RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisK7UND

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
One observation, the part number changed to an "M" at the end after the 5378 update. I assume that is normal. I didn't expect the part number to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I got a disk in the mail from VW last year. I never installed it. What version was that? I was thinking about installing 4366 but was wandering if doing so will cut me off from buying the map updates from Navteq down the road.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I got a disk in the mail from VW last year. I never installed it. What version was that? I was thinking about installing 4366 but was wandering if doing so will cut me off from buying the map updates from Navteq down the road.

That is V5.2M(7994). Look up details from the first post in the thread thread. If you have less than 4366 it will only help you to install it. It will have no affect on whether you can do Map Updates. They are completely separate. This is all explained in the first Post in the thread.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Can you edit the title of the thread to say, "READ THE FIRST POST" in bold letters?
Relax. I read the first post but I know how software can be and am certainly no expert on these nav units. In 40 pages of this topic I don't think asking a couple word question in slightly different context from what is stated in the first post is a big deal. I've been down roads before where software updates on certain devices or electronics has changed the way the device was original ally designed to be updated and maintained.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Loki,

Somewhat off topic, but any experience/insight on swapping the HD with a SSD? I saw this thread a couple of years ago and just ran across it again.

http://web.archive.org/web/20121110...s-510-hdd-replacement-ssd-swap-diy-60984.html

Several have done it. I even have a 128GB SSD sitting on the shelf for exactly that purpose. Some people who have done it have had issues with off the shelf SSD's at below freezing temps. In addition, it is no easy task. This is not a very simple HDD swap. I am not shy on hardware, as I am a Server Admin for a large school system, and take them apart daily. It only appears to make a small improvement, because the controller is slow.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
the SSD MOD isn't user friendly or for the non experienced in proprietery electronics

FYI if you do go Down the SSD route be forewarned it is a HUGE PITA to take apart and reassemble an RNS-510... heck even the harnesses are non reversible and can easily lead to yourself accidentally frying a SD, Sirius, or G.P.S. board due to misplugging a mini harness!:eek::eek::eek:
EDIT: not to mention you have to remove and unplug Literally EVERY chip-set and board to Change drives as the drive is covered by everything else... Seems VDO continental should/could have made this A ton easier if they had created a drive plate ala the PS3...

Last edited:

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
FYI if you do go Down the SSD route be forewarned it is a HUGE PITA to take apart and reassemble an RNS-510... heck even the harnesses are non reversible and can easily lead to yourself accidentally frying a SD, Sirius, or G.P.S. board due to misplugging a mini harness!:eek::eek::eek:
EDIT: not to mention you have to remove and unplug Literally EVERY chip-set and board to Change drives as the drive is covered by everything else... Seems VDO continental should/could have made this A ton easier if they had created a drive plate ala the PS3...
Swapping the HDD is not that difficult. If you've ever done any PC assembly/disassembly, it's pretty much the same, not to mention that it is well documented in pictures and literally only requires 2 torx bits (T8 and T10).

My issue is that I don't have any IDE to USB controllers so that I can repartition the SSD properly.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Swapping the HDD is not that difficult. If you've ever done any PC assembly/disassembly, it's pretty much the same, not to mention that it is well documented in pictures and literally only requires 2 torx bits (T8 and T10).

My issue is that I don't have any IDE to USB controllers so that I can repartition the SSD properly.
Sorry, we will agree to disagree. I can swap the average PC's HDD in less than 5 minutes, and a laptop in less than 10 taking my time. Dis-assembly of the 510 is far more complicated than that, and not for the feint of heart. Average PC cables will only go in one way, if you mess up, you damage a few hundred dollars in a computer. The going rate for a current model 510 is $1800. Not to mention because of the controller, from those people that have done it, it only makes a marginal improvement. Most of the improvement is by increasing the space for storage of Music, and access speed to browse that music. It has been well documented that is makes little improvement on the day to day.

IDE to USB is an easy fix on Amazon. Be aware if you are using Windows to do the partitions, Windows 8 and above won't see the average IDE controller even via USB. Windows 7 will.

Al Fischer

TDI
2014 Passat SEL Premium
I just loaded the V9 update. Problem was there was no customer feedback for is progress. Poor design of an update. Toook over 6 hours and I could only guess that it was still in progress by trying to eject and getting a message.

I then loaded the firmwase update and the software was VERY well done. Constant feedback as to the status and took les than 30 minutes.

Don't reallly know if that fixed my problems as I have not driven it much. However the first time I used it I was directed in the wrong direction and the address would never be found! Time will tell!

Thanks to all for the excellent help!

Mikerock98

TDI
2014 jetta tdi value edition
Im been using the v9 maps for a week or so now....one thing that sticks out for me is the street names are much more well defied....before some streets were labeled sort of blurry at certain zooms....now they stay chrisp!

I can believe i missed this thread....i wanna throw a SSD in my RNS510.... I think ive taken apart enough high end electronics to be right at home with this mod! Cant name a high end high demand piece of equipment that i havent modded in some way or another in the last 30 years!

