Oil Drain Plug Torque??

MWD

TDI
'05 Passat Wagon GL
Anyone know what the torque value should be for the engine oil drain plug?

Looked thru the owners manual and this website and haven't been able to find anything. Thanks.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
The aluminum pans on the A4 cars require 22 lb*ft...don't know if the Passat has the same aluminum setup.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
What?...no Pela MWD?
I wonder if a classic bottom side oil change on these Passats is any harder than on my old 98 Jetta Tdi?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Not really......I have owned an A3 an A4 and 2 B4's and I have always changed my oil dropping the lower engine cover.
I have done my new Passat twice now.
no problem

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I use the Pela extractor routinely on my B5V. There is absolutely no reason to pull the drain plug, unless you simply must do things the hard way...

CarlUman

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Touareg
Just short of 700 (think is was 680 something). It's fun to drive but as any HP junkie knows it would be more fun with 450-500hp

HP with these cars is much cheaper
Someday the Passat will have a chip and injectors.

MWD

TDI
'05 Passat Wagon GL
Since there is no way to check transmission fluid level other than to look for leaks and assume that it is all still in the xmission, I decided to buy some Rhino ramps and learn to pull the belly pan. It is not too hard to do. I have an oil analysis pump that will screw onto an Amsoil oil bottle (1 qt thru 10 qt) so I could suck the oil out thru the dipstick tube if I wanted to. But I think it is worthwhile to get under there every 10K or so and look for problems before they get serious....leaks, CV boots etc.

CarlUman

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Touareg
Since there is no way to check transmission fluid level other than to look for leaks and assume that it is all still in the xmission....
Does anyone know if the vag-com will tell the fluid level. I guess I have not spent any time under the hood yet so I just leard this today. Why would they not have the trans dipstick? I assume if it was low an idiot light should show that.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I think I read somewhere that the tranny fluid level is read with the vag-com, but must be at a certain temp...

icnick

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Platinum Gray
You just add VW ATF to the tranny via the fill hole, on the transmission itself, until it starts to overflow. Then you stop. The Vag com is necessary because the ATF in the transmission has to be at a specific temperature or you risk overfilling or underfilling the tranny.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Back to the topic, sort of.
Just bought 4 liters of 505.01 and filter at dealer for $30+, not too bad I guess.
1st oil change on this car this weekend, any advice?

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
The pics and directions for the cartridge type filter will be most useful...my 98 jetta did not have this type. A first for me.
Thanks again...

whizbyu

Just passed 5050 miles. Did my own oil change. The most painful part is taking the engine panels (big front one, and the "U" shaped one behind that). I can see why an oil extractor comes in handy. Only used 4 liters. Now I have one extra 505.01. Yippy! Really cannot imagine how 4 liters will last the next 10K miles. This oil must be really good to last that long.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I have another liter, partially used to top off during the first 5k. But like everybody says, only 4 required for oil change...and my second change comes in only 5k more. I think I'm good for now.