www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted

Private TDI Items for Sale/Wanted VW TDI/Diesel related items for wanted and for sale by private individuals. Group Buys and commercial posts should be in the "Vendor & GroupBuy" section.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 21:52   #1
p1bump

Default feeler.... r32 bushings in MkIV control arms for sale $145

This is a feeler, I may move forward within a week or two and start offering these.

MkIV o.e. control arms with R32 bushings installed for sale, rubber o/e bushings only, no poly.
$125 shipped to your door (USA) plus core charge of $100 ($225 total) or for $115 for local pickup/delivery (Concord, CA)
Option of having your ball joints installed for the cost of balljoints alone. I'll get whichever ones you wish.

Sold on an exchange basis, with a core charge to be refunded upon receipt of good condition MkIV arms.
FedEx or UPS to you, core charge returned when I get your used arms.

This makes it way easier to setup for a simple arm swap and installation in the same day without your car being torn apart.
For all MkIV Golf, Jetta, Beetle, GTI and GLI models.

Let me know. I may also start buying used arms for $40 per set outright.

Would the TDIclubers be interested in this service?

of course I'm feeling it out, including the price folks would feel is a good deal. a penny for your thoughts, ok, I'm asking for your thoughts for free....

Last edited by p1bump; March 7th, 2011 at 09:19. Reason: revised pricing
p1bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 15:05   #2
GotEuroCorrado

being that the r32 bushings are only $10.50 each from rockauto.com people will essentially be paying you $120 or so for you to... press in a bushing? serious? any mechanic would press them for you for like $30-40. its the labor to get them out and then get your car aligned thats costing the money. no offence just dont want to see my peoples taken advantage of.
smoking deals on TIMING BELT KITS: http://tinyurl.com/ov57jfl
GotEuroCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:47   #3
p1bump

I haven't found them there for 10.50, but i did find LEMFORDER Part # 2713201 for $15.03 (r32 specific), for 2 and shipping it's $41 and change at which time it's better to order a kit from MJM or another reputable vendor cause you also get the new front bushings as well and shipping to your door for that price or better.

As for what I'm thinking of offering, it's a lot of convenience for those who do not have the equipment, experience or desire to learn how to do more than removing the old and replacing the new (to them) control arms loaded with the guts they want on the spot. No needing to run around town or the tool shop to buy/try/figure things out.

I'm located in the San Francisco region, labor costs here are very high at machine shops and garages. But no matter, for the kind of person who would enjoy this convenience this would be great.

It's not just $40 for pressing bushings, but also would include shipping to your door with an extra set of used OEM arms, repainted (perhaps sandblasted first before painting if needed) and ready for install. I'm also risking my control arms out with the possibility that folks will not send them back.

It certainly can make one's potential job a much more convenient control arm SWAP right there on the spot.
This may not be for everyone. But, I would have enjoyed it and see it as a service for a lot of folks...

Is the price wrong?

Last edited by p1bump; March 4th, 2011 at 09:53.
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:38   #4
GotEuroCorrado

guess they out of those... so here is another

partsgeek.com part number 7479-01079390. $31 shipped for two. like rockauto, its a reputable dealer.

if you have the knowledge and drive to remove the control arm yourself i dont see how you could not have the same drive to put in a bushing or go to your local shop and get it done.

if you include sandblasting/ paint/ powder coat i can begin to see the value in what you offer.

also you speak about the risk of sending your control arms out. you dont risk anything, you charge people full price and then you refund when they send you their core...
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:38   #5
GotEuroCorrado

partsgeek.com part number 7479-01079390. $31 shipped for two. like rockauto, its a reputable dealer.

if you have the knowledge and drive to remove the control arm yourself i dont see how you could not have the same drive to put in a bushing or go to your local shop and get it done.

if you include sandblasting/ paint/ powder coat i can begin to see the value in what you offer.

also you speak about the risk of sending your control arms out. you dont risk anything, you charge people full price and then you refund when they send you their core...
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:48   #6
p1bump

if I was sandblasting and powdercoating at that price why not just ask folks for an address to send money, wouldn't that be a good deal?

anywho, the idea was to ask folks how convenient they would consider this service. so, when I offered a penny for thoughts or asked for them for free, I respectfully recant that part and go back to see if it'd be something you would like alone.

