, as it only happens on acceleration (above 80 mph, doesn't happen ever at lower speeds even at similar rpm) and recently had my tires changed. Any ideas? Thanks again.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What year of the Passat?

DSG or Manual?

Tuned or Stock?

When you're accelerating past 70-80 what gear are you in? 6th? or 4,5th? Are you to the floor or just being aggressive with the loud pedal?

In the'15 Passat, I have a shudder now with a stage 2 tune that never really noticed before the tune, but is a known issue.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481386

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
I had a very similar vibration a long time ago. My rear tires had cupped slightly and when put on the front it caused the vibration you described under throttle. Once I got new tires it was gone. I went so far as to price cv axles and they're seriously expensive. Like $400 something each

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Guys I appreciate your help, been searching to no avail. When accelerating past around 78- 80 MPH, i get very distinct and strong vibration for as long as my foot in on the gas pedal. As soon as I take my foot off the pedal, the vibration is gone (even if i'm well above 80 and coming back down). This doesn't appear to be tire related, as it only happens on acceleration (above 80 mph, doesn't happen ever at lower speeds even at similar rpm) and recently had my tires changed. Any ideas? Thanks again.
Easy to eliminate tires as the cause, swap front to rear and see if it changes vibration or if it goes away...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can't imagine that tire vibration would be accelerator dependent, but could be.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sounds like a drive axle vibration from his description. I'd try pumping some lube into the inner CV joints, particularly the right (long) side, as that is the one nearest the exhaust and more likely to get the grease "cooked" over time.

DO NOT replace the axles with Chinese junk.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I stand corrected, I'll keep that in the back of my mind next time I'm hunting for an issue, thanks.

1998redwagon

TDI
2013 passat 6M tungsten/cornsilk
similar thing happened to me after getting my tires rotated. upon acceleration there was an audible noise and vibration but not on decel. End result was that one of the wheels was not torqued snugly and bolts were loosening! Get it checked out now before it becomes worse and falls off!