www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi A3

Audi A3 Discussions area for Audi A3 TDI (2010+ in Canada & the US).

Old June 16th, 2012, 15:30   #16
UTAH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushgears View Post
My 2012 A3 is averaging 37.5 mpg.
Very close to where I'm at. Ave 37.4 @ 3,000 miles and trending up.

Bill
UTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 21:30   #17
mtbr297

I don't know about mpg but the A3 feels more powerful than the jetta.
mtbr297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:58   #18
letsgobobby

TDI(s): none yet

Yet another new car to consider (I thought I was sold on the Golf). Now the A3 TDI Premium Plus, a used BMW 335d...
letsgobobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:16   #19
DubFamily
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: It's still a diesel!

First off: The Jetta TDI comes with 16 inch wheels; just wanted to confirm you have 17s on your's OP?

Second; the A3 weighs about 150 Lbs more auto compared to auto; so that will factor in as well

Third; According to VW's website, the '12 Jetta does not have a DSG, does your gear selector say DSG on it? Seems wierd to me. But if you look at all the specs pages on the VW site, any car with a DSG specifies "Available DSG" etc; while the base level Golf and the Jetta TDI both state "Auto with sport mode and Tiptronic".

A few things that could effect mileage quite easily
Dub said it better.
2014 BMW 328d xDrive
Member SSBMWO

Last edited by DubFamily; June 23rd, 2012 at 08:18.
DubFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 11:58   #20
chummer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Ave. 36

After my HPDP failed and Audi install a new fuel system on my A3, my mileage have not been so great. I don't know why, maybe the new injectors need breaking in. It's been about 12k since the HPDP failed and it's not like before, hopefully it's just need to break in again?
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 19:38   #21
rotts4u
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubFamily View Post
First off: The Jetta TDI comes with 16 inch wheels; just wanted to confirm you have 17s on your's OP?

Second; the A3 weighs about 150 Lbs more auto compared to auto; so that will factor in as well

Third; According to VW's website, the '12 Jetta does not have a DSG, does your gear selector say DSG on it? Seems wierd to me. But if you look at all the specs pages on the VW site, any car with a DSG specifies "Available DSG" etc; while the base level Golf and the Jetta TDI both state "Auto with sport mode and Tiptronic".

A few things that could effect mileage quite easily
I am not sure where you looked on VWs website but it does have a DSG on the TDI models as shown here on this info from VW

Leather-wrapped, multi-function steering wheel with shifter paddles (for DSG® automatic)
Technical
6-speed DSG® automatic transmission with Tiptronic® and Sport mode
Optional Features
First Aid Kit
TDI Appearance Package
Mat Kit
Protection Kit
Carpeted Mat Kit
Ground Effects Kit
Luggage Net
Splash Guards
TDI Mat Kit
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 18:17   #22
DubFamily
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
I am not sure where you looked on VWs website but it does have a DSG on the TDI models as shown here on this info from VW
Where did you grab that from?

http://www.vw.com/en/models/jetta/tr...tta~2FTDI.html

http://www.vw.com/en/models/jetta/tr...aff410903f159a

If you look at any "known" DSG vehicle the same page specifically says DSG on it. For the Jetta TDI it says "6 Speed Automatic" It may just be a typo or incorrect info, but that's why I was asking if your specific car actually says "DSG" on the shift selector
Dub said it better.
2014 BMW 328d xDrive
Member SSBMWO
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:19   #23
WutGas?
Veteran Member

It's a typo, or oversight. From your links, go to the "compare trims", go to the technical tab, and scroll down to the transmissions.
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:23   #24
DubFamily
Veteran Member

That's why I was wondering, thanks
Dub said it better.
2014 BMW 328d xDrive
Member SSBMWO
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:47   #25
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
About 9 months ago I bought a 2012 JEtta sedan for myself and thus far over the 15500 miles I have averaged 40.5mpg hand calculated on fuelly. I liked it so much I talked my wife into getting rid of her BMW 135i vert and into an A3 TDI which she really like too.
Thus far I only have about 1600 miles on the A3 and the mileage on it is nowhere near the Jetta. I don't think she is as obsessed with mileage as I am so her driving habits may be slightly worse than mine but she also drives slightly more highway miles to and from work than I do. Thus far on three tanks she is averaging 34.5mpg. This weekend I even drove it on the interstate for about 200 miles and went sub 70mph and didn't get the normal 48-50mph (display) that I get on my Jetta when I do the same with no Ac running.
Both cars are DSG autos but they do have different tires with the Jetta running on bridgestones and the Audi on continentals. They may be different sizes too s I need to check that.
I know the engines are slightly different but I noted that on fuelly the A3 TDI just does not produce the same MPG as the Jetta TDi. Any ideas why anyone?
Not that I am complaining over 34.5 mph compared to the 20 mpg on the premium gas burning BMW but I expected more like 38ish.
First off the EPA's 30 C/42 H for both are exactly the same. Whether one or both of you can get EXACTLY the same mpg under similar or even to DIFFERENT conditions is academically interesting, but you have acknowledged they are different in the real world. You both in effect are documenting a 17.4% difference (-/+ 6 mpg). You have so many cross and competing variables that it is hard to assign consistent values to the different variables. It would appear that the underlying assumptions is that both of you post EXACTLY the same mpg, with different drivers and different conditions and at different mileages (new (1,600 miles vs more broken in (15,000 miles) and probably different tire sizes. Indeed, you have not posted an expected RANGE of differences. Now I am not saying that you can not achieve par nor even do better, but it will take a lot more coordination, albeit the "Taylor's" (who set the 84 mpg + record on a single Passat tank with an EPA H of 43 mpg., as lt applies to Jetta's 58 to 64 mpg)

