Paralyzed and Agonizing: Buyback vs Fix 2013 TDI JSW

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
Well, i just returned from my 2015 Passat TDI DSG test drive. It's definitely not as "spunky" as the Jetta TDI especially on the lower end. But, its a heavier car and it handles nice. I noticed it was a tad quieter than the Jetta even with my Pirelli tires. Big and spacious inside I feel like I'm going from a sport mobile to a family sedan but I guess that's ok. The one thing I hate about the new diesels.....wait for it....

Yep, DEF. That's what I like about my 10' Jetta TDI--no DEF additive. They have a 2015 Passat manual trans coming out of the shop tomorrow so will drive that and see what I think. BL here folks this is gonna come down to $$. It's gonna take a real good price (meaning less cash from me after buyback $$) to move into another vehicle. Yea, its newer, bigger, is a TDI, and has similar performance but there is the "upgrade" charge. Keeping my Jetta TDI there are no "unknown" miles, or unknown "drivers" who have previously driven it (like buying used). Financially, you can't beat the buyback number. Heck, paying cash out the door, driving a vehicle for almost 9 years and getting 59% of the initial cost back--simply unheard of. But, again, try to find a car with similar performance and you gotta bring substantial $$ to the table unless you buy used but still again $$ required. And so it goes.......

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Well, I just returned from my 2015 Passat TDI DSG test drive. It's definitely not as "spunky" as the Jetta TDI, especially on the lower end. But, its a heavier car and it handles nice. I noticed it was a tad quieter than the Jetta even with my Pirelli tires. Big and spacious inside I feel like I'm going from a sport mobile to a family sedan but I guess that's ok. The one thing I hate about the new diesels.....wait for it....

Yep, DEF. That's what I like about my 10' Jetta TDI--no DEF additive.

I felt my 2014 Passat felt like a Buick as opposed to my 2010 JSW. That being said for about 1k you can upgrade the springs, dampers and rear bar and really notice that it drives like a VW should. Def is nothing it's as cheap as goat piss and you only fill it up about once every 10k for less than 10 dollars.

Decisions on about what you want to spend are entirely up to you. Peter over at ID Parts has commented that aside from being a diesel the Passat is not in league with other cars in it's class today. (I can find the quote if you like).Good Luck and I hope you make a wise choice that you can live with and be happy.:):):):)

Last edited:

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I had a 2013 JSW 6 speed manual and traded it in in February 2017. At the time it had had a code for the intake valve for 2 months and there was no approved fix for the emissions. It had over 92,000 miles on it. I had also gotten one bad tank of diesel, just water and algae fortunately, and luckily I had the receipt so Murphy's had to pay for the repair. I frequently miss it but the money was to good compared to the potential problems. I'll be in the car market in another 4 or 5 years and I will see what VW has on offer at the time.

Jacks TDI

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
June 1st was the magic day for saying goodbye to our JSW. June 1 gave us an extra $450 for low 49000 miles. We will miss the 40 mpg - but with Diesel fuel at $3.89/gal we are good to stay with Regular grade fuel on our new 2017 AllTrack. Really happy overall with the MK 7 platform and all the new features the SEL AllTrack offers that were not available in 2014. And the fact that VW paid us about $600 more that the sale price of the New 2017 Golf AllTrack SEL makes us very pleased with our Buyback choice.

loop7

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I started this thread and, in a follow up post, I wrote I had purchased a CPO 2013 TDI JSW. Well, after 3 weeks, the whole thing ended in tears.

First, one of the windows stopped working. I took it back to the dealer and it was resolved.

Second, the JSW's transmission took what seemed like a very long time to engage into D from Park. It would just kind of hang even when completely warmed up - one time it was 6 seconds.

It gets worse...

Third, the AC failed (ceased to generate cooling - just hot air) so I took it back and was told (I am not kidding) that "the car just needs to be driven a while and the AC will start working." Yeah, that's a believable answer.

The car remained at the dealer and I did not hear a thing for a week - no call, email, nothing. On day 8, I let my temper get the best of me and I called the dealership and threw a verbal fit.

Long story shortened, the dealership offered to undo the deal so I feel like I dodged a bullet with a lemon.

I was able to find another 2013 with a mere 21,000 miles (CPO) in rather decent condition with dealer service records for $15k.

Everything on this "new" JSW seems solid but, as expected, I definitely notice some differences between this and my previous unmodified 2013 JSW:

- The car shifts differently than my un-modified 2013 JSW which seems to be common - no issues getting up to speed or anything, just different.

- I think there's a bit more of the low drone sound/rumble but that also seems to common with the modifications - still bugs me

- In general, the engine seems louder but I don't have any decibel meter data to prove this

- The whistle sound I really like is essentially gone

- MPG seems to be about the same

So, that's my update.

The tune packages sound very compelling but I don't want to risk warranty voids. Hopefully, there's another fix for the low frequency noise.

Last edited:

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Glad to hear you were able to undo the deal on the first car. I'm sorry it went so bad. Hopefully this second car will be better for you. I suppose getting a lemon is always a risk and maybe even more so when dealing with cars that may have been sitting for several months. I wish you the best of luck with the second purchase. Now I feel bad, since I was the one who started you on this journey.....:(