Buyback and Oil Change

dcgincc

TDI
2012 Jetta
Hello folks: I just submitted my paperwork for my buyback. I have a question that I have not seen answered in the forums:

I have 109k miles on my Jetta. At 110k, I will be due for an oil change. Can I turn it in with the oil needing to be changed, or will that qualify as a "Check Engine Light" for the buyback?

If this has been answered, please accept my apologies.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Oil change not required, nor any other scheduled maintenance that may be overdue. Just don't let it slide to the point where your car becomes not roadworthy, or doesn't run.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Yes, there's absolutely no reason to do the OC.....unless you think there's a chance something could happen before you get it turned in. We're not turning in our Passat until late 2018, but I plan on doing all the maintenance by the book. Well......maybe not the DSG, but we shouldn't be over 80K by then, or maybe just a smidge over.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Not sure if it's worth bothering over considering people have been successfully turning wrecked vehicles in. As long as the car moves on its own power and isn't stripped, you should be good to go.

OTOH, if you're still undecided on the buyback, then I'd keep up with the regular maintenance.

GearHd6

TDI
2014 Jetta Premium 6 Speed
You JUST submitted your paperwork? If so, you'll be doing 2 oil changes by the time it gets bought back.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Oil and Check Engine Light aren't the same thing.
I'd keep driving and doing oil changes, but that's me.
If you want to stick it to VW (or more likely the person who ends up with it) then don't change it.

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
You JUST submitted your paperwork? If so, you'll be doing 2 oil changes by the time it gets bought back.
11/25/16 Oil changed 72,363 miles

1/9/17 Submitted ID, Title & Reg

1/11/17 Offer Letter

1/16/17 430pm Notarized and uploaded

1/16/17 630pm Appointment made for 2/24/17

It's not all doom and gloom :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Coworker with a 2011 wagon let his TB ride until he turned it in at 150K.

I had my TB replaced at 119K last December to the tune of $1000, now at 138K I'm telling my self I'm sleeping better because I did the maintenance.

GearHd6

TDI
11/25/16 Oil changed 72,363 miles

1/9/17 Submitted ID, Title & Reg

1/11/17 Offer Letter

1/16/17 430pm Notarized and uploaded

1/16/17 630pm Appointment made for 2/24/17

It's not all doom and gloom :)
Feel lucky. Uploaded 10/31, documents approved 1/5, still no offer letter.

vintovka

Banned
TDI
NO MORE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TDIS will run for 25K+ miles with ZERO maintenance or repairs. Think about that when you consider buying a used one. Add in purposeful abuse and possible subtle sabotage
too

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
My dash was lit up like a Christmas Tree when i turned mine it. I had bulbs out way over on service CEL due to EGR, low tire TPM, no washer fluid light. It was actually pretty coo looking. All I did was to make sure it had oil in the crank.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
TDIS will run for 25K+ miles with ZERO maintenance or repairs. Think about that when you consider buying a used one. Add in purposeful abuse and possible subtle sabotage
too
Drain oil. Don't refill. Start and drive. See how long it last then. ;)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
too
All one need do is read the post following yours, and preceding mine (#12)....no way in the world I'd consider buying back anyone else's turn-back-mobile. Too many other cars out there to take that kind of risk.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
All one need do is read the post following yours, and preceding mine (#12)....no way in the world I'd consider buying back anyone else's turn-back-mobile. Too many other cars out there to take that kind of risk.
Well, I turned mine in great shape. Timing belt was replaced about 20k miles prior so it was good for another 100k. Oil and filters were also good. The paint and body also in great shape with no dings. The car was also turned in with everything that came with it; both keys, manuals, rubber floor mats, trunk organizer, etc. Oh.. I digress, I did keep the first aid kit. Apart from that, it was my hope that if my car didn't go to the crusher, that it would serve someone else as well as it did for me (relatively speaking).

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
if you had logged enough miles where the timing belt needed to be done, they will likely not fix and resell your car, in my opinion. I am expecting the fix/resell cars to have well under 100K on them

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
if you had logged enough miles where the timing belt needed to be done, they will likely not fix and resell your car, in my opinion. I am expecting the fix/resell cars to have well under 100K on them
Well that's a shame. My engine was just getting broken in. I had 131k on the odometer when I returned the car. 90% of it was highway miles. Struts, shocks, bushings, wheel bearings; all of them still in good shape.

