dual mass flywheel to single flywheel conversion

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
I'm going to change out my flywheel and clutch due to it making noise. I have heard that it will cause vibrations. I'm thinking about an XTD clutch or Gripforce. Anybody have any experience with these two?? :confused:

Superrabbitman

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
No experience with those two but I have changed numerous clutches on these cars and converted every one to a single mass flywheel. Used Sachs or Valeo clutches and never, ever had a problem with vibration with either the diesel or the gasoline motors. The dual mass is overkill and just another (extremely expensive)thing that can fail.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
valeo is considered weaker than the sachs kit, but that won't matter if you don't mod. I know someone local to me who is running an XTD stage 2 kit. He is very happy with it - I've driven the car, and the clutch isn't at all heavy

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I'm going to change out my flywheel and clutch due to it making noise. I have heard that it will cause vibrations. I'm thinking about an XTD clutch or Gripforce. Anybody have any experience with these two?? :confused:
Never heard of those clutches. I recommend the Sachs G60/VR6 with a regular non-lightened flywheel. Very solid setup. You will get a bit of transmission rattle at idle, but it's not that noticeable with a non-lightened flywheel. Mjmautohaus had the kit for $350.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I like my South Bend Endurance clutch: feels like stock on the clutch pedal, will hold more torque than I plan to go to. I bought mine from Peter at IDparts: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=76_102&products_id=863 and don't forget to order the motor mount bolt kit too: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=76_102&products_id=726 And then it is a good idea to have the crankshaft seal available when you do it to0 http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=76_102&products_id=625 as if you pull the flywheel and it is leaking you can fix it right then and there.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
I changed the DFM on mine to a G60 VR6 unit. (can't remember where I bought the components- if IDparts sells them, that's where I got it). The change between DFM and solid flywheel is very minor. Average driver probably wouldn't notice the change at all.

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
I've bought several things from IDParts with no troubles. I just can't swing that kind of money!

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
I would guess that the vibration people are talking about is from the lightened flywheel.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I would guess that the vibration people are talking about is from the lightened flywheel.
No. If you do have a lightened flywheel you will notice it a lot. The reason for the dual mass was that it absorbed the engine shock from each piston firing. It vibrates a little more at idle and since it is a SMF there isn't anything extra moving on the flywheel to absorb the piston firing. But that means there is less things to come apart.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Why do you need a TDC mark when during TB replacement crank is being locked at the pulley side?

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Depends on the year of car on if you need the TDC mark. My PD doesn't but I think the ALH cars need them. Never done a belt on one of those.

tomtom1989

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MkV
I've got a Valeo single mass conversion, think i got it off Boraparts actually. Great clutch kit although its a lot heavier than the standard clutch (the standard clutch was the lightest clutch i've ever had though)

running 155BHP not sure on the torque

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
the alignment marks just help you make extra sure you're in the right place. Possibly would help if you got the engine out of time during TB change.