Front Seats recline and heat 2014 JSW tdi

Farmskis

TDI
2012 passat, 2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Electrical issue. 2014 Jetta Sportwagen. No seat heats, pwr recline, 12v ps, 115V ac

Our tdi Sportwagen heated front seats and electric reclines all stopped working simultaneously. The lights on the dash buttons light up to select intensity for the heat but no heat now in either seat. Also the electric recline stopped as well. Our seats are electric on the recline but manual everywhere else. Any ideas on cause of this? Where to start looking? I have checked the fuse and have not noticed any burnt. Any common connections that could affect all of these.

Last edited:

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
There's likely corrosion on the connector for the seats. It's under the plastic trim piece that covers the drivers door sill. Common issue.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
when you have common issues its likely the common (ground), IE multiple failures at once, if you have a multi meter check resistance to ground on the brown wires (Brown is vw for battery-)

Farmskis

TDI
when you have common issues its likely the common (ground), IE multiple failures at once, if you have a multi meter check resistance to ground on the brown wires (Brown is vw for battery-)
I will try this. Because today I also noted rear windshield wiper and 12v power supply not working.

Is the brown wire found in the connector that is under the drivers sill? I took the sill off but have not located the connector but I didn't have a lot of time to look around so I plan on trying again.
Where is the common weak point to check on the common ground if I find resistance?

Over the weekend I threw a p0562 which said low voltage. Batt tested at 12.3 and with alternator running it was 14.1 so it seems all is ok there but possibly a loose ground could be the culprit?

Farmskis

TDI
Update... I have done some checking and I get no resistance between the brown wire and the chassis at the plug under the seat in the carpet flap. No visible corrosion. The wiper motor is now working once I found that a fuse got moved to the wrong slot. Both Seats heat, reclines and 12v power supply still INOP.

Farmskis

TDI
There's likely corrosion on the connector for the seats. It's under the plastic trim piece that covers the drivers door sill. Common issue.
Is this connector under the door sill trim or is it the connector under the seat in the carpet flap?

Farmskis

TDI
Latest update. I have checked:
1. Fuses
2. Ground resistance at all of the affected items. (Checked good)
3. Power wire at all of the affected places. (Checked bad, I could not get 12v between live and ground)
4. Powered the seat recline motors from a separate source.
5. Connectors for corrosion, none found.

Items not working:
1. Pwr recline on both Seats
2. Heated seats on both sides. ( Switch on console lights up when pressed)
3. 12v power supply in center console.
4. 115 v ac plug in rear seats.
It seems all of these, except possibly the 115ac and definitely the seat heat, are normally live with the key off.

When I run a ground check at the locations (seat connector both sides), 12 v power supply) I get good ground results but I am unable to get 12 v power through the live wire. ( Key on and off)

Is there anywhere I can check that would have a common live wire for these areas? No other issues present electrically with the car.

zacharycamaj

TDI
2013 jsw tdi
I am also in same boat. power recline and heat doesn't work on either side and I am stumped. all fuses check out good and my connectors are clean.

zacharycamaj

TDI
2013 jsw tdi
all my fuses on the side panel and under the hood ohm out good. connectors under the seat look good. next step I will be doing is removing the seat and pulling back the carpet and insulation to check the harness as much as I can. will update with any info/ solution I find.

JohnWilder

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd manual
I'm apologizing in advance. I can't understand how to use this forum. I just don't know how to initiate a new post. I'm stupid.
I need to find a reputable mechanic in the greater Abilene, Texas region. I'm in Breckenridge. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you,
John Wilder
johngwilder@yahoo.com

Farmskis

TDI
You ever get resolution here? I am in same boat.
Found a local mechanic and I am having him take a look. He found out that the common issue was that all of these fuses are on the same row in the fuse block. He has tried a new fuse block but seems he is still not getting power to that row. He says his next step is trying to find a used body module I believe.

Farmskis

TDI
Mechanic informed me today they found a bad solder joint in the fuse block in the engine. Going to install new one tomorrow and it all should be working again.

Farmskis

TDI
Final update.... Car is completely fixed. Carroll VW in Carrollton, GA did an excellent job in diagnosing and fixing this issue. They did not throw parts at it, instead they developed tests to try and isolate the problem. 1 week to diagnose and fix, 378 out the door. I believe labor was 2 hours of the time and the part was the rest. 1 week may seem like a long time but I believe that it saved me money and trips back to the shop since they got it correctly diagnosed.