Phase 2 Dealership Experience

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
So I recieved the VWoA Phase 2 greenlight email. I made an online appt at Beyer VW in Winchester, VA. Took the car in and it was very simple; so far. They gave me a 2017 Passat loaner. More to come...

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I posted this in another thread, but it's probably more relevant here. My 15' Jetta is getting Phase 2, otherwise known as the "J6" kit, presumably for Jetta Mk6. This particular kit was for manual transmissions and came with a new bolt and clip for the shifter. The J6 kit VW sent lacked these parts and it's delayed the fix for a few days. It's Monday now and I dropped the car off Thursday morning. They also said the instructions for the technician differed from reality in that the photos in the service manual differed from the parts on my car. Sounds like there may be some different versions of the same chassis they are not accounting for.

I googled all the part numbers for the J6. Many tuner sites and online VW parts dealers have the part number listed, but no photo. Only that it's a "kit". I plan to have the car back today. I'll ask the technician for a rundown on everything that was changed. Weather permitting, I'll take photos as well.

On another note, I hate the automatic transmission in the 1.4T Jetta loaner. Good engine, but weird power band and the transmission hunts for gears more than most.

jfc2697

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6Speed
I also dropped my car off today i won't have mine back till Tue but that might since i'm having other things done while it's there. They said i'm 1st one they have done.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Update

The dealer has had my car since Monday 7am and still are not complete. I called today and they removed the front suspension and fuel lines. I asked about an alignment and they said they wouldnt do it. Enough said. My car worked fine prior to Phase 2. Lets see what happens post Phase 2.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
They removed the front suspension but wouldn't do an alignment? Does the suspension even need to be removed?

Crazy.

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
For the DPF replacement, quite possibly. Makes me wonder if they drop the subframe, in which case they probably just disconnected the tops of the struts. No need for an alignment if that's the case.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
The Court Settlement also stated it was a 9 hour fix, it’s been 72 +hrs!

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I dropped my car off for the fix Tuesday morning and still don't have it back yet. They updated me Tuesday afternoon saying it wasn't ready because they were having trouble removing some exhaust components. I wasn't expecting it back till Wednesday so no big deal. They called again Wednesday afternoon to tell me it still wasn't ready because they broke one of the specialty tools required for the job and we're waiting for a new one to be delivered. Hopefully they have better news for me today.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
They had mine for six days... didn't they give you a loaner?
What the point of a court ordered settlement If VW just ignores it? Yes, I have a ****box loaner tied to a bunch of contingencies.

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
What the point of a court ordered settlement If VW just ignores it? Yes, I have a ****box loaner tied to a bunch of contingencies.
I get it man, we've all been there. Naturally there will be inconveniences with that and that's why the courts are protecting us with massive compensation. That doesn't mean you have to be happy about it, but this will be behind you soon.

That said, I told my dealer that I had to drive to Vegas (400 miles away) with the loaner even though the contract said 75 miles from dealer at max. They said no problem, take it to Vegas (in writing). Surprisingly my dealer, Ken Garff in Orem, UT has been very excellent and I can tell they're trying to make me happy.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
Late update: dealership found another issue where they have to special order the part. The car wont be fixed til next week; 7+ days in the shop. Beware Phase 2 wannabes.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well you are in the first few to be done. Did you really expect it would go perfectly? There are a number of us that will wait while they experiment on the first few getting things right and some experience under their belt. Thanks for being the beta tester!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Someone being the first guinea pig for the shop an is shocked the techs are experiencing "a learning curve" is someone who has more faith in VWoA than brains.

Best of luck and as for that loaner, do what ever you want with it, many a time that I've had a loaner from my dealer, they've stated don't go over 100 miles a day, 500 miles in 3 days no big deal. All they really care about is no smoking and fill up the tank when you return it. I even used a 16 GSW S loaner we had over the weekend, tossed our roof racks and kayaks on it and took her for a 3 hour drive to enjoy the car for what we we actually bought.

