Particulate filter

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I've been researching the cummins site, getting ready to order my dually, when I came across this pdf: http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/pdf/4103856.pdf

I was wondering if anyone heard of VW using similar technology for their particulate filters.

My first thought about particulate filter (before reading this) was that it's like a catalytic convertor, but replaced during periodic maintenance.
After reading this pdf, it opened my eyes to a whole 'nother set of possibilties.

Any thoughts? Rumors?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
A filter that burns stuff off? No maintenance? (didn't check the PDF)

Yep, that's exactly what VWAG is doing.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
peugeot developed the filter about 5 years ago. They have been refining it for production use. urea is another area being looked into. Cummins is looking at this for 2007 with ULSD. My poor 12 Valve is SO dirty compared to the new engine. Oh the 670 ft lbs of raw torque helps.... I can leave my drive way sideways... Take that Jetter_Sprinta.. LoL

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Thanks!

Any links? I'm interested in reading what VW is doing in this field.

Tony

b44magnus

TDI
2004 Jetta, Blue
Aftermarket DPF for TDI?

So with the new ultra-low sulfur fuel coming on line in Q3 2006 (which enables the use of a DPF - diesel particulate filter - as the sulfur kills them), is anyone thinking about installing an aftermarket DPF on their TDI? Without one TDIs (unless burning biodiesel) are still pretty nasty for emissions. I'd like to install one on my 2004 Jetta, but I'm not sure if it will mess up the engine dynamics.

Thoughts? Lessons learned?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Particulate filters require changes to the engine control strategy in order to properly burn off the collected particles. You can't just hang it into the exhaust system and forget about it. I highly doubt that anyone is going to make something available as retrofit for a vehicle that originally conformed to the emission standards that were in effect at the time it was originally made, unless there is a big financial reward or tax incentive for doing so, and right now, that's not happening here.

ICNTDRV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI
I remember reading about School districts replacing their fleet fuel with ULSD so they could retrofit their busses with particulate traps. No word on whether or not they had to be serviced or not, but they did give a price: about $3000 installed PER BUS! Considering how rudementary the design of the typical school bus is, I doubt there is a whole lot of change that can be made to engine management.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
mahnster said:
Particulate filter for passenger diesel cars

I'm going to call this company and see what they say.. I'll buy one if they work well/wont mess up my engine and aren't too expensive
The link is to a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst - which every TDI engine in every VW sold in North America already has.

But there is a particulate filter from the same company: http://www.eswcanada.com/particulatereactor.htm

It looks suspiciously like heavy-duty only. I would question how effective this thing is going to be without an explicit regeneration cycle controlled by the engine, because that's what the OEM's have had to do.

Rob9

retrofit filters

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a emissions filter that can be retro fit for a 2000 jetta

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Anything can be done if you have enough money. But for all practical purposes, a particle trap can't be retrofitted to a VE injection engine, like yours (and mine). That and the fuel in the States still has too much sulfur in it, and would bust the trap.

-Jason