What did you do to your car today?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Well I googled and found this article. http://newsok.com/article/5514945

The new plates have reflective material intended to make them more visible at night.
Years ago, California went from the blue plate/yellow (a.k.a. "gold") letters to a reflective white with blue letters. Now you can get retro black with "gold" plates under the "Environmental Plate" program. So much for plates NEEDING to be reflective!

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
'Bout to get my 6-speed on, courtesy of Nash_TDI next Friday...

The 01M finally laid down on me after 223,000 miles. I think I can drive it onto the car trailer, but we'll see.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
New Beetle got:
-late model center console with real cup holders! (Snoopy dance). New brake handle, too.
-left front wheel bearing to make it a clean sweep for every bearing being bad....
-new center caps and lug bolt covers to get rid if that ugly little hubcap
-fancy little VW caps for tire valves
-black leather shifter boot
-new black leather steering wheel
-new Yokohama tires installed
-front Koni STR struts
-new Evolution plate with drainhole. Oil change and Fumoto valve installed same time.

New lift pump laying on desk. I think I'll order a pre-painted wing for her.

Last edited:

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
last week myshifter just stopped working. after searching, the bushings failed.

Thanks to Jim at Dieselgeek, he set me up with the bushing needed to replace them. so after a miserable few hours dropping the shifter and replacing the bushings(the bushings only took 2 minutes) my car is driveable again.. My odometer reads 268k miles. so for an 11 year old car and bushings fail. not too bad... cheap fix, but a pita job to drop it.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
Dropped off my Golf last Friday at Nash_TDI's place for its 6-speed swap, going to pick it up tomorrow. I can't wait!

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
last week myshifter just stopped working. after searching, the bushings failed.

Thanks to Jim at Dieselgeek, he set me up with the bushing needed to replace them. so after a miserable few hours dropping the shifter and replacing the bushings(the bushings only took 2 minutes) my car is driveable again.. My odometer reads 268k miles. so for an 11 year old car and bushings fail. not too bad... cheap fix, but a pita job to drop it.

I just ordered the same stuff from Jim, I'm hoping to install from topside, but we will see.
That's what I get for installing a 300K shifter box in a 100k chasis.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Drem, if you are doing both, good luck. I dont see any way to do the front to back unless you drill that hole like dieselgeek. I didn't feel comfortable doing that. I have a custom exhaust, so I was able to squeeze it out without taking the DP off. Stock setup, I dont know. It's an easy job after all the crap is out the way. Be careful with the screw that holds the L shaped thing on the tower. I might have stripped it, and i dont think I turned it that tight, but it felt like I stripped it.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Drem, if you are doing both, good luck. I dont see any way to do the front to back unless you drill that hole like dieselgeek. I didn't feel comfortable doing that. I have a custom exhaust, so I was able to squeeze it out without taking the DP off. Stock setup, I dont know. It's an easy job after all the crap is out the way. Be careful with the screw that holds the L shaped thing on the tower. I might have stripped it, and i dont think I turned it that tight, but it felt like I stripped it.
I'm planning on drilling the hole, it doesn't bother me anymore, that said it's possible that I'll still fail. The only bushing that I know is done is the first gear getter one, so it's possible that I'll just change the bushings that I can get to and keep the rest in the glove box.

When I daily drove the car I probably would have pulled the box out and done everything, but now it just needs to work.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
Yesterday, but I picked up my Golf from Nash_TDI, with a new-to-me 6-speed! It's a completely different car in its road manners. What a huge difference!

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
New Beetle got:
-new lift pump to replace dead one
-new fuel filter
-doggie collar to replace doggie leash that was on the car

Wow! Amazing what proper fuel pressure and no boost leaks will do to performance. This is what I remember from the Waggin before I got it chipped.

jmeigs

TDI
96 Passat TDI
A VERY sad day

My 96 Passat broke it's timing belt on the way to work..I towed it home, but fear she is now an organ donor. From fun daily driver to organ donor in milliseconds..... :(

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
@jmeigs, that is a bad start of the day...

I've had a semi-successful day in the garage today. I've started to remove stuff to replace the DMF in my Skoda.
When I popped the hood open the lever in the cabin broke (same as in mk5 Golf)...
Having a transfer case and a 6-speed gearbox makes this job a PITA, especially when doing it on the floor in a small garage.
Tried to remove the box without taking the subframe off but that won't work, it hits the mounting bracket for the LCA. So I went on to remove the LCA, broke one of the ball joint studs and called it a day.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
Yesterday...

Replaced all the vacuum hoses with blue silicone tubing. Replaced a bad N75 solenoid and the one-way check valve that was no longer checking.

Mowed the yard with a borrowed mower, since my tractor needs a starter.

Removed stuff to get to the exhaust manifold/turbo so I can replace the vane actuator on the turbo. Couldn't get the charge hose off the turbo, so called it a day. Once I get that done, I'll remove the oil return line and pull the manifold/turbo so I can replace and adjust the actuator.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
@jmeigs, that is a bad start of the day...

I've had a semi-successful day in the garage today. I've started to remove stuff to replace the DMF in my Skoda.
When I popped the hood open the lever in the cabin broke (same as in mk5 Golf)...
Having a transfer case and a 6-speed gearbox makes this job a PITA, especially when doing it on the floor in a small garage.
Tried to remove the box without taking the subframe off but that won't work, it hits the mounting bracket for the LCA. So I went on to remove the LCA, broke one of the ball joint studs and called it a day.
Continued with this today, started with the subframe. Yesterday I broke one of the ball joint screws but, that can be expected here in the land of salt...other than that everything went smoothly. The gearbox with the bevel gear (transfer box) still attached make it a bit heavy on the diff side, it wasn't that easy to manouver it in and out.
The old DMF wasn't very loose rotation-wise but had a lot of play in the friction disc part.
I learnt that I should have taken the subframe off from the beginning, would've spared me a lot of time and energy...