So the easiest way is to take her (each others actually) car and drive it for a tank or two in each's situations (your commute). I suspect she will get close to 34.5 in her romps in YOUR car and you close to 40.5 in yours, in HER car. You can easily see if your mpg postings (in her car) matches your documented mpg @ 1,600 miles (in your car). Keep in mind you have 15k of break in and that easily can mean 1 to 3 mpg difference. Next it is well know that different tire sizes and widths (bigger) than oem normally DROPS mpg. The oem size for Jetta sedan is 205/55/16. Sizes for A3 (JSW) are BOTH wider and bigger 225/45/17, 225/40/18. This can cause variance, easily from 1 to 4 mpg. The part that is unknown, but I suspect CAN post the most variance are different drivers (0 to 10 mpg). Another is diesels have different parameters than gassers like the BMW. It is normally best to know what they are and operate within them. Not being used to the differences can mean 1 to 4 mpg differences. Another quirk that has been known for a long time are Sedans/ JSW's generally post slightly different mpgs. I have talked to many a TDI owner (@ GTG's) who have gone from the TDI sedan to a TDI JSW (A3) and can not figure out why the differences in mpg, 0 to 4 mpg. Just those differences alone, not counting driver and situation differences can easily account for the 17.4% differences.

Last edited by ruking; June 27th, 2012 at 07:54.
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:47   #26
rotts4u
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubFamily View Post
Sorry about the earlier post you are correct. The Jetta TDI does in fact have 16" wheels not 17" as I reported earlier. I am not sure of the circumference is much different between the two sizes so I will have to check that out to see if there is a significant difference which would of course effect final gearing etc.
Old July 7th, 2012, 18:42   #27
bmike
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin63 View Post
Not sure if this helps, but my wife and I have actually done comparative mileage drives. Generally, she averages 5-7 mpg less than I do driving the same course (we drive from LA area to SF Bay Area to visit family several times a year - about 800 mile round trip). Personally, I think it is because she is not as smooth on the throttle, and does a lot of nervous type of on-off the throttle movements. She also will stay on the throttle to a stop or red light and immediately brake instead of coasting - I think part of that erratic throttle habit - she's just more of a nervous driver than I am.
If this is the case for the OP, your wife has pressitis. Driving with your foot always pressed, either on the gas or brake, (like F1 drivers), will lower MPG's; teach her the art of the coast. 10% gains are easily achieved.
Old July 9th, 2012, 20:22   #28
rotts4u
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmike View Post
If this is the case for the OP, your wife has pressitis. Driving with your foot always pressed, either on the gas or brake, (like F1 drivers), will lower MPG's; teach her the art of the coast. 10% gains are easily achieved.
I wish it was that simple but even with me driving the car on the interstate at a fixed and low speed like 68mph it just will not match my TDI jetta. I guess there is some difference other than the tires that is causing the difference in mpg
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:41   #29
rotts4u
Veteran Member

Well I figured out about 2mpg of the difference. Now the Jetta has almost 32000 miles and the Audi A3 is almost 11,000.

First all there is no (as is ZERO) statistical difference in either cars mileage now vs the first tanks in it. No break in improvement or anything like that. However, at about 29,000 miles on th Jetta I took off the stock Bridgestone EL400 tires and replaced them with MXV4 Michelins in the same stock size and the MPG of the Jetta did fall by approx 2 mpg. So now instead of the Jetta getting 46-48 on the interstate it is most like 44.xxx at a steady 70mpg.

My weekly 525 mile tanks on the Jetta have now fell to below 40 to about 39.xxx vs 41 before the tires. The Audi has the OEM Continentals so if they are even softer than the Michelins then there could still be another 1-2 mpg in the tires. Fuely is showing the cars much closer together now than before.

Once I change tires on the Audi I may go with the MXV4 or maybe the MXM4 H rated instead of the Vs I used on the Jetta
Old January 8th, 2013, 18:39   #30
Nyaristo

TDI(s): 2011 a3

I'm getting 39-40 on my A3 it 2011 that's just me in it and all i do is high way i have been getting 450 a tank with only 1 gall left
Nyaristo is offline   Reply With Quote