OE heavy duty skid plate for mk7 TDi ?

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Seems simple to order from Germany. About $100 for the plate alone, shipped to Alaska.

Do you notice any noise difference with the new plate with respect to the older one?

Does it seem to be about the same task to change oil with the stronger plate installed?

Thanks.
I didn't notice any difference in sound level. The plate comes off as easily as the original one

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
I did not remove the bumper, and yes, the bolts for the brackets are tricky to tighten, knuckle busters :)

The box they sent my skid plate in was HUGE, like 24x24x48", no idea how they made any money shipping from Germany.
how in the world did you manage to tighten the bracket bolts. I left them loose at first so I can align all of the seven skid plate bolts, but then there is no way of getting to the bracket bolts other than from the front of the car ( bumper or grille needs removal). If you remove the skid plate to access these suckers from underneath then the brackets shift around and holes don't line up afterwards.

Last edited:

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
how in the world did you manage to tighten the bracket bolts. I left them loose at first so I can align all of the seven skid plate bolts, but then there is no way of getting to the bracket bolts other than from the front of the car ( bumper or grille needs removal). If you remove the skid plate to access these suckers from underneath then the brackets shift around and holes don't line up afterwards.
I tightened them with a shorty socket wrench. You should be able to "knock" the brackets into the correct position with a rubber hammer ?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
I tightened them with a shorty socket wrench. You should be able to "knock" the brackets into the correct position with a rubber hammer ?
ok, its actually not as bad as i thought, got it done without a rubber mallet, thanks bud for help. I got a question for you, pls check your pm.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
My skid plate finally arrived from Germany. I am slightly disappointed that one of the tabs that fits under the front bumper is broken off and I didn't notice that in the ebay pics. It is also missing all of the padding which I suppose I can swap over from mine, and I used up a half roll of paper towels and Purple Power getting all the dirt and grease cleaned off of it. I don't suppose the broken tab will matter once the bolts and brackets are in place.....I still need to order my brackets.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
Help me here. You order a Skid Plate from Germany, and it does not come complete with brackets ?
Or do I need new glasses ?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
In checking on used OE VW skid plates for the Mk7, I have yet to see any sold with the $14 brackets. It's not coming from a skid plate manufacturer, it's just removed from a salvage car.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
My skid plate finally arrived from Germany. I am slightly disappointed that one of the tabs that fits under the front bumper is broken off and I didn't notice that in the ebay pics. It is also missing all of the padding which I suppose I can swap over from mine, and I used up a half roll of paper towels and Purple Power getting all the dirt and grease cleaned off of it. I don't suppose the broken tab will matter once the bolts and brackets are in place.....I still need to order my brackets.

I would write them and ask about that, because the one you bought was advertised as like-new. Sounds like they sent you the wrong plate.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Help me here. You order a Skid Plate from Germany, and it does not come complete with brackets ?
Or do I need new glasses ?
It’s just the raw OEM part, not a kit. There are like 5 different part numbers that correspond to the skid plate; they all have to be bought separately

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
looks like a pick your part find right there.

Heck there's gotta be a few Alltracks in junkyards by now why not source locally?

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
I ordered one from Germany through eBay, and it came in a little dirty but otherwise good condition. The hardest part of the install was getting the bolts started through the frame rails into the bracket. Once tightened, I did have to knock them into position with a mallet. Overall it cost me around $145.