Best of luck and remember, loaners/rentals make the best off road cars. It's a rental, go mental!!!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I was at the dealership this afternoon for a 60K mile oil change and asked about the Phase 2. Best thing to say is they are on top of it and they were honest enough to say that there is a learning curve for their techs - right now it is 2 days and they ARE aware about the loaner for it. I told them that I'm going to wait for a bit before doing this. Leaning towards a Tiguan or Alltrack for my loaner :)

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
Update

The Phase 2 campaign was completed Friday. JPMorgan Chase emailed me and deposited the last payment today. However, they still have my car fixing a leaking DEF injector and hose-under warranty

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Compared to the Passat everything out there has little to no back seat space ;)

Dealer loaners are hit or miss what you get, our local dealer prob picked up theirs so they could meet monthly sales goals, jetta s, passat s, gsw s, all stripper models, i won't be holding my breath for an atlas or tiggy or anything worth while.

Still nice to be placed in a loaner for regular warranty work.

Itsmillertime88

TDI
2015 Jetta
Have they only been sending emails to let people know Phase II is available and to schedule an appointment? To my knowledge (I'll have to check the mail) but I haven't seen anything come accross stating the fix was available. I'm thinking if your one of the first ones to get this done then should just expect the vehicle to be in the shop for at least a couple days while there making the necessary repairs. Has anyone gotten there's back yet and what do they think after the fix?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Have they only been sending emails to let people know Phase II is available and to schedule an appointment? To my knowledge (I'll have to check the mail) but I haven't seen anything come accross stating the fix was available. I'm thinking if your one of the first ones to get this done then should just expect the vehicle to be in the shop for at least a couple days while there making the necessary repairs. Has anyone gotten there's back yet and what do they think after the fix?
I did not receive an Email.....I got mail and then I called and made an appointment!

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
Regular mail for me too. My letter just arrived two days ago. I'm going to talk to the dealer on Monday.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Since I just had my 60K mile oil change, I'm waiting until I hit 70K miles (since this includes an oil change).

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My Repair was scheduled for today,waited 2 weeks for the appointment....I fought the traffic to get to the Dealership when I got there was told they didn’t have a loaner for me.....I told him needed one when the appointment was scheduled....he told me they had 3 cars backed up and one that they had 5 days final test drive last night got a flashing Glow plug light.....was whining because they put 5K in parts in it also said there was different instructions, I obviously knew more than him.....He also said they hadn’t done any Stick cars yet...Mine is a stick...He rescheduled for June 9, 2 more weeks.....Highly Pissed!

Last edited:

AVM62

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 speed manual
My Repair was scheduled for today,waited 2 weeks for the appointment....I fought the traffic to get to the Dealership when I got there was told they didn’t have a loaner for me.....I told him needed one when the appointment was scheduled....he told me they had 3 cars backed up and one that they had 5 days final test drive last night got a flashing Glow plug light.....was whining because they put 5K in parts in it also said there was different instructions, I obviously knew more than him.....He also said they hadn’t done any Stick cars yet...Mine is a stick...He rescheduled for June 9, 2 more weeks.....Highly Pissed!
Where did you take it? My car is a stick. King VW did mine, took 11 days, got a loaner, Happy with the fix.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
Took the car in and it was very simple; so far. They gave me a 2017 Passat loaner. More to come...

LOL! we got a 2018 Nissan Rogue SV... we asked for a Beetle loaner and the service tech laughed at us...

(in a nice way)

it took six calendar days for our Phase II Emissions Modification...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Where did you take it? My car is a stick. King VW did mine, took 11 days, got a loaner, Happy with the fix.
Ourisman Bethesda....Been taking my TDI’s there since 2003 but they have changed hands at least once now.....my Service Guy seemed pretty hassled and their tech isn’t doing the work...

Last edited:

AVM62

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6 speed manual
Ourisman Bethesda....Been tak8ng my TDI’s there since 2003 but they have changed hands at least once now.....
I Normally go there since they are close and have done a good job for me. I had a appointment for May 21 but canceled when King VW said they could take my car the 9th. I did have to wait until later in the day to bring it in when a loaner was available.