Volkswagen Passat Alltrack

Would this thing work in America?

• Sure, look at the Outback: Plastic cladding sells wagons!

Votes: 156 94.0%
  • No. Europe can keep it.

Votes: 10 6.0%

• Total voters

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
One more OT.

There's a huge following of american cars in Sweden, I've heard that people from the US come over here to buy restored cars from the 40-60's. Mostly Chevy but I think all makes are well presented.
I think that's pretty neat.
The only US-made I've had was a GMC Jimmy 6.2 and a Plymouth Valiant with the 225cui slant six.

Back to topic :D

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
I saw the Audi A6 allroad in the Auto/Bild DVD that came with the magazine during the Genfer Salon, Geneva show. It has an adjustable suspension. Up in the mtns life it up, down on the autobahn let it down. cool!

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
I saw the Audi A6 allroad in the Auto/Bild DVD that came with the magazine during the Genfer Salon, Geneva show. It has an adjustable suspension. Up in the mtns life it up, down on the autobahn let it down. cool!
Range Rovers have been doing that for over 17 years if not longer, so nothing new technology wise there. Just the application

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
While we're wishing, I would hope for a base model 6M, FWD euro wagon and the Alltrack as the top of the line model. It would make more sense to do it this way to have a decent sales volume potential. I would think that a base wagon could be had for about 30k and an Alltrack is likely to be 40-45k.

smoav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Man (sold), 2013 Passat TDI 6M
VW Passt Alltrak article

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/02/vw-bringing-passat-alltrak-to-new-york-as-a-concept-w-poll/

VW bringing Passat Alltrak to New York as a concept [w/poll]

Volkswagen is bringing its diesel-powered Passat Alltrack to the States after all. But don't get too excited – it's only coming in the form of a concept car at the New York Auto Show. At least, for now.

We last saw the Alltrack at the Tokyo Motor Show in November where VW announced that it would offer the all-wheel-drive wagon in the UK with two versions of the 2.0-liter turbo-diesel inline-four. The engines are rated at 138 and 168 horsepower, the smaller of which is available with a manual transmission.

Despite the fact that the Tokyo show car was a full-on production model, VW is calling the New York-bound Alltrack a concept to presumably gauge the U.S. public's perception. If Americans seem open to the Alltrack, it would be a welcome alternative to the pricy Audi Allroad and granola-flavored Subaru models.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
Why is that, though? If I need a lifted, AWD wagon, it's probably because I take it to rough roads quite often, say I like taking hiking trips in isolated wilderness areas.

So do I need heated leather seats, chrome finishings inside, 4-zone automatic aircon, and the whole range of other bling they add in that triom level? Do I need 170hp? Do I need 17" (or is it 18"?) flashy alloy rims with low-profile race tyres?

No, I want cloth upholstery because it's easier to clean after I unload the muddy kids from the back. I need the car to be more rugged than the normal variant, so if anything, I want less fancy electronics inside to cause trouble after a 20cm wade or 3 days in dense mountain fog. I need a reasonable engine with good fuel consumption, not a race engine, and comfortable high profile tyres on regular steel rims to help absorb the shocks on rough roads.

And mostly, I want a reasonable price, paying for what I need (AWD, rugged suspension) and not for bling!

Last edited:

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
Passat Alltrack TDI AWD-wagon concept at New York Auto Show

The all-wheel-drive Passat TDI wagon is back as a concept at the New York Auto Show. It has the same 2.0 CR TDI engine we currently see in the Jetta and Passat. Since this is very different from the Tennessee Passat I don't expect it to appear in the US soon. Perhaps a US version will emerge as a Subaru competitor. It would easily win the fuel mileage battle against an Outback.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-alltrack.html

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
You mean like how the US jetta sedan and Jetta Sportwagen are based on US and European designs? yeah, that could never happen. /s

Oops, that came off a bit more snarky than I intended. Sorry about that. Anyway, I think the Jetta could be an example of the same process, where the wagon gets the (in my opinion) superior european design, and the sedan gets the US design.

Last edited:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
You mean like how the US jetta sedan and Jetta Sportwagen are based on US and European designs? yeah, that could never happen. /s

Oops, that came off a bit more snarky than I intended. Sorry about that. Anyway, I think the Jetta could be an example of the same process, where the wagon gets the (in my opinion) superior european design, and the sedan gets the US design.
That would definitely work for me. I just hope that if it comes over, that the model has some range to its price category- SE, SEL, and Alltrack would fulfill my dreams. While I'm dreaming, throw some 6MTs into the mix.

