"Hill-holder" feature? Surely not...?

Kiscica

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS 5M, indigo blue
\"Hill-holder\" feature? Surely not...?

Hi all,

I just got my brand-new, <font color="blue"> indigo blue </font> Jetta Wagon GLS on April 1st, and no fooling
The search here in SoCal was long and frustrating, with dealers disappointing me right and left. I was just about to go out of state to get it when one showed up right in my backyard.

I paid way too much (MSRP) for it but, as the dealer who finally came through for me (Robin at Power VW of Corona) pointed out, her price for that car is $300 over invoice like everyone else's -- when she doesn't have any!
I was beginning to think I'd never be able to get one here, and this one was almost precisely the car I wanted (even down to my and my wife's first choice color and the Monsoon audio -- in an ideal world I would have liked ESP too but I'm not complaining) with nothing I didn't want. It was worth it to me.

It's my first new car -- hell, it's the first car I ever spent more than a few hundred bucks for. (My most recent car was a beat-up 82 diesel Jetta that I acquired by paying off its owner's parking tickets for him... I don't know how many hundreds of thousands of miles it had on it, but it still got close to 50 MPG! Before that I had an '81 Rabbit, and before that a '72 MB 280SE, almost as old as I am!) But there was no question in my mind that my first new car should be a diesel. I learned to drive in Hungary on a diesel Lada (a Soviet car), and the '82 Jetta had served me well, so I already had a soft spot in my heart for the powerplant. That combined with the fact that I have suddenly gone from within biking distance of work to a 130 mi. round-trip commute in an area (LA/Orange County) where gas is currently about 40 cents a gallon more than diesel made an already virtually foregone conclusion all the more unavoidable. The possibility of using biodiesel sealed it for me as I am not too comfortable with contributing 300-odd lbs. of CO2 to global warming with every tank of fuel I burn.

I love this car so far and hope fervently that it doesn't disappoint me, for I would like to keep it for at least 10 years and a correspondingly large number of hundreds of thousands of miles. Maybe that's being too optimistic :) but I'm going to try for it. I was quite ambivalent about buying a new car to begin with, but now that I have taken the plunge (and especially given the large number of -- highway -- miles I'm going to be putting on it in the first few years) I feel that I should at least make it last!

OK, enough rambling, here's my question. One thing that Robin happened to mention while we were doing the paperwork puzzled me. She said that she loved this car because "it doesn't roll back when you're starting on a hill." When I pressed for details she said that it had a feature by which you could take your foot off the brake on an incline and the car would stay put until you let out the clutch.

Now, I've never heard of such a thing in a VW. If I recall correctly Subaru, or some other Japanese manufacturer boasted such a "hill-holder" feature at one point, for all I know still do, but it seemed odd to me that none of VW's literature, nor the owner's manual (which I was browsing through in the sales office by that point) mentioned such a thing.

Out of curiosity I went out back and tried letting out the brakes on an incline with the clutch in. Naturally the car rolled back
and that coupled with the fact that I can find no mention of such a feature leads me to believe that she had no idea what she was talking about. But she had insisted that this particular car had this feature and I just wonder where she got the idea from?

One possibility that comes to mind is that, given how the superior low-end torque of the diesel engine makes starting off on an incline relatively painless, she might have just THOUGHT that the car had a hill-holder!

In any case I'm not going to miss the feature myself, though I was hoping it would be easier to persuade my slightly reluctant wife to learn to drive a stick if she knew it wouldn't roll back. She will have as long a commute as I do (in the opposite direction -- we basically split the difference) and I would like to get her into as fuel-efficient a car as possible -- she doesn't want a new car, but we'd love to find a used diesel. And we all know there's no point in getting one of those and then sticking a slushbox on it!

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M

I am quite sure that VW has never marketed a car that has the hill holder feature your sales rep claims your car has. I've heard of it in the Subaru as you mentioned, but not in any VW. Perhaps she's the kind who will say anything to get a sales. Sort of like the rep who claimed my Passat I brought from him was as fast as a Vette....
You should have had Robin show you this feature on another VW in her lot. Hill holder? I don't think so...

Futureman

Veteran Member

I was once told that the glowplugs are activated as soon as you open the drivers door. Where did he get that?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)

Hi all,

I just got my brand-new, <font color="blue"> indigo blue </font> Jetta Wagon GLS on April 1st, (snip)
She said that she loved this car because "it doesn't roll back when you're starting on a hill." When I pressed for details she said that it had a feature by which you could take your foot off the brake on an incline and the car would stay put until you let out the clutch.

