Feeler - SF Bay Area/ NorCal fall GTG

Are you interested in attending a Fall GTG?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
We are running out of time for it to happen in October, then with November the holidays kick in.

VWmeow

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
What a shame... When stuff like this happens, its just a short step away from it not happening anymore..

What is the issue that is holding this up?

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
What a shame... When stuff like this happens, its just a short step away from it not happening anymore..

We are all very lucky to have a guy like NewTDI setting these GTGs up! He had a lot of things on his plate, like work, family, and all that. When he gets all the ducks in a row, he will let us know and it will be well worth going to. He does a lot of work to make sure the GTG has all the bases covered.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I think the main reason is that it is getting hard to find a suitable location with an agreeable owner. Hey, Frankencar, got your new place up yet? (Hint, hint) :D

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Thanks Andrew for getting alll the GTG together all these years.

I need some work done, and would prefer it to be done in one day closeby.

Can a GTG be done in some private home, or location ? I recall a few small GTG were done at people's houses or own private garages.
Not wanting to rock the boat but would this be possible ?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Can a GTG be done in some private home, or location ? I recall a few small GTG were done at people's houses or own private garages.
It would have to be no more than 2 or 3 TDIs to be neighborly.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle

Yes, a gtg at a house would be fine and welcome. But the venue has to be right. Paved driveway, preferably a garage to work in. Electricity, bathroom. BBQ :) and street parking. Scope of work being done may be limited by host. People allowed to work on their cars may be limited by host.

We've done it before a bunch of times, regularly with 40+ in attendance

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
Hey guys, I've talked to the owner (Brian) of Viking Auto Parts in Novato a few times about hosting a GTG. He has two bays and one lift (if I remember correctly), and a small parking lot that would probably have space for ~4 cars to be worked on. He offered it up to me for free, as long as we bought a bunch of parts from him. His prices are excellent btw!
I just haven't had any time to do TDI work lately, but maybe I could get one weekend away from the family to host something like this. We could shoot for the weekend of Nov 7-8.
Are you available that weekend oldpoopie?

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Hey guys, I've talked to the owner (Brian) of Viking Auto Parts in Novato a few times about hosting a GTG. He has two bays and one lift (if I remember correctly), and a small parking lot that would probably have space for ~4 cars to be worked on. He offered it up to me for free, as long as we bought a bunch of parts from him. His prices are excellent btw!
I just haven't had any time to do TDI work lately, but maybe I could get one weekend away from the family to host something like this. We could shoot for the weekend of Nov 7-8.
Are you available that weekend oldpoopie?
Matt and I have been to him for parts more than once. And I just spoke to Matt and he's down for doing this. Even the tenative dates are okay....but it might be sketchy for us. Matt has jury duty starting the 2nd. The whole parts thing might be interesting. If Brian can quote prices that are competitive and guarantee availability of strange and on-the-spot needed items, it may be doable. Like extra sets of engine mount bolts, or new engine mounts themselves...or camshafts...:eek: Otherwise, I prefer working with the Andrew/Aaron combo.

The weekend after might be doable as well, even though we're bumping up against Thanksgiving at that point. I like this discussion.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
And what hour, exactly, did we wake up Peter Pyce's neighbors that one time? :eek:
Yep! I remember the 2003 time frame! Peter was indeed a gracious host !

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I recall Peter's neighbor didn't like the compressor going off at 6am or something like that... :eek:
But, remember Drivbiwire setting the record for timing belts changed in one continuous push? That was fun, to watch and observe. He was gracious enough to lend me a tip on swapping in the new Bosch injectors for my brand-new Golf.

Good times... :D

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
OK, you've got me curious, how many timing belts was that?
But, remember Drivbiwire setting the record for timing belts changed in one continuous push? That was fun, to watch and observe. He was gracious enough to lend me a tip on swapping in the new Bosch injectors for my brand-new Golf.

Good times... :D

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
One day? (impressive in any case!)
Fall of '07, IIRC, OldPoopie did 12 over a weekend at Russ' house. (Maybe 10 or 11?) I know 10 sets were bought through Aaron, at least one or 2 were customer-provided?
I picked up those 10 sets from the local parts depot Saturday morning, I will never forget the questioning look on the depot guys face as he placed them on the counter...and then his disbelief as we casually stated we'd have 'em all installed by Sunday night. :D

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
I know Pete has the record, I saw 13 or 14, I forget. I was also there when Justin did the 10. All these were a while ago, the good old days...B100, Norman, or Ruking might remember, we were all there.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Yes, Pete did app 14 belts! OldPoopie at Russes house was on a ROLL with 10 as I recall! He NewTDI's, then mine, as I recall also!

Last edited:

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
Drivbiwire, Feb 2007:
That sets a record for me in a weekend:
17 timing belts
1 DieselGeek Amsoil filter install
A huge thanks to Jonathon and everybody that came out. It was great meeting some familar faces from the bay area. This was one of the best organized events yet, on time and on schedule the WHOLE EVENT!
Keep those engine clean, get the issues we found and have them fixed or repaired.
A huge thanks and see you all again!
Now let me get back to soaking my hands...just a tad sore...
DB
oldpoopie, Aug 2007:
Justin – AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME. You are welcome back anytime. Marisa and I had an enjoyable time with you as our guest. Thanks for all the hard work (12 TBs, 2 seat installs, 1 set of nozzles, 1 set of lifters). I hope it was a worthwhile trip.

Last edited:

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Yup, 17 belts at Jonathan's house. I watched Pete do the last one. It was a Mark III that dropped in at the last minute. The owner never paid Aaron for her parts. Pete got that one done in about forty minutes.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Yup, 17 belts at Jonathan's house. I watched Pete do the last one. It was a Mark III that dropped in at the last minute. The owner never paid Aaron for her parts. Pete got that one done in about forty minutes.
Ain't no way he did the waterpump at the same time. :cool:

Last edited:

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon

I could host, but I doubt everybody wants to come so far north.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
True, but it has been 6 weeks since the post that he was waiting to hear back from the 2 location possibilities. Add in the fact that we are getting into the holiday/snow/El Nino seasons might make it hard for some to attend. Though it looks like I'll be available November 26/27.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
What is wrong with ANY of the old locations? They arent exactly overflowing with requests...