Edit: after looking at that thread....im ordering an ssd tonight for this mod.....this seems simple.....Id imagine if you ever soldered in a 30 pin mod chip into a ps2 or something like a cable box....this looks like a cake walk...even cable modems look harder than this....LOL hard!

Last edited:

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
Im been using the v9 maps for a week or so now....one thing that sticks out for me is the street names are much more well defied....before some streets were labeled sort of blurry at certain zooms....now they stay chrisp!

I can believe i missed this thread....i wanna throw a SSD in my RNS510.... I think ive taken apart enough high end electronics to be right at home with this mod! Cant name a high end high demand piece of equipment that i havent modded in some way or another in the last 30 years!

Edit: after looking at that thread....im ordering an ssd tonight for this mod.....this seems simple.....Id imagine if you ever soldered in a 30 pin mod chip into a ps2 or something like a cable box....this looks like a cake walk...even cable modems look harder than this....LOL hard!
how to here... not quite the same as NAR radios(missing sirus/DAB+ instructions) but one step in the direction you want
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/rns-510-hdd-replacement-ssd-swap-diy-60984.html

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Hi, does anyone know what these numbers represent in the config file for the different RNS510 map versions?

These are the Australian maps:

V3
au = 10.1/DB 01234 18407005 44444444444444434444444444444444244444442222444444

V4
au = 10.1/DB 01234 18407360 44444444444444434444444444444444244444442222444444

V5
au = 10.1/DB 01234 18407679 44444444444444434441111444444444214114442222444444

V7
au = 10.1/DB 01234 18408035 44444444444444434441111444444444214114442222444444

China RNS5510 CD7882 is:

cn = 10.1/DB 01234 18407882 11114441144444444441141114444444211114442222411144

Interested in what the long string represents.

Rick_Brown

TDI
2014 Passat, 2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Passat TDI Nav System Errors

I have a 2014 Passat TDI SEL (has the top of the line NAV and stereo system). The NAV always way overstates the estimated travel time to my destinations. It consistently provides travel times on routes that are nearly all freeway with speeds averaging in the 40-50 MPH ranges. This occurs even on long trips involving rural interstate highway travel. At my home I can input various destinations on my Passat and my Jetta Sportwagen and the Passat is always much longer timeframes and average speeds:

To:
San Jose, CA (Passat - .8 hrs, 43 MPH) (Jetta - .7 hrs, 56 MPH)
Lake Tahoe CA (Passat - 3.8 hrs, 49 MPH) (Jetta - 3 hrs, 62 MPH)
Tonopah, NV (Passat - 9.8 hrs, 34 MPH) (Jetta - 6.2 hrs, 55 MPH)
Cedar City, UT (Passat - 18.5 hrs, 39 MPH) (Jetta - 10.3 hrs, 69 MPH)
Palmdale, CA (Passat - 7.3 hrs, 44 MPH) (Jetta - 4.5 hrs, 70 MPH)

Actual arrival times are very close to the Jetta estimates.
These long times estimated by my Passat occur no matter if I have the NAV in shortest time, shortest route, interstate, or efficiency mode. Always wacko estimates.

Dealer is trying to say it's because of the traffic function which the Passat considers but my Jetta does not. But traffic in no way would cause these long estimates as evidenced by my actual travel times matching the Jetta times.

What are other Passat owners with the top of the line NAV experiencing?

Thanks,
Rick

nsee

TDI
2013 TDI SEL Passat
V10 Release Date

Does anyone know when V10 map-set will be released? I would like to update from V7 but don't want to purchase V9 to have it obsolete in a month or two.

Thanks,

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I have a 2014 Passat TDI SEL (has the top of the line NAV and stereo system). The NAV always way overstates the estimated travel time to my destinations. It consistently provides travel times on routes that are nearly all freeway with speeds averaging in the 40-50 MPH ranges. This occurs even on long trips involving rural interstate highway travel. At my home I can input various destinations on my Passat and my Jetta Sportwagen and the Passat is always much longer timeframes and average speeds:

To:

These long times estimated by my Passat occur no matter if I have the NAV in shortest time, shortest route, interstate, or efficiency mode. Always wacko estimates.

Dealer is trying to say it's because of the traffic function which the Passat considers but my Jetta does not. But traffic in no way would cause these long estimates as evidenced by my actual travel times matching the Jetta times.

Thanks,
Rick
It has nothing to do with the traffic function. The traffic function will only change your route if you allow it.

The issue is in the navigation setup. There is an option in the setup for traffic volume which can be set to Light, Medium or Heavy. The default from the factory is Heavy so it way over estimates the time. Go into the setup and change this to Light or Medium and you will get a more accurate estimate. I have mine set to Light and it is much closer to actual.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
To:
Thanks,
Rick
What I'm experiencing is lock ups and freezes.. The radio is doing it, the satellite radio is doing it.. Navigating through the menus is laggy and very slow/sluggish.. and the Nav system locks up.

Not only that it has left me astray down in Orlando Florida and a well established address here in my county isn't in the system...

Finding out my car came with Map v8M 8112 which is Q3 of 2013, in a 2015 car.....

Status
Not open for further replies.