apparently it's not for you..... and that's ok.

but I did take something constructive from your remarks and made changes. thank you.
Old March 6th, 2011, 15:31   #7
p1bump

something occurred to me today while pressing another set of bushings...

one of the greatest problems I have, which is also why I feel it could be of value, is that in my household, there is not another vehicle to drive while one is apart to do this job. And if the only days you have off are saturday/sunday shops which do this are likely are not open. And doing it after work on a weekday with a family and children is not possible... then this facilitates and makes it a simple bolt in/out affair.

unless at least part of the above describes you, it's probably not of any value to you. But for me, and lots of married and or parent types out there, this could make the impossible simple and relatively affordable for a weekend afternoon affair.

just sayin....
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:18   #8
p1bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotEuroCorrado View Post

couldn't locate that part number either.
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:37   #9
dieselfuel
Veteran Member

Trust me, any bushing form $10-15 will be a piece of crap in my opinion.

I would only want the Genuine Audi TT bushing for the rear and a Genuine VW bushing for the front.

I've heard too many horror stories here that the aftermarket bushings only lasting 40,000 miles (or less!). 40,000 miles come up WAY too soon.

I have 143,000 miles on my stock bushings and they just now really need changed out.

Some things I just want Genuine VW (or Audi). Suspension pieces, strut bearings, wheel bearings, thermostat, just to name a few...
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:07   #10
p1bump

i hear where you are coming from.... but I try NOT to go to the dealer to buy lots of things due solely to the cost.

I have several wholesale accounts at local auto parts houses and one particular source has agreeable prices on FEQ (which stands for first equipment quality). I was skeptical of the brand but figured i'd give it a shot and when I recently ordered a set of LCA bushings to check them out Meyle is what was sent.

What was misordered was the regular rear MkIV bushings with the kidney shaped holes instead of the solid ones. Back to the shop I go... it takes time to iron some things out with inexperienced countermen/women, BUT Meyle is what showed up.

Some of the packages for Meyle products indicate Chinese origin, the front bushings in specific. Such is the world we live in..

Last edited by p1bump; March 8th, 2011 at 11:32.
Old March 8th, 2011, 14:43   #11
GotEuroCorrado

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1bump View Post
couldn't locate that part number either.
dont know why the part numbers are moving around but here is another.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...m_bushing.html

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/con...t_quattro.html

also, all these bushings act the same and have the same lifespan. ive used brands like moog and faq without issues on multiple cars.

lifespan will be decreased perhaps if you use a different material.

regarding yours 140k bushings... ive seen cars with 50k and the bushings are wiped out. this is not a mileage issue but an issue with how much the suspension travels and the weathering conditions the part has to endure.
Old March 10th, 2011, 15:45   #12
dieselfuel
Veteran Member

Meyle is what you don't want. Chineese doesn't really have anything to do with it. It's Meyle. They have low (er) standards. You may want to find Febi, or another brand but I can't think of it now.... it's Lemo... or something as I remember...

I'm afaid if you go with the Meyle, you're asking for trouble, imo.
Old March 14th, 2011, 20:48   #13
p1bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
Meyle is what you don't want. Chineese doesn't really have anything to do with it. It's Meyle. They have low (er) standards. You may want to find Febi, or another brand but I can't think of it now.... it's Lemo... or something as I remember...

I'm afaid if you go with the Meyle, you're asking for trouble, imo.
Eeek...

Well, Meyle is what I installed in our '04 wagon a few weeks ago. I just pressed another set of bushings into another set of arms today, this set was from VW. The Meyles sure had a lot more rubber, just like the brochure says, the material didn't seem/feel as stiff as the OE bushing.

A cross section view of the two bushings would be exactly as the Meyle advertisement shows.... don't know if that means it's better or, as you implied, no better at all.

The other brand you are thinking of is Lemforder I bet.
Old March 19th, 2011, 22:03   #14
AUGSX
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 mostly city/ 43 best

I would be interested in something like this.

2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd

Build thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=307477
AUGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 08:33   #15
p1bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGSX View Post
I would be interested in something like this.
which bushings would you prefer?

VW O.E.
Meyle HD
Lemförder