Extended/longer passenger seat bracket in MKVI?

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Is there any way to get the passenger seat back to where the drivers seat is (distance from the dash wise)? I.e. Aftermarket seat bracket. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of legroom in the drivers side. Sitting in the passenger side though, there's a good bit less room. This is an issue, because the GF is also tall...and as a result...her knees are pretty much in the dash. This doesn't work for long drives.

Is there any way to get the passenger seat back more than the stock bracket will allow?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The passenger seat should go just as far back as the driver's. Check for obstructions in the floor area of the rear seat that might be preventing the normal range of movement.
Ball point pens are a common discovery in the slide tracks.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
The passenger seat should go just as far back as the driver's. Check for obstructions in the floor area of the rear seat that might be preventing the normal range of movement.
Ball point pens are a common discovery in the slide tracks.
That was my first thought. I looked down under the seat with it all the way back and it's all the way against the rearmost point of the bracket. At that position...the passenger seat is a good 2-3" forward of the drivers seat.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I believe that the MKVI is pretty similar to the MKV (my car). Does your seat bolt down with 4 large bolts that all go straight down? If yes, read on.

My problem is slightly different, my wife is "normal" in size. However, I am about 6'8" tall with a 37' inseam. I wanted to move MY (driver's) seat back a few inches. You need someone with metal fabricating tools and know-how (I do not know if that is you or not). Take a piece of steel stock about 1/4" thick and 1.25" -1.5" wide and cut it into 2 pieces each a few inches longer than the length of your seat mounts (front to back). Then drill 4 holes in each piece - 2 pairs of holes spaced exactly as far apart as your seat mount bolts. One set (pair) of holes will be the correct size for your stock seat bolts (rear ones countersunk? see note below). The second set (pair) of holes will be a few inches behind that first set (how far to you want to move the seat back?). This second set of holes should be sized to install heavy duty weld nuts from the bottom - someone's life depends on this seat mount.

Now you can unbolt your seat and bolt down your "adapters", then bolt your seat into those weld nuts. Presto, seat moved. Now, I don't even put my seat all the way back unless I'm on a long highway drive. Note: on my car I had to use countersunk 10mm bolts and countsink the bolt heads so that the seat didn't hit the bolt heads as the seat slid back. YMMV.

Have Fun!

Don

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I believe that the MKVI is pretty similar to the MKV (my car). Does your seat bolt down with 4 large bolts that all go straight down? If yes, read on.

My problem is slightly different, my wife is "normal" in size. However, I am about 6'8" tall with a 37' inseam. I wanted to move MY (driver's) seat back a few inches. You need someone with metal fabricating tools and know-how (I do not know if that is you or not). Take a piece of steel stock about 1/4" thick and 1.25" -1.5" wide and cut it into 2 pieces each a few inches longer than the length of your seat mounts (front to back). Then drill 4 holes in each piece - 2 pairs of holes spaced exactly as far apart as your seat mount bolts. One set (pair) of holes will be the correct size for your stock seat bolts (rear ones countersunk? see note below). The second set (pair) of holes will be a few inches behind that first set (how far to you want to move the seat back?). This second set of holes should be sized to install heavy duty weld nuts from the bottom - someone's life depends on this seat mount.

Now you can unbolt your seat and bolt down your "adapters", then bolt your seat into those weld nuts. Presto, seat moved. Now, I don't even put my seat all the way back unless I'm on a long highway drive. Note: on my car I had to use countersunk 10mm bolts and countsink the bolt heads so that the seat didn't hit the bolt heads as the seat slid back. YMMV.

Have Fun!

Don
Yup. Four large bolts.

I'm definitely going to give this some thought before I decide to DIY something like this.

I can do the metal work, with the exception of the weld nut. I've got a buddy that has welding equipment though. I could fabricate the bracket extensions and have him weld the nuts.

Thanks for the write-up Don.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I apologize. I read the roman numeral for "6" in your original post titie as "4".
The mark 6 has a different seat mount than the mark 4. My comment about something jammed in the track is pertinent to mark 4 (and 3).