Cruze Diesel is rated at 52 mpg highway in stick version, 37 mpg combined

MRO1791

TDI
2015 Cruze TD (x2), 2009 Dodge Cummins
Wonder what hfpf the cruze has?
I can tell you: a CP1 type Bosch HPFP, it is 3 piston pump, like the CP3 that runs at 2/3 engine crank speed.

I just pulled the cover to look at it last night and confirmed that off the sticker on the pump.

I have yet to find the fuel filter, it must be under the car, or near/in tank.. it is not under the hood... I followed the flow paths and the supply and return lines disappear under the firewall going back.. I'll have to put it up on a lift or ramps to take a look underneath at a later date.

Here is a picture I found online that looks like the one on the Cruze:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cp1+bosch+fuel+pump&view=detailv2&&id=E42F316B89B315401B659B4E292563D2FCDD327F&selectedIndex=53&ccid=QgdJ8O%2fp&simid=608013910665659877&thid=OIP.M420749f0efe99eeb9c8f1462996cac5bo0&ajaxhist=0

Last edited:

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Cruze

Set the cruise control on the Cruze at 60 mph, or 40 or even 25 and check the accuracy of the speed with a GPS. Dead nuts accurate!

No VW I've owned for the past 25 years has an accurate speedometer. My '13 Jetta TDI is off by 4 mph.

vwgtiglx

TDI
2014 2.0 TD Chevy Cruze
Chevrolet Cruze Diesel

I can tell you: a CP1 type Bosch HPFP, it is 3 piston pump, like the CP3 that runs at 2/3 engine crank speed.

I just pulled the cover to look at it last night and confirmed that off the sticker on the pump.

I have yet to find the fuel filter, it must be under the car, or near/in tank.. it is not under the hood... I followed the flow paths and the supply and return lines disappear under the firewall going back.. I'll have to put it up on a lift or ramps to take a look underneath at a later date.

Here is a picture I found online that looks like the one on the Cruze:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cp1+bosch+fuel+pump&view=detailv2&&id=E42F316B89B315401B659B4E292563D2FCDD327F&selectedIndex=53&ccid=QgdJ8O%2fp&simid=608013910665659877&thid=OIP.M420749f0efe99eeb9c8f1462996cac5bo0&ajaxhist=0
The fuel filter is located just ahead of the right rear wheel. You must remove the under body panel to gain access to it.

RadioChemist

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE, 2014 Cruze Diesel
LONG time lurker, finally signed up and FP. I have a 2013 Passat TDI as well as a 2014 Cruze diesel. I knew before buying the Cruze that it is a much smaller car. I bought it in Jan '15 because I got too good a deal to pass up.

With the recent VW scandal, I now know (or at least suspect) why its mpg isn't as good as the Passat.

My one issue with it is the transmission. Whereas the Passat will hold a gear and let the engine "grunt", the Cruze will immediately downshift. This may also be an emissions issue.

I'm considering a Trifecta engine/transmission tune, but there are very few of these cars out there and I haven't found many reviews.

Great site!

MRO1791

TDI
LONG time lurker, finally signed up and FP. I have a 2013 Passat TDI as well as a 2014 Cruze diesel. I knew before buying the Cruze that it is a much smaller car. I bought it in Jan '15 because I got too good a deal to pass up.

With the recent VW scandal, I now know (or at least suspect) why its mpg isn't as good as the Passat.

My one issue with it is the transmission. Whereas the Passat will hold a gear and let the engine "grunt", the Cruze will immediately downshift. This may also be an emissions issue.

I'm considering a Trifecta engine/transmission tune, but there are very few of these cars out there and I haven't found many reviews.

Great site!
Good observations, and yes, the low RPM, high load would soot load the DPF if the EGR was fully working to attain the NOx limits, expect the Passat shift points to be adjusted with the "fix". More EGR lowers NOx, but increases soot, that loads the DPF.

I'm hoping my Cruze is fixed today, its been in shop for a week, it had a bad DPF after 397 miles!!! That $1200 part is not stocked locally, so the delay was mostly in shipping of parts. I've not seen others have DPF issues, so I'm hoping just a fluke, seems I get more than my fair share of such things..

MRO1791

TDI
An interesting side note, the 2012 Jetta I traded in is still showing in the used inventory of the dealership, it was the only VW a few days after I got the Cruze, now, almost 2 weeks later they have 4 VW TDIs, and 2 VW gassers in the used inventory. Interesting, I'd have to guess that is likely indicative of a trend. There was a report saying VW TDIs took a 13% hit in value, the real drop may be even more than that.

vwgtiglx

TDI
2014 2.0 TD Chevy Cruze
Good observations, and yes, the low RPM, high load would soot load the DPF if the EGR was fully working to attain the NOx limits, expect the Passat shift points to be adjusted with the "fix". More EGR lowers NOx, but increases soot, that loads the DPF.

I'm hoping my Cruze is fixed today, its been in shop for a week, it had a bad DPF after 397 miles!!! That $1200 part is not stocked locally, so the delay was mostly in shipping of parts. I've not seen others have DPF issues, so I'm hoping just a fluke, seems I get more than my fair share of such things..
see my PM

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
Congratulations on the Cruze diesel.

