RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

accokeek

TDI
2013 TDI SEL
An interesting tale about VW service and the RNS-510. I have a late 2013 Passat TDI SEL (HW: HO2, SW: 3696, Map Ver: 8050) and in general am very happy with the vehicle. I had resigned myself to the slowness of the RNS-510, but generally found it tolerable. Shortly after a recall to fix an ECO issue and lighting, I noticed that the map in both Navigation and Map modes was not following the vehicle location. In fact, the only way to show the vehicle on the map was to zoom way out, manually recenter the vehicle indicator using the touch screen and then zoom back into a useable scale, this combined with periodic random reboots as I was driving convinced me that the unit was either dying or really screwed up. So off to my VW dealer, after 5 days, I'm told that they have "talked to VW help line" and are assured that this is "normal behavior" for an RSN-510. Well it certainly wasn't for the first 20k+ miles and it also simply isn't acceptable. So I'm soliciting input from members about their experience, is anyone else having similar problems? Is this really "normal behavior" and if so why didn't it evidence itself earlier?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
No "problems" on this end with the RNS-510. I put "problems" in quotes because many of the folks responding to this thread think that the RNS-510 IS the problem. I find it serviceable,, if slow, and the usual judgement of "slow" is, of course subjective. Our '13 SEL Premium has never had the RNS-510 display any of the symptoms you describe.

NB: I DO find the whole map upgrade situation for the RNS-510 to be simply absurd. as "LokiWolf" points out, these maps are coming out a year or more in arrears, and we are expected to pay (at minimum) $100 for such annual updates. Our rather elderly (but still very serviceable) Garmin nuvi370 has lifetime map updates that I bought for $50 at some point a long time ago, and we still make very good use of it in rentals when we go on vacation. This business with the RNS-510 is a ripoff, and I won't do it.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
Some guys across the pond made a tool to convert the ISO dvd maps file for use on SD card, only catch is that you must modify your own FW with a CD+R first!:cool:
need JAVA and win/mac/linux pc as well...
Did I mention it works ON ANY SPEC rns-510 even ours:eek:
though they claim it will work I would not suggest proceeding without a 1040/1140/4366/5382 ISO just in case something goes wrong...
NAR V9(8213) is certified working V10 (8246) not listed...
at this point every little mod/trick helps- if SD card can transfer even 1% faster i would say its worth it...
discussion link:http://gpsunderground.com/forum/vol...aps-sd-card-hdd-navigation-compress-maps.html
home page:http://christian-jeanin.ro/blog/software/maps-tool-en/

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
An interesting tale about VW service and the RNS-510. I have a late 2013 Passat TDI SEL (HW: HO2, SW: 3696, Map Ver: 8050) and in general am very happy with the vehicle. I had resigned myself to the slowness of the RNS-510, but generally found it tolerable. Shortly after a recall to fix an ECO issue and lighting, I noticed that the map in both Navigation and Map modes was not following the vehicle location. In fact, the only way to show the vehicle on the map was to zoom way out, manually recenter the vehicle indicator using the touch screen and then zoom back into a useable scale, this combined with periodic random reboots as I was driving convinced me that the unit was either dying or really screwed up. So off to my VW dealer, after 5 days, I'm told that they have "talked to VW help line" and are assured that this is "normal behavior" for an RSN-510. Well it certainly wasn't for the first 20k+ miles and it also simply isn't acceptable. So I'm soliciting input from members about their experience, is anyone else having similar problems? Is this really "normal behavior" and if so why didn't it evidence itself earlier?
If someone touches the screen and moves the view, it drops out of auto-track mode. In the upper right corner of the screen there will be an icon (I think it has arrows pointing in four directions). If you touch this icon, it turns auto-track back on. This is a normal function that allows you to move the screen around and look at areas beyond your current position. I've used it occasionally, and touching the icon always restores tracking.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Update the firmware to 4366 and see of that corrects it.