Now I just need to replace the ball joint and get new subframe bolts along with an alignment.

Last edited:

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Nice work! I won't/can't do that type of work on my back anymore. Glad it went fairly smooth.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
Got the charge air hose off the Golf, pulled the exhaust manifold/turbo out, replaced the turbo actuator, and buttoned it all up. She's back on the street!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I finally figured out how to correctly purge the air out of a VE injection pump. So I did that and got started a car that has been sitting without running for 2 years or so.

Unfortunately, it has an autotragic transaxle with problems, rust issues, and while it was going to be a project, I have not the time nor inclination to do so.

It looks like I have at least 1 2-dr auto golf for parts. Just have to do some looking at the 2 candidates and figure out which (if not both) will be sacrificed.

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Just bought a 2005 Jetta TDI wagon with 180k miles after trading my Sportwagen back to VW.

The PO had done all the bushing but the subframe bushings and rear axle bushings. Currently waiting on the Cupra replacement bushings but decided to tackle the front subframe with some Tyrolsport subframe bushings.
(also some shifter cable bracket bushings)

Very Glad I did since the metal insert in the original bushing just fell out of the rubber.

Quick few licks of paint after some rust treatment and the new ones pressed in(talk about a tight fit!) and ready to go. Just waiting on some new bolts as the originals were fairly rusted and I just don't know how long they have been in the car.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Nice looking car. Jetta Wagons are the best TDIs. I'll be interested in how you like the solid subframe mounts (I'm reluctant to call them bushings since I don't see any rubber). Hope you don't feel too much engine vibration.

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice looking car. Jetta Wagons are the best TDIs. I'll be interested in how you like the solid subframe mounts (I'm reluctant to call them bushings since I don't see any rubber). Hope you don't feel too much engine vibration.
Man, getting the subframe aligned with the steering rack was a pain!

Finally took it for a drive after getting it all buttoned up, and surprisingly there was no noticeable increase in NVH. In fact is seemed more solid and planted, especially at initial corner turn in. My alignment seems to have improved as well as there is zero shimmy/shake/vibration from the steering wheel now.

Shifts are smoother as well. I can't figure out how there isn't more NVH, maybe due to the subframe having a solid connection to the rest of the chassis with no way to have deflection.

All in all I say it was well worth the money! Tyrolsport makes good products. Their bushings always make a noticeable difference in how the car responds to the driver/road.

What it is about the MK4 chassis that causes it to have such a numb steering feedback? It feels completely numb in comparison to the Sportwagen. Really need to find a way to change that, as the "connection", or feedback from the car is the most important part of the driving experience for me.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
This weekend...
- Replaced leaking clutch master cylinder that was dripping brake fluid on my toes - Clutch has never felt this good, master has been messed up since I got it I believe.

- R&R'd left axle due to cracked CV boot

- Replaced burnt out headlight bulb

- Swapped out the 50 psi gauge with the 30 psi gauge for the LP turbo - need to connect ALL the gauges together and pressurize simultaneously, something is off somewhere.

- Drove it ~600 miles this weekend, including ~100 miles at speeds west texas would be proud of and still returned 47.3 MPG on the tank with the A/C on. Played leapfrog with a clean MK3 with a VR6 (had to be from the sound) for ~50 of those miles. It sounded nice, but I bet he was getting way less than half the MPG's I was. He couldn't run away from me and he did a lot of shifting whereas I just left it in 6th and leaned into the throttle :)

- Pondered all the things that I still want to do on this car yet, then remembered that I need to get my Duramax project done first so it's only getting what it needs to keep it safe and dependable as my daily driver for now :(.

Mr. Annoying

Veteran Member
TDI
I gotta jetta wagon
it was mine IBW Jeff bought it a few weeks agoI miss it already:)

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
What haven't I don't so far.

Pulled front fender liners and got a bunch of crap out and put POR15 in there.
Oil change
Power Steering flush
Brake fluid flush (power bleeder was an awesome investment)
Installed new horns (low horn was bad on mine - replaced both)
Fuel filter changed and can of Diesel Purge run
Sprayed PB Blaster on exhaust bolts in preparation for exhaust install next week
Replaced windshield cowl and cleaned ECU connection (old cowl was warped and let water foul the ECU connection when it rained)
Installed BFI stage 1 Dogbone mount

Going to install the DG short shifter later today and tomorrow the Panzer Plate and Full Metal Jacket get installed along with washing the car.

Last edited:

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
He does. We have a car at IDParts with both tunes. Huge improvement.

Speaking of IDParts, so very glad I bought the rear axle bushing install kit from you guys w/the Seat Cupra upgraded bushings. That would not have been fun to press in while the beam axle was still under the car. Well worth the $50.

Really tightened up the rear end after 180k long miles on the originals.

I hope I don't find any new reasons to mess with bushings for a while. I definitely miss working on my Miata with Poly bushings. makes replacement so much easier than rubber, and with zerk fittings no need for removal.

Mr. Annoying

Veteran Member
TDI
I gotta jetta wagon
Speaking of IDParts, so very glad I bought the rear axle bushing install kit from you guys w/the Seat Cupra upgraded bushings. That would not have been fun to press in while the beam axle was still under the car. Well worth the $50.
Really tightened up the rear end after 180k long miles on the originals.
I hope I don't find any new reasons to mess with bushings for a while. I definitely miss working on my Miata with Poly bushings. makes replacement so much easier than rubber, and with zerk fittings no need for removal.
I think thats all the bushings