Ignition Tumbler/Cylinder Removal? Please Tell Me How...

TDI
1996 Passat
Hey Everyone,

Lately, in my wifes 96' Passat TDI when it has been very cold out the keys will not turn in the ignition. I went to the local dealer and had two new keys cut. They seemed to take care of the problem until the other day like magic neither of the new keys worked. After assuming that the tumbler assembley was bad and trying some graphite to lube the lock cylinder with no success I went to the dealer and purchsed a new ignition cylinder and keys. Now there is just one problem... How the heck do I remove the old one to install the new one. I have replaced lock cylinders in the past and never seen one with such limited access. I see on the new cylinder that there is a spring loaded clip that runs from key side to ignition side that I assume keeps the tumbler from rotating in the hole. There is also another spring loaded clip that runs from side to side I assume to hold the lock cylinder from coming out the the hole. Is there a way to remove the black coller from the old cylinder to slip something down between the old cylinder and the casing to press the clip in and pull it out? I read some other websites that suggested I drill and smash to remove it but I am fairly sure these are not VW certified procedures and I want to do the job right. You guys are the best and thanks in advance for any advice

NoReserveBiker

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
If your cylinders are constructed anything like B5, then you need an 18 AWG solid wire. I use the center conductor from RG6 antenna cable.

Turn the key to run and insert the wire in the small hole. It's a little tricky to align, but when you get it in all the way, the cylinder will just pop out. You'll have to remove the steering colum trim pieces to allow the cylinder to come out.

You might have to use the Ace Ventura technique to make the key turn to run.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just drill a small hole in the housing assembly. But honestly you probably need a new housing anyways to fix your problem.

And to get the housing off, you need to remove the airbag, the steering column covers, the clockspring plug, the steering wheel, the combo switches, the adapter collar, then finally the housing assembly clamp bolt, which could be a breakaway head unit that may require a chisel or vise grips to get off.

Not hard, but you do need to know what you are doing.