Brake light problem

jetchase

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (black)
I drive a 2003 Jetta wagon and I was recently informed by another driver that my brake lights aren't working. The tail lights work (i.e. when the headlights are on, they are on), and the center brake light works. I don't know how long this has been happening because the warning light on the dash hasn't come on. However, two weeks ago my climate control lights also stopped working. I checked most of the fuses (all the ones whose icons looked light-related, and a bunch of other ones just to be safe) and all the ones I checked are working. Any ideas? I suspect that these two things are symptoms of the same problem, but I don't know what it would be if it's not a fuse.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
could be a bad brake light switch, only like 20 bucks i think from the dealer and there is a how to kicking around here somewhere, easy fix

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
ah wow then perhaps 2 burnt out bulbs at the same time? or perhaps the holder in the light assembly itself may be loose or corroded

hooman3d

TDI
jetta, 2003, white
I have been experiencing the exact same thing with my climate control lights. for the most part, when the lights are turned on for night driving, i have to turn the fan off and on for the light to begin working, but sometimes it just works without a problem. one time it didn't work for 2 days and then decided to start working all of a sudden. also brake light burned out 2 weeks ago. i drive an '03 jetta sedan w/70k on the odo. i have no clue what the deal is. if anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.