BlueRam3500

TDI
None Yet, Looking at '06 and beyond.
To all you misinformed club members. AWD is not just an offroad "thing". I live on a quite steep gravel road and two wheelers make my life miserable with the ripples they cause in my drive. When they tear the gravel loose They then end up in the ditch and I have to pull them out, it becomes worse in the winter when they can't even get started up the hill when it snows a little.
I have been driving Subaru Outbacks and a Dodge Cummin 4x4 for years now and have been waiting for some manufacturer to offer a AWD diesel wagon or suv and I have been left down, until now. It appears that VW is going to do it and Mercedes Benz has already announced their GLK. I need some room and the MB appears to be a little cramped in the rear seat and also doesn't have the cargo room of the Alltrack so I for one am waiting for VW to deliver this wagon.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
To all you misinformed club members. AWD is not just an offroad "thing". I live on a quite steep gravel road and two wheelers make my life miserable with the ripples they cause in my drive. When they tear the gravel loose They then end up in the ditch and I have to pull them out, it becomes worse in the winter when they can't even get started up the hill when it snows a little.
I have been driving Subaru Outbacks and a Dodge Cummin 4x4 for years now and have been waiting for some manufacturer to offer a AWD diesel wagon or suv and I have been left down, until now. It appears that VW is going to do it and Mercedes Benz has already announced their GLK. I need some room and the MB appears to be a little cramped in the rear seat and also doesn't have the cargo room of the Alltrack so I for one am waiting for VW to deliver this wagon.
Benz has the R class available in diesel and AWD. I think the ML and GL, too. Pricey, but they are available.

pt00323i

TDI
not yet
we have been waiting for a large tdi wagon with manual, just send over the Passat TDI wagon with 6 speed option for 30K I'll take one. but this is their response when I emailed VWUSA.

"There are no plans to introduce the Passat Alltrack/wagon to the US at this time. We recently introduced it as a concept vehicle only at the NYIAS and will be using this to gauge interest in the vehicle. I have included the link for the article if you are interested: http://www.media.vw.com/pressreleas...ltrack-concept-vehicle-new-york-international.

It is through customer feedback that we are able to determine what they are looking for from us as an automotive manufacturer. I am grateful you took the time to share your interest with us. Check back with our Upcoming and Concept blog at: http://blogs.vw.com/conceptcars/ for more information on what VW is planning for the future or call us at 800-DRIVE-VW(374-8389).

Thank you for visiting vw.com!

Melanie
Volktalk"

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
In otherwords, "We will only sell what we decide the North American market deserves."

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
4800+ pd. towing capacity is not too shabby. You'd need the awd to back that boat in the pic down a ramp, too :).

I just get tired when I see vehicles like that, and the "not coming to NA" taglines, sigh. My vacation trips usually involve distances that span multiple European countries, but they get the friggin car, lol...

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Why I would buy a VW Passat Alltrack...

In Canada we have two seasons...

Snowy Road Season

And Pothole Season

Who needs to drive off road when you have roads like this?

VWOA/VWOC need to wake up and realize that if they want a larger market share, they need to offer a wider model range over here. They will end up selling more cars as the entry buyer will get the Polo, then move up to the Golf/Jetta, and then move into the Passat....

Sometimes I think that in order to be in Brand Marketing, you have to have your brains sucked out your ears with a straw.... Only then will you get hired for the position....

MrVermin

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Looks to me like a tracked vehicle would work better!

When I was told that I would be going to Germany 17 years ago, my boss could not understand why I didn't have a passport. I just responded that there had not been a need. We could travel across the US, Canada, and Mexico, at that time, without a passport. A copy of your birth certificate was enough for a boarder crossing.

AggieFCO

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Hasn't Subi had their Outback available in Europe with their diesel engine for years? I would like to own either the previous generation Outback or this AllTrack, both would suit my outdoor lifestyle very well.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Im actually in EU as i type this... Bring over the Golf Plus or the Polo. I see diesel cars everywhere but my rental is a gasser Golf. New B7 EU Passat is ugly, and I do mean fugly. I am quite surprised that our American Passat B7 is quite the looker compared to the ROW version. But nothing beats a Octavia VRS TDi IMHO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI

Schumey

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T5 2.0 TDI CAAC
Im actually in EU as i type this... Bring over the Golf Plus or the Polo. I see diesel cars everywhere but my rental is a gasser Golf. New B7 EU Passat is ugly, and I do mean fugly. I am quite surprised that our American Passat B7 is quite the looker compared to the ROW version. But nothing beats a Octavia VRS TDi IMHO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Golf Plus? Why? That thing is mainly driven by retirees and kills Jetta sales :D

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Touran or Golf Plus is a nice bigger car. I'm a family of two with occasional need for more seating room, but we do haul a ton of stuff IN the car quite a few times.