I test drove one a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

My only complaint was the transmission, as it seemed to rob a little more power than the DSG. Now if Chevy put a manual transmission in this car, I would easily be a cruze diesel owner.

I might however push my transmission preferences aside, I've got a GM Supplier Discount through work and I can combine that with current rebates. Something to think about...

MRO1791

TDI
Got the car back, with new DPF, 250 miles so far.. average 43MPG, best 50 mile score 53MPG (highway).

So far so good, hope it stays that way.

Service technicians hated the DPF replacement, took far longer than the GM estimated time, of course.. not much room to work under the hood near the DPF, but they did it with engine in place. I looked it over pretty close, seems they did well, can't see much evidence of work there, no marks except a bolt or two that has wrench marks.. so good on them for that.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Does the Cruze diesel engine have a timing belt or a chain? Also what is the the change interval?

Congrats on the purchase. :cool:

MRO1791

TDI
Now have about 800 miles, about 400 on the new DPF.. all seems well. Best 50 mile average MPG was 57!, overall since last fill up is 46MPG. Seems the old DPF may have been damaged, and restricting flow given the increase in MPG post replacement.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Good to hear positive report on the Cruze in the wild. I really liked the Cruze Diesel I had to review for Diesel World magazine, and if I wanted a car payment again I would have one in the driveway to replace our 2006 Jetta TDI without a second thought. I may still go that route...

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Not as good as my Passat TDI-SE, but then again, no cheating.
Diesels continue to be sold in North America. TDI's continue to operate.
It is a disservice to the site and to the audience to turn every topic into a reference to TDI's that are currently part of the emissions defeat device.

MRO1791

TDI
I'm still waiting to see one in the wild here in Naptown. I keep looking for the 2.0 TD on the back.
You had better have sharp vision or be really close.. the green tag is nearly identical to the "ECO" and the font is maybe 12pt at best.. it is as if they wanted to keep these covert! That said, while at idle it is clearly a diesel, more noticeable that the VW TDIs, but on the road as if not more quiet.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
You had better have sharp vision or be really close.. the green tag is nearly identical to the "ECO" and the font is maybe 12pt at best.. it is as if they wanted to keep these covert! That said, while at idle it is clearly a diesel, more noticeable that the VW TDIs, but on the road as if not more quiet.
I'll keep a closer watch then. Thought the badge was red for some reason. I'd love to test drive one.

MRO1791

TDI
Now @ 1242 miles.. lifetime average MPG= 43MPG, best 50 mile average was 57.2, which is going to be hard to beat. Last long drive got just 53 MPG.

I saw what is most likely the first regen on the new DPF on that last drive, determined by a sharp MPG drop, from normal 50+ to about 35-40MPG.. then back up to normal values, and no CEL, so I think the new DPF is going to be OK.. thankfully.

Some observations: Reviews I read discussed sometimes clumsy gear shifts below 35MPH, I can confirm this. It at times seems to hold the lower gear way longer than needed, but most of the time will take a manual upshift to resolve, other times the annoying "shift denied" message pops up. It holds 5th gear to about 45MPH, the VW DSG will take 6th at about 40, or slightly below. The cruze will hold 6th down to about 40MPH only under light load however. I have to honestly say, I like the DSG better.. but the shift issues are not that big a deal, and I don't think they bother my wife at all, and she is the primary driver. I'd really LOVE it if this car had a manual transmission option.

RadioChemist

TDI
Chevy doesn't provide DEF top-off on their covered maintenance like VW. I just added some of the cheap Walmart Supertech DEF - no problems so far. I was at 20% on my DEF levels. Just a data point...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Chevy doesn't provide DEF top-off on their covered maintenance like VW. I just added some of the cheap Walmart Supertech DEF - no problems so far. I was at 20% on my DEF levels. Just a data point...
How many miles did you go on how many gallons of DEF?

RadioChemist

TDI
How many miles did you go on how many gallons of DEF?
I'm not sure - this was the first time I added DEF and I'm not sure how full it was initially. The DEF indicator was at 20% and I was at about 11k miles. After adding the DEF, it just says "OK". If the tank is about 5 gal and it actually used 80% in 11k miles, that's 2750 mi/gal. I added 2.5gal, so I guess I'll see how long it takes me to get back to 20%.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm not sure - this was the first time I added DEF and I'm not sure how full it was initially. The DEF indicator was at 20% and I was at about 11k miles. After adding the DEF, it just says "OK". If the tank is about 5 gal and it actually used 80% in 11k miles, that's 2750 mi/gal. I added 2.5gal, so I guess I'll see how long it takes me to get back to 20%.
The dealer added 2 gallons DEF to top off at the scheduled free 4 oil changes at about 6500-7000 miles for my Cruze diesel.
Okay. I'm trying to figure out what the Cruze's ratio of DEF consumption to fuel consumption is. Industry standard is about DEF being about 3% of fuel or slightly less.

vwgtiglx

TDI
2014 2.0 TD Chevy Cruze
Chevy does give you free top-offs of DEF during each of the 4 free oil changes occurring during the first 24 months of ownership. This does not include Canada unfortunately.