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
I stopped putting service money into my car as soon as I heard they where going to buy it back. Any money put into this car other than fuel was to be lost. It did go with 4 new shoes that I was tempted to swap out.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
The comments by the people doing the buyback show why if you're interested in getting one - you would be best served going in with your eyes open. Personally - I would not be making any assumptions about maintenance (or lack thereof) - I would start all over on it and make sure it was done correctly from then on.

This is not meant to cast dispersions on the few honorable people who have and are keeping up their maintenance. But it should give potential buyers reason to pause and consider.

Maybe VW will take some of these and recondition them like I said I would do if I was taking one - maybe not.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I never fell behind on maintenance, but I intentionally scheduled my buy back as early as possible to not reach the time for the 80K scheduled maintenance. Turned in the car with 78311 miles. I would have reached 80K if I owned the car six more weeks.

imurrx

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Cup Street Edition
I stopped putting anything in the car. I bought my Lexus in October and just turned it in. I used the good will for maintenance on the Sienna's oil, radiator,and transmission. As for the Jetta I had a quarter tank of diesel since Columbus day. Skipped the oil and DSG. I needed to jump the dead battery so it can Start. Breaks were gone and had a ready to burst tire.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Took 6 days from 1/18 submission of paperwork and I have offer letter in hand.

Things are speeding up if you follow the process, its not that difficult.

GearHd6

TDI
Been following the process since submission on 10/31. Took 10 weeks just to get the green check marks. I'm glad it was speedy for you but it isn't for others.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I stopped putting service money into my car as soon as I heard they where going to buy it back. Any money put into this car other than fuel was to be lost. It did go with 4 new shoes that I was tempted to swap out.
Same here. And I DID swap the tires off with some junk tires. No sense sending nice tires to a junkyard. Our CEL was on as well. And the battery had just enough life left to last the final week with daily charging overnight. Sadly we returned the car with over a half tank of fuel. Shame shame.

vintovka

Banned
TDI
NO MORE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The insurance companies seem like they are wise to VW tdi owners, I had a small accident and did about 2k damage to fender. Body shop took full info for repairs , pics and all and then == Nothing. I called them and they magically have NO real response other than they wern't interested in doing the job. Strange.

rambalu80

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW TDI DSG
Yes, there's absolutely no reason to do the OC.....unless you think there's a chance something could happen before you get it turned in. We're not turning in our Passat until late 2018, but I plan on doing all the maintenance by the book. Well......maybe not the DSG, but we shouldn't be over 80K by then, or maybe just a smidge over.
I'm kind of in the same situation as you but I am not keen on doing a brake fluid change as most non-German manufacturers usually don't even have it on they scheduled maintenance list. What are your thoughts?

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
I won't be doing any upkeep. Thankfully the car is not due for an oil change for 2 months after my buy back, but even if it was due, i would not do it.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm kind of in the same situation as you but I am not keen on doing a brake fluid change as most non-German manufacturers usually don't even have it on they scheduled maintenance list. What are your thoughts?
I did the brake fluid flush on ours last year (supposed to do it at 3 years from new, then every 2), but I will not be doing it again, although technically I should be doing it again next year. I will be doing Engine O&F, fuel filter, compartment filter at the regular intervals, but that's it. We may go a smidge over 80K before we turn it in in late 2018, but I'm not doing another DSG service.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The comments by the people doing the buyback show why if you're interested in getting one - you would be best served going in with your eyes open. Personally - I would not be making any assumptions about maintenance (or lack thereof) - I would start all over on it and make sure it was done correctly from then on.

This is not meant to cast dispersions on the few honorable people who have and are keeping up their maintenance. But it should give potential buyers reason to pause and consider.

Maybe VW will take some of these and recondition them like I said I would do if I was taking one - maybe not.
Agreed. I would think/hope vw will be changing the fluids, and slapping new timing belts on any cars to be resold.