Finding TDC in a TDI 1Z

crvsecretary

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan Salsa Red
Hello Listers:

I have a simple, stupid question to ask....

I have started on my first timing belt change on my 1996 TDI. I pulled everything off to expose the belt and now I need to put the engine in TDC to get the cam locking plate on and the injector pump locking pin in place. So, I pulled off the access plug off the flywheel and turned the engine. I got the injection pump locking pin in place ( at 3 o'clock while facing the pump sprocket) and the cam locking plate is within thousandths of slipping into place.

But I can't find the TDC mark on the flywheel.

What gives? I must be stupid. There is no way the pump locking pin AND the cam locking plate will line up if the engine was NOT at TDC.....

.....right ? Am I missing something here? I just don't feel right moving forward without seeing that TDC mark on the flywheel....

I have a very early production 1996...if that makes a difference.
Comments please?

Many thanks, as always.

Tracy

FasterXR4ti

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,1997,silver
Your probably real close, but because the flywheel is a much larger diameter the mark is most likely just outside the window. I have a family member watch for the mark as I ever so slowly creep up on TDC by watching the slot on the cam. I would pull out the pin and start again, putting the injector pump pin in last.

Good luck,

Roger

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
I agree with above--you're probably really close to TDC, but you're making the assumption that everything right now is in perfect sync.

Remove the pump pin, forget about the cam lock (for now), and use a bright light into the access hole to look for the TDC mark.

I use a wrench on the alternator pulley nut to slowly rotate the engine while I look into the hole. It does help to have two people--one to slowly turn the engine, another to watch for the mark (assuming that one knows what to look for ;) ).

crvsecretary

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan Salsa Red
(assuming that one knows what to look for ;) ).[/quote]

You could not be more right !!!!

I finally found the picture guide tor changing the timing belt and the pic showed EXACTLY what I needed to see, and, as both of you accurately guessed, I was SOOOO close it was shocking. Just a little move and..
...there it was.

The old belt is off and the new one is on.

I'll button it up tomorrow and all should be good.

THIS LIST is the #1 reason why I love this car. I know more about this car than my local mechanic..and he is DAMN GOOD. Looks like I just stole another job away from him.....

Thanks again, everyone !!

Tracy