NHgranite

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat CKRA
I just checked the status of my RNS-510 and it's showing the following:

HW Index: H04
SW Index: 0018
SW version: 20101014A
Boot loader: 3.00
HMI XML: KW14/2010 NAR10

Aside from reading through 57 pages of info or visiting a Stealership; would someone mind steering me towards a link or site that will help me upgrade my firmware?

I appreciate it.

eshawger

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
If someone touches the screen and moves the view, it drops out of auto-track mode. In the upper right corner of the screen there will be an icon (I think it has arrows pointing in four directions). If you touch this icon, it turns auto-track back on. This is a normal function that allows you to move the screen around and look at areas beyond your current position. I've used it occasionally, and touching the icon always restores tracking.
accokeek:
Hard to believe the dealer service department would be baffled enough by normal operation that they would resort to the "lemon law" defense saying the map and navigation system are working as designed when the car should always be centered in the screen and the map moves around it as you drive. Unless of course it's as described here by atc98002 and you can center it again with that button function. Shame on your dealer either way: they couldn't help you with the simple operations instructions, or worse you really do have a serious issue and they gave you a lame story to make you go away.

Should be simple correction or you'll need to press them to fix or replace. Don't believe them that it's normal operation to need to manually re-center your car to see where you are. That's the worst dealer story I've heard yet on this thread.

hillbilly1234

TDI
2011 Passat Wagon
I just checked the status of my RNS-510 and it's showing the following:

HW Index: H04
SW Index: 0018
SW version: 20101014A
Boot loader: 3.00
HMI XML: KW14/2010 NAR10

Aside from reading through 57 pages of info or visiting a Stealership; would someone mind steering me towards a link or site that will help me upgrade my firmware?

I appreciate it.
Im just new but the VW watercooled forum in Australia has modified firmware for different areas. BUT NOT NORTH AMERICA

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/for...s-european-rns510-units-70579.html#post799562

accokeek

TDI
2013 TDI SEL
Well it turns out that the problem has been resolved thanks to the perseverance of the techs at Waldorf VW, after being blown off by the VW "Help" Line folks. They drove the car, observed the problem and apparently after some head scratching, decided to do a complete reset of the unit. Problem solved!

There is supposed to be an icon on screen in place of the speed limit advisory when the vehicle location is locked and "auto-track" is turned off. No such icon before reset and now there is one (and it works). The speculation is that one of the random reboots put the unit into an "undefined state" and it was confused. I have requested an ISO of the 4366 firmware upgrade from LokiWolf and plan to install it and then update the map database to the latest version. Then I'll go back to enjoying the car and lurking on this list ;-}

eshawger

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Well it turns out that the problem has been resolved thanks to the perseverance of the techs at Waldorf VW, after being blown off by the VW "Help" Line folks. They drove the car, observed the problem and apparently after some head scratching, decided to do a complete reset of the unit. Problem solved!

There is supposed to be an icon on screen in place of the speed limit advisory when the vehicle location is locked and "auto-track" is turned off. No such icon before reset and now there is one (and it works). The speculation is that one of the random reboots put the unit into an "undefined state" and it was confused. I have requested an ISO of the 4366 firmware upgrade from LokiWolf and plan to install it and then update the map database to the latest version. Then I'll go back to enjoying the car and lurking on this list ;-}
Nice update, and happy ending story. Thanks for sharing.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I tried out the V10 maps on a road trip yesterday and today. There's a road that has been in use for about 4 years now that the older maps never routed me on and it's using it now. It could have been part of the V9 maps though. I did notice that with SW 5382 that when I stop and shut the car that I have to manually restart the map guidance. With the older firmware it would pick up where it left off.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I tried out the V10 maps on a road trip yesterday and today. There's a road that has been in use for about 4 years now that the older maps never routed me on and it's using it now. It could have been part of the V9 maps though. I did notice that with SW 5382 that when I stop and shut the car that I have to manually restart the map guidance. With the older firmware it would pick up where it left off.
As I remember I'm on FW 3696 and I find the map guidance is sometimes hit or miss about restarting. If I shut the car of to fuel it (say 5-10 minutes) it usually will come back on. But if I have it shutoff longer it often times will force me to restart the guidance when I get back in. Not sure why but it is a quirk that I've seen.

vwp2012

TDI
VW Passat 2012
All - total newbie here.
Thanks to everyone (especially LokiWolf) for these forum posts - they've been excellent.