Now, I've never heard of such a thing in a VW. If I recall correctly Subaru, or some other Japanese manufacturer boasted such a "hill-holder" feature at one point,
Umm, Studebaker in, like, 1949 or at least the early '50's had a "hill-holder" on manual transmission cars. Also, you could throw the auto transmissions on those cars in "R" (when you ready to "Race", Tyrone!) any speed over 5 mph and they'd just freewheel.
Us grey-haired, broken down, old, cheap retired guys like creative thought but I think that someone in South Bend was on the wakky bakky!
Bruce Henderson, Wallace NC
(PS Due to the idle stability of the diesel engine, you can let the clutch out slowly on a hill and it won't stall -- it will just catch up and pull away at idle -- but that's NOT a hill-holder. Tell Robin to get her shoes off and get back in the kitchen.)

eisenkrote

Veteran Member

It is incredibly easy to start the 5-speed TDI on a hill, in part because of the torque, but mostly (I believe) because the VW engineers did a wonderful job with the engine feedback control. The car will climb rhino ramps, curbs, you name it, just by slipping the clutch (in first; I did stall it once by forgetting to downshift). This is not true of all diesels, however. I've driven a diesel Opel and a diesel Lancia (a wretched car with nice upolstery..) and you had to wind them up pretty seriously to launch up a hill. If not, their engines tended to bog down much more abruptly than I was used to with gasoline engines, probably because of the high compression.

eisenkrote

Veteran Member

By the way, this
Tell Robin to get her shoes off and get back in the kitchen.
is totally uncalled for. Women sales reps DO NOT have a monopoly on misinformation.

Do you
...grey-haired, broken down, old, cheap retired guys
have any daughters??

E.
Proud uncle of three brilliant young women

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer

Subaru only sells cars with temporary hill hold feature.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver

If I need a hill holder... I use the lever next to the driver's seat.

It also works as a "Immediate Direction Changer" if you yank up on it and turn the steering wheel.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE

Our Subaru had the hill-hold feature. My TDi does not. No biggie! I feel the TDi has the easiest clutch in the world!

P.S.- Play nice, you guys!

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White

They got the door open glow plug activation right from the VW owner's manual. My 99 NB manual tells me I have that feature, when in actuality I don't. The manuals loose a lot in translation and constant automobile evolution.

Futureman

Veteran Member

hmm, i didn't know that, I guess they updated it before I got it, without updating the dealer's knowledge

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black

Speaking of features that my VW sales rep told me I had, but I can't seem to get to work...
My guy told me I could shift gears while the car was in cruise control. I didn't believe him, but didn't say anything. I have yet to be able to do it successfully. Every time I hit the clutch, it disengages the cruise, which I would expect. I haven't tried it without the clutch yet, but I sure am suspicious...

- hoffer

bigun

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI

I get the same response from the car too. The cruise disengages and starts slowing down. Haven't heard of that one before.

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green

Audi had a automatic transmission once that did the opposite of a hill hold feature. It was on all 5000 Turbo Diesels. The shifter had a green D on it. This feature would make the transmission go into neutral when you would let up on the throttle. Push the throttle about a 1/2" and the transmission would go back into gear. The only advantage I could see was that you could coast pretty well and the engine didn't vibrate as much at idle (no load on the engine). I seen this feature on a test Rabbit Turbo Diesel too. It did help the vibration at idle problem.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI

I would not recommend trying to keep the cruise engaged out of gear, even if for a split second.

I accidentally hit the resume button on my 96 GTI while I was coasting in Neutral. (Not exactly sure why I was doing that... but I digress). The engine revs shot up like a rocket. I caught it prior to redline, but it was still quite a scare.

Logically... that makes sense, since the car has no way to know it's in Neutral. And if cruise is engaged, and the car is going slower than it's set speed... it says, "Go!"

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green

How would you change gears on a manual without using the clutch? I always thought the switch on the clutch would disengage the cruise. It does on my car and every VW I've seen with factory cruise. If it doesn't on your car, I would check that switch. It must be stuck in the on position.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)

Speaking of features that my VW sales rep told me I had, but I can't seem to get to work...
My guy told me I could shift gears while the car was in cruise control.
(snip)
- hoffer
._. What this whole thread tells us grey-haired, broken down, old, cheap retired guys who drive slow is that the TDI is the red-headed stepchile of the whole VW world. Is that cause they think "those buyers will accept anything to get that kinda mileage, so it doesn't matter how badly we treat them, how little effort we put into those cars, and how much we rip them off"?
Bruce Henderson, Wallace NC
(Now, let's hope that there's not a Texan lacking a sense of humor out there who has red-haired step-chirn!)

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green

I could shift without the clutch (except into 1st) on both a Chevy and a Ford I used to own. It wasn't that hard and I used to do it when I had a sprained left ankle.

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd

Kiscica -

CONGRATS on the new TDI!! I've had my Golf since august, but unfortunately only have about 12000 miles so far, but I love it! If you're planning on keeping her for 10 years, make sure you've read the thread on proper break-in.

Have fun,
Nick

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI

I used to shift clutchless on all the manual cars I've driven (Bronco II, Explorer, Mazda GLC, 85 Golf), until I got my cable shift 96 GTI. It was alot harder than the others, and after grinding twice... I stopped trying.. Never really tried with the TDI. It's one of those things I just did to impress women. It never worked...

It's practical for when you're injured... and is helpful for when your clutch cable breaks. (Mk2 VWs don't have that idiotic clutch/starter lockout). But With the hydraulic clutch... broken cables aren't an issue anymore.

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green

I understand how you can shift without a clutch but have you seen what it can do to a transmission? I have and it was music to my ears. Like, cha-ching. With the Borg Warner style syncros it will take it's toll on them. Actually it will burn the syncro (it looks black on the cone and usually stinks). The three little detents in the middle will get scored, thus wiping off metal and then finally causing the transmission to pop out of gear. I've seen it enough times, that shifting without a clutch only makes a mechanic or the parts supplier happy.