www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old June 30th, 2010, 22:45   #1
VW97JettaTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VW97JettaTDI
Exclamation G60 brake upgrade and failing

Ok so a while back i installed MKIV discs on my MKIII tdi, then i moved to braided lines and finally G60 calipers in front. after installing the front G60's with bigger rotors and bleeding the lines i started running into problems. i would have to pump the brakes to get them to grab. i bled the system a ton more and still not enough power. Eventually i gave in and bought a larger master cylinder 25mm and still i have to pump the brake once, and then apply. After that of course the brakes will lock up and launch me out of the seat. But what gives? I purged the lines and every thing??

VW97JettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 23:37   #2
TurbinePower
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Bench bleed the new master cylinder properly?
Small stable of VWs (projects)...
'80 Dasher Diesel, full restoration in the slow burner works
'82 Quantum "Coupe" 1.6 CIS gas power, daily driver
'89 Fox wagon (Korva!), the new back porch project. Suspension and interior work in progress!
TurbinePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:24   #3
VW97JettaTDI
Veteran Member

you mean did i bleed the master cylinder seperatly prior to install? No But on the other hand i am getting the same response i got when i had the original master cylinder on. I'll bench bleed it any way.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 14:41   #4
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

I don't know about MK 3 cars but on MK 4 cars you need to use the vcds to bleed the front brakes once the fluid has been let out completely. IIRR this has to be done on all ABS cars. Once the master cly. has lost all the fluid you have to run the pump to bleed the ABS part of the brake computer. You only need to do this on the front brakes not the rear according to the manual. The VCDS has a section in it to follow and will walk you through the bleeding.
2003 Jetta 216 injectors, race pipe, OMI, 2.5 cat back pipe, Sachs power clutch,Lightweight fly wheel,Rocketchip 3.0,Dieselgeek race pipe,Borla SS exhaust,Dieselgeek Intercooler pipes,Pierburg MAF,EU cluster with LED Boost gauge,,
Ventectomy,Alientech window,Old Navy ccv filter,Catch can,Dieselgeek short shifter,ATE power slot rotors,Porterfield pads,Shine suspension,Shine rear sway bar,TT pedals & foot rest,Cat fuel filter 2 micron,Alum skid plate,Euro headlights and switch,5 Brake light mod.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:41   #5
VW97JettaTDI
Veteran Member

Well on my mkIII I dont have ABS so that would not be the case. Pulling it appart as well as the engine this weekend and going to try and bench test it.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 13:17   #6
VW97JettaTDI
Veteran Member

PS, Drive shafts were fun. Any one needs a hint. 12point star and a hammer is the best investment ever. To bad the 50 people i asked before and as i was doing it didn't have this advice :/

Old November 23rd, 2010, 15:19   #7
WillHill9

TDI(s): 91 GTI

Bench bleed or use a pressure bleeder, I made one out of a bicycle pump. I don't remember about mk3 but I know mk2 has a valve attached to the real axle for the rear brakes so if you bleed on jackstands you have to lift axle or disconnect the valve lever.
WillHill9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 15:22   #8
VW97JettaTDI
Veteran Member

Yeah, i gave up on the breaks for now and am working on the engine some more. Ill post updates when i get them.

Old November 24th, 2010, 06:24   #9
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

I have found when doing conversions that you often don't have the same component geometry as the original donor. As such, I typically vacuum bleed the system, from each caliper, with them not mounted on the car, and instead rotated slightly so the bleeder screw is oriented up.

When I first started doing swaps, no matter how fast or hard I bled the system, it would always have air in it. Since I realized what was going on, I have never had an issue.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 09:53   #10
Frankencar
Veteran Member

dead wheel bearing causing terrible knock-back?
Frankencar is offline   Reply With Quote