I have a 2012 VW Passat with

HW-Version H59
SW-Version 3690
and
Map Version HDD 7535.

Can someone point me to where I can get the latest Firmware and Map upgrades available and appropriate for my system? Happy to PM someone if that is the preference!
Thanks in advance!

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI

I noticed that the area road info I was concerned with, were updated in V10.

When I updated the firmware 2 years ago, the accuracy of the car icon is now off by about 30-50 ft. The icon was spot on before the upgrade.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Actually, I think that traffic circle has been there longer than that! I get my fuel at the Shell at the light. Don't know why, but they double the Fred Meyer fuel points. Many times I've paid a little over a $1 a gallon! Even yesterday I paid $2.19 ($1 discount)with a "50 cents" discount.

I'm going to need to borrow that update disc from you :)

drama19

TDI
Passat
firmware 4366 for RNS 510

Also a newbie,
Does anyone know where I can find firmware 4366 for RNS 510? I tried a couple of PM's to LokiWolf, but no luck.
Thanks in advance everyone.

atoughram

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Also a newbie,
Does anyone know where I can find firmware 4366 for RNS 510? I tried a couple of PM's to LokiWolf, but no luck.
Thanks in advance everyone.
I'm looking too - without knowing how the firmware is loaded and assuming it's a disk, is anyone interested in forwarding a disk via mail, or if you live in the Seattle/Tacoma metro area, meeting up?

Thanks in advance.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Can people who upgrade to sw5382 confirm if your Sirius station graphics disappeared or not?
Mine disappear occasionally but they did with 5378 too. Sometimes the station info doesn't display unless I press the channel on the screen or change the channel.

gimlifn

TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL
Great info Loki thanks for the post. I will be checking today on my 2015 Passat TDI SEL to see which version I have.

Rick_Brown

TDI
2014 Passat, 2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Passat RNS 510 Navigation Errors

This is an update on my Passat TDI SEL nav system. After using the system for 2 additional multi-state road trips I have found the following problems and resolved some.

• Previously I reported the system would not pick a shorter route through Yosemite. It now shows this route as an option. I think it must of thought the road was under winter closure.
  • The system calculates reasonable travel times and average MPH on interstate highways now that I have set the traffic to LIGHT.
  • But here is the bad part.... the system continues to compute unrealistic long travel times for any state highways that are not interstate, divided highways. The nav system computes travel durations consistent with average speeds that are 40 MPH or less. The system does this for ALL highways, except Interstates, even though the nav shows the correct posted speed limits. The nav estimates travel times consistent with average speeds of 40 MPH even though the system shows correct speed limits of 70 MPH.
I have been in contact with VWofA customer service, sent them screen system is and there are no current solutions! Unbelievable that they are not working on a fix when a basic nav function like computing drive times is defective.

Anyone else complaining to VW? What are you hearing from VW?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I have the issue of bad time estimates, but I don't regard it as worthy of a complaint (more like a yawn . . . ) and just look forward to getting to rural destinations early. Heck, from what I have seen of rural roads in the northeast, it might be a bit optimistic there . . . unlike here . . .

- Tim

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Already did that . . . if you were talking to me. Frankly, I really don't care that much about the time estimate, I want the route and traffic avoidance . . . Times are good on the freeway (as others have stated) and almost comically wrong on 2 lane roads - like 45 minutes too long on a 2 hour trip on a rural highway. I think the programmer thought that all rural roads are loaded with hay wagons or something . . .

- Tim

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I suspect they ignore the speed limit data and use a fixed speed depending on the road type. I suspect 40 would probably be about right for a rural highway. I to use the time as just an estimate knowing it should get more accurate as you travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.