96 TDI - rough start in cold weather.

yomann

TDI
1996 Passat TDI Wgn
I have a 1996 Passat TDI with 194,000 miles and I am the original owner. This year, I am experiencing some minor trouble starting my car in the cold. The car has never had this problem in the past; it has always started very quickly. As always, turn the key, wait for the glow plug light to go out and start the car. I have to hold the key in the starting position longer than normal to get the engine to start. When the engine starts it runs very rough and shakes for about 5 seconds before it smoothes out to a normal idle. Also, I am getting a large puff of white smoke just for the first couple of seconds at startup. Once the engine idles smoothly, the smoke goes away the engine runs perfectly normal. Like I said, this only lasts a few seconds, but the problem seems to slowly be getting worse and it only happens in the cold (around 30F or below). This year, I have replaced the glow plugs and the glow plug fuse, so they should be fine.

Any ideas?

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
yomann I was going to suggest GP's but I see you've already replaced 'em.
I just checked mine last nite...THREE burnt out /images/graemlins/blush.gif

After you replaced yours & the fuse, have you verified you are actually getting power to them? I presumse you are since you don't mention your check engine light being on, but just to make sure. Was your fuse actually blown?

I also spray tested my injectors last night with 220k km (136k miles) and they're not the best anymore. Break pressure has gone down a bit & spray patterns aren't perfect.
With almost 200k miles on your car, injector degradation may be part of your poor starting too, after verifying others' suggestions above, and the glow plugs getting power /images/graemlins/smile.gif