Audi TT

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
My girlfriend got out of the Army recently and while she lived in Germany, she bought a Audi TT. The car finally got here and were going to pick it up this week. It's a manual and she has no idea how to drive one so I gotta teach her. None the less, I'm gonna drive the car home, but I was wondering what would be a good RPM to shift the car at. The only manual car I've really dove is just my TDI and a few gas cars for short trips when friends were intoxicated. The car pretty much has no miles on it so I gotta break it in before I teach her how to drive it, but I can't wait to drive it :D

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
vaxick said:
My girlfriend got out of the Army recently and while she lived in Germany, she bought a Audi TT. The car finally got here and were going to pick it up this week.
I'd be more worried about inspection of how the container arrived. Check the car thoroughly top to bottom. I have had cars shipped to and from europe from New Jersey to Le Havre FR over the years. I've had my share of "fallen off the boat" blemishes.

As well, do you know the maintenance history of the car? When was the timing belt and maintenance performed last on this car? When was the last oil change?

Myself, personally? I would inspect the car top to bottom before turning over the key. Next I'd baby it home. Change the oil and filtres respectively and insure that the car is in proper working order before hammering it.

If it's a 1.8T the car enjoys a crisp 4,500 rpm range. Car is a little doggie below 3,000 rpms. If it's a 6-cylinder it's all about feel.

Just remember that you only push an engine that has been maintained correctly. Pushing something you have little knowledge on maintenance could act as a concern. But I figure you already know the maintenance history.

Remember the fuel in that car coming off the boat from europe will be different then fuel purchased in the USA. The timing is automatically adjustable to fuel levels and you have to run the highest octane possible to certify good operation. I owned a 1.8T for awhile. It ate 93 octane and loved 95-97 octane.:D

Very expensive on the wallet.

Time for a conversion to diesel on that AudiTT?

LOL

Brian

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
BrianCT said:
I'd be more worried about inspection of how the container arrived. Check the car thoroughly top to bottom. I have had cars shipped to and from europe from New Jersey to Le Havre FR over the years. I've had my share of "fallen off the boat" blemishes.

As well, do you know the maintenance history of the car? When was the timing belt and maintenance performed last on this car? When was the last oil change?

Myself, personally? I would inspect the car top to bottom before turning over the key. Next I'd baby it home. Change the oil and filtres respectively and insure that the car is in proper working order before hammering it.

If it's a 1.8T the car enjoys a crisp 4,500 rpm range. Car is a little doggie below 3,000 rpms. If it's a 6-cylinder it's all about feel.

Just remember that you only push an engine that has been maintained correctly. Pushing something you have little knowledge on maintenance could act as a concern. But I figure you already know the maintenance history.

Remember the fuel in that car coming off the boat from europe will be different then fuel purchased in the USA. The timing is automatically adjustable to fuel levels and you have to run the highest octane possible to certify good operation. I owned a 1.8T for awhile. It ate 93 octane and loved 95-97 octane.:D

Very expensive on the wallet.

Time for a conversion to diesel on that AudiTT?

LOL

Brian
It's pretty much brand new still and was modified for US regs I guess.

Haha my gf would never let me dump a diesel engine in her car.

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a 1.8T so I guess I'll be shifting at 4,500 RPM. Bummer though since my car is faster than her's and I spent way less haha.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You "guess" it was modified for US regulations?

You had better "know" if it was modified for US regulations (or manufactured to North American specifications), because if it wasn't, you're not going to be driving ANYWHERE in that car.

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
GoFaster said:
You "guess" it was modified for US regulations?

You had better "know" if it was modified for US regulations (or manufactured to North American specifications), because if it wasn't, you're not going to be driving ANYWHERE in that car.
I'm just going with what she has told me about the car :cool:

I'll post the full scoop on the car once I see it. I'll post some pics as well as I'm ancy to see how "Euro" it still is.

Redleg

TDI
None currently
IF she bought it new while still in the Army, she probably bought it through the PX and then the Army shipped it home. If this is true, then it is already an american spec car, she just enjoyed tremendous savings over buying it here, as well as the military being responsible for any damages incurred from shipping. All in all, she probably did well, and got a car she couldn't have otherwise afforded.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I hope it arrives in the states better than mine arrived in Germany. Flat tires, dirty and messed up generally. Some tools were also missing. So much for military shipping contracts. And no body around to help except expensive "contract" mechanics.

Enjoy the TT!!!

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
wny_pat said:
I hope it arrives in the states better than mine arrived in Germany. Flat tires, dirty and messed up generally. Some tools were also missing. So much for military shipping contracts. And no body around to help except expensive "contract" mechanics.

Enjoy the TT!!!
Real story. Had a group of friends who did IFAM here in Hartford, CT as an exchange program with the University of Hartford and France. They all bought used corvettes while living here the 2 year for their MBA's but one kid purchased a 1976 Cadillac [SIZE=-1]Eldorado Convertible used from Bill Barry VW in West Hartford, CT -it was his son's car. Paid $7,000 mint, white with red interior.

So when they were to graduate they decide to ship all their cars back to France with them. Roughly $700-$900 fee.:D

The cars were driven down to New Jersey for exporting and they rented a single car to return back to Hartford for graduation. Couple days later [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]we were all eating together [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]in a restaurant - [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I pick up the phone -[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]a pay phone near the rest rooms and call the restaurant. I ask the manager to page my buddy in the restaurant, gave the full name, told him it was urgent.

Buddy gets on the phone, I tell him in a heavy accent that his Cadillac rolled off the boat accidently ..."but it's still floating ...and do you want us to fetch it for a small fee...." Go into detail that he can give his credit card now or it will sink. Fuming mad.

It was a great joke. All the parents were there at the restaurant and listened in on the joke. They came all the way from europe for the graduation and it was our best laugh of the week. He still talks about his sudden heart attack during that deal.

:D

End of story, his car came into port okay but the corvettes were slightly damaged. The corvettes were never registered in France because none of them could pass the MINE [inspection]. Evidently in order to pass inspection the model you're importing has to have existed in europe already.

Expensive deal for them.

Brian
[/SIZE]