www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 16th, 2007, 13:21   #1
pinkfreud55

TDI(s): 2005 golf
Default 2005 TDI - loss of power, stalled, and won't start (noob)

Hello. I am at a loss with my problem. A bit of background on how the trouble started. Not sure if any of this is relevant to the actual problem. Please note that I live in cold climate and drive considerable (1000kms per week).

1. Check engine light on for about 7 months.

2. 3 weeks ago, air bag light comes on.

3. 1 week ago, wiper blades don't work, so I bring it in to a mechanic who raises the hood, gets to the thing that controls the arms and tightens it (no problem with the motor). Closes hood, and off I go. Stop the car, start the car and drive a bit. At a red light, I stall the car and it won't start... it turns over but does not start. So I bring it back to the mechanic. While waiting a friend checks the fuses (taking each out and putting back in). Then it start.... it is rough at first, then it starts. Not sure what that means.

4. Drive it for another week (600 kms). This morning, start the car drive it for 5 min, then loss of power while driving. It won't start.

What are the possible causes. Is it electrical. Could it be fuel/water related. (i.e. in #3 above when it was rough at first was that because of air in the fuel???).

I am at a loss. No VW dealer in my parts. Could this all be related to MAF (as I believe that this is why the check engine light might be on), or related to electrical.

Please help.

I have it towed to a mechanic's place (smart and honest fella and had a TDI in the past).

Thank you.
pinkfreud55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 13:40   #2
daedalus
Veteran Member

You can unplug the MAF. The problem will go away if the MAF is bad.

Can your mechanic scan the computer for fault codes? If so, please post the results here.

Where are you located? Perhaps there is another TDICLUB.COM member in your area who has a Vag-Com and can do a scan.
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles
SOLD at 140,800 miles - Torque Converter again! Now pushing a B6 gasser wagon
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 13:46   #3
2004STARWARSTDI
Veteran Member

Question no start

When was fuel filter replaced? Are you sing Bio? Where is Timmins? Get the cel code read and report it here. Does your mechanic have a VagCom? Or is he just throwing parts at it. AutoZone and advanced auto as others will read cel code for free.
Glow plugs 101 Ver. 2.0
Engine CEL Code Lookup. Turbo Hose To Egr Fix - TDIClub Forums
2004STARWARSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 16:13   #4
pinkfreud55

Man you guy are fast!!!!

First off, Timmins is in Northern Ontario, Canada. (Can it be condensation in the fuel????.... someone who drive school buses here suggested this as a possibility).

As far as disconnecting the Manifold, I'll have my mechanic consider this (in fact, I'll have him post on this site).

He does have a portable computer thingy. He stated that it was the Manifold for the engine light, BUT he cannot read the Air Bag light (not sure if that means he does not get codes... I assume so though). I will have him post the codes here. He has not charged me in the past to read them (i.e. engine light).

I believe I had the fuel filter at 160kms. Have to double check.

The first time the problem occured, was after the car sat overnight in the cold, then I brought it into a heated garage (mechanic) while he fixed the wiper blades... then I drove it a bit then then it died and would not start... The second time.... last night... the fuel light was on... oops... I added half a tank then it sat in the cold overnight... next morning... rough start... then drove it for 3 kms.... then lack of power... to no power... to no start.

What are your thoughts on this condensation possibility.

PF
Old December 16th, 2007, 16:16   #5
VDUB TECH

probably needs a egr valve.you have a jetta right?
VDUB TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 18:08   #6
pinkfreud55

Nope. It is a 2005 golf -tdi. What is an egr valve?

Any thoughts about the cold temperature/waxing/gelling of the fuel. Could this be the cause.

My car is at the garage right now so I don't have access, but I'm thinking of getting an additive to mix with the fuel. Or am I just hoping.

pf
Old December 16th, 2007, 18:19   #7
daedalus
Veteran Member

I hope this does not come out sounding wrong...

TDI engines need someone with a specialized knowledge to properly work on them. You can browse these forums and find numerous horror stories of very competent general mechanics, or even diesel truck mechanics, totally messing up a TDI. These are special engines requiring specialized knowledge to diagnose and repair.

You did the right thing by asking here first. The mechanic who now has the car may be qualified, or not - we cannot tell. Attempting to repair by replacing parts (MAF, EGR, etc) is a lose - lose situation. You get to pay for the parts, absorb the frustration and the car may actually be harmed by a lack of specific knowledge.

I don't know what resources you may have available in your area. Did you check the "trusted mechanics" sticky? You really need someone with the specialized experience to work on your car.
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles
Old December 16th, 2007, 18:53   #8
pinkfreud55

Well, therein lies the problem. The closest "qualified" mechanic from the sticky is 600kms away.... hmmm. Hence coming to the board for ideas/answers. I appreciate the recommendation/advice, but when you're in isolation (the nearest dealer is 300kms away) the internet brings you closer.

By the sounds of it, a TDI may not have been the best purchase after all. Don't take this the wrong way, but your post is scaring me more than the horror stories you refer to.

My plan, and hope, was to find answers and ideas to my problem. I am willing to purchase the Vag Com for the mechanic. The guy impresses as quite bright and deductive in his thinking, and a fast learner. I was hoping that this could be a resource for myself, and perhaps him, if required.

PF

Again though, any comments on my last post.

PM
Old December 16th, 2007, 19:17   #9
daedalus
Veteran Member

Not trying to frighten... trying to help

Waxing is, of course, a possibility. Can you get a container of Powerservice 911 in the red bottle? That may help if you do have a fuel problem.

I would strongly suggest you buy a Vag-Com cable, the real one, as soon as possible. Don't fall into the el-cheapo eBay version trap. It's an invaluable tool for TDI maintenance. Especially considering how far you are from other resources. It's really what you need now to help us to help you.
Old December 16th, 2007, 20:46   #10
pinkfreud55

Vag-Com: I've checked there website. Not sure what exactly I need from there products. Can you recommend.

The PS: Is it sold in WalMart and the like, or is it also specialized?

Thanks for ur help.

PF
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:41   #11
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfreud55
Vag-Com: I've checked there website. Not sure what exactly I need from there products. Can you recommend.

The PS: Is it sold in WalMart and the like, or is it also specialized?

Thanks for ur help.

PF
This version of vag-com is what you need. It aint cheap. But you/your mechanic can learn more about the car's computer than you really want to, and even have a little fun with it.

PS...Walmart (at least in the states) carries White & grey bottles. In the winter, use the white bottle - anti gel, lubrication, and cetane boost. Grey bottle is lubrication and cetane boost only. Being in the northern climate, they may also have Diesel 911. Truck stops or big truck stores should carry Diesel 911 or something like it. Just make sure it does not have alcohol - tends to rot fuel lines, IIRC.

HTH

Tony
Diesel fleet: '15 Jetta TDI SE; '06 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; '06 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; Past Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:03   #12
Antsrcool

Anyone think maybe we have a relay 109 issue??? That may explain the stalling and not starting back up again for a bit. And what were the codes?
Antsrcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:32   #13
pinkfreud55

Thanks Tony. I will look for it (or similar product) today. What it the 109 relay issue???

Thanks again

Pf
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:39   #14
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

Relay 109 is the main power relay. IT is known to have issues over time. In particular the earlier cars had bad, possibly under rated contacts.

Look up 'relay 109' on tdiparts.com...they're only ~$15.

Tony
Diesel fleet: '15 Jetta TDI SE; '06 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; '06 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; Past Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 06:37   #15
daedalus
Veteran Member

Tony, it could be 109. I'm just trying to prevent them throwing a bunch of parts at the car and hoping one will work. He really needs to run a Vag-Com scan.