What did you do to your MKIV today?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Finished installing new e-code lights, new lower bumper plastic grills and new 4-Motion Valance.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
More like a “what did they do to your MKIV today?” post:

This is the mess I was left with:

Now, what is this plug for?

I know I have some resoldering and heat shrinking to do here (this was the "PROFESSIONAL'S" work) in order to clean these connections, but hopefully none of this gives me any trouble when I receive my new unit.

Now, what was this blue wire go to?? Definitely got yanked out of somewhere...hoping someone can shine some light on this...thanks guys!

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
Replaced the broken and cracked windshield cowl with a good used one. While I was in there I blew out debris that had collected. It wasn't too bad surprisingly.

Painted the wiper arms bases damaged by the previous owner. Everything looks as it should now.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Removed this eyesore today.

I was able to find a relatively rust free replacement from PNP with the same colour code - not a perfect match but it’ll do

^ did not wash it because the POR 15 hasn’t dried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
It might be the connection to the CD changer location in the left rear. Do/did you have a changer? Looks too small for the Monsoon amp connection.
I do not have a cd changer and neither did I have monsoon radio. I did confirm it is for the cd changer. Thanks!

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Removed the 1.8t pancake pipe and went back to stock. It kept popping off, don't really think it did much anyways, too much of a pain to reconnect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I do not have a cd changer and neither did I have monsoon radio. I did confirm it is for the cd changer. Thanks!

You're welcome. While I have a Monsoon radio, I don't have a CD changer. However I was able to get a P.I.E. interface for my Delphi MyFi XM radio that plugged into the same port and provides power and audio connectivity.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Oh, let's see, I had a glowplug light come on. Added some dielectric grease to the inside of the glowplug connector, all fixed.

Had to glue my armrest back together, as the top came off. Did same for some other trim.

Ordered up some redline tranny oil to replace to gawd-awful worst crap VW ever produced stock crap my mechanic put in (he's a big factory guy). I think this and syncromesh work best in the ALH transmissions.

Up next: change oil/filter, tranny oil, air filter, secure e-brake line under chassis, adjust skid plate not to rub when turning (intermittent issue).

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Finished installing new e-code lights, new lower bumper plastic grills and new 4-Motion Valance.
Would you mind please posting a "before" pick? For some odd reason, I can't imagine what the difference is between the new and the old.

Thank you very much.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Would you mind please posting a "before" pick? For some odd reason, I can't imagine what the difference is between the new and the old.

Thank you very much.

Physically they look the same but the light output is better with the European reflector/bulb design rather than with the U.S. D.O.T. design.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you very much.
I was too excited to begin the process and forgot to take pictures immediately before starting, but here is a before picture:

After:

I haven't tested the lights at night yet, but aesthetically, they look great. Plus, I installed all new plastic grill items on the lower bumper. The front end looks new!
Maybe it's a placebo affect, but the wagon feels more stable with the 4-Motion valance, at highway speed. The shape of the original valance would promote lift, while the 4-Motion valance is flat and cuts the air upward towards the radiator. Compared to the original valance shape, there has to be less promotion of lift at highway speed. Am I imagining things?

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
First launch on the 215/70/15 lift and gtb1756vk and wow still smokes them right off. Poor Audi to never saw that coming :)

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I was too excited to begin the process and forgot to take pictures immediately before starting, but here is a before picture:

After:

I haven't tested the lights at night yet, but aesthetically, they look great. Plus, I installed all new plastic grill items on the lower bumper. The front end looks new!
Maybe it's a placebo affect, but the wagon feels more stable with the 4-Motion valance, at highway speed. The shape of the original valance would promote lift, while the 4-Motion valance is flat and cuts the air upward towards the radiator. Compared to the original valance shape, there has to be less promotion of lift at highway speed. Am I imagining things?
At highway speeds, yes.
The difference in forces at 65 mph is probably about equal to what you ate for lunch.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
At highway speeds, yes.
The difference in forces at 65 mph is probably about equal to what you ate for lunch.

Haha! A burrito’s worth of downforce is something.
The 4-Motion valance looks 10 hrsprs faster.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Sriracha - thanks for the update. That area of my front is really beat up. It just clips into the bumper cap, yes?

Last edited:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Sriracha - thanks for the update. That area of my front is really beat up. It just clips into the bumper cap, yes?
I had removed the front bumper in order to replace the headlights. With the bumper off, it was easy to unclip the lower valance. I had to drill holes in the 4-Motion valance, along the lower trailing edge, in order to attach the rigid lower sheild. I used the old valance as a drilling guide. I laid the 4-Motion valance on the ground, upside down, and put the original on top. Using spring clamps to keep them alligned along the edge and centered (allign the little stiffening ridges) I drilled the holes. The 4-Motion valance clips right in to the bumper and fits exactly the same as the original.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've had a 4-motion valance on my wagon for so long I forgot about it. Rear, too. it fits on '02 Wagon bumpers. On '03 or earlier cars no drilling required

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
This is the mess I was left with:

Now, what is this plug for?

I know I have some resoldering and heat shrinking to do here (this was the "PROFESSIONAL'S" work) in order to clean these connections, but hopefully none of this gives me any trouble when I receive my new unit.

Now, what was this blue wire go to?? Definitely got yanked out of somewhere...hoping someone can shine some light on this...thanks guys!

Who or what is amplified antenna wire. Unless harness includes aux/remote pwr for amps

Image below is my personal harness setup for the h/u

Why not use a euro style terminal instead of the soldering; may be a safer choice but I'm not sure as far as impact would go on resistance changes

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Who or what is amplified antenna wire. Unless harness includes aux/remote pwr for amps
The blue wire seems to go to a power injector for the amplified antenna base our cars have.

It should get power to it.

I added a similar one to mine when I replaced the radio.

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
The blue wire seems to go to a power injector for the amplified antenna base our cars have.

It should get power to it.

I added a similar one to mine when I replaced the radio.
Oh I'm aware I was answering the question for the member

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
The blue wire seems to go to a power injector for the amplified antenna base our cars have. It should get power to it. I added a similar one to mine when I replaced the radio.
In other words, I should be looking for the other end of the blue wire somewhere in the dash and reconnecting them?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
What I did....sold it. :(

Had the car for over 12 years, learned a lot, did a lot of "tweaks", it took us on a lot of trips and adventures, but we just weren't driving it very much any more, so it was time to pass it along for its next chapter.

Glad we found a buyer who seems to appreciate it as much as we