Failed engine mount bolts - modification Q's

goikem

TDI
04 Golf GLS
Failed engine mount bolts - modification Q\'s

Two days ago I hit a bump in the road and my engine dropped a few inches on the right (passenger) side, crushing the exhaust manifold (which is how I realized something was wrong). It appears that when I had the timing belt replaced 20,000 miles ago, the mechanic didn't use any compound on the threads, and one of the bolts worked free, overloading the remaing bolt, which broke. My questions are these:
1) Is there a recommended aftermarket exhaust manifold that would increase performance?
2) Is there an aftermarket skidplate anyone would recommend, so I don't have to replace the broken one with another plastic piece of ****.
3) A friend recommended replacing my mounts with aftermarket mounts, or mounts from a GTI. Any thoughts on the benefits I might derive from this?
Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts.

PS - 2000 Golf GL TDI

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant

Did your mechanic REPLACE the bolts when he changed the timing belt? These are SINGLE use bolts, and that's probably why they broke. The TDI engine mounts are really solid, I wouldn't bother with aftermarket.

Same goes for the exhaust. Dyno tests have pretty much confirmed that on these car the only thing a different exhaust might do is slightly decrease the turbo lag time (which is pretty short on VNT turbos), but won't increase the overall power.

Dieselgeek sells a steel skid plate. There are others available as well. A quick search will provide you with all the information you might need.

goikem

TDI
04 Golf GLS

Turns out it didn't crush the exhaust manifold. Replaced the bolts w/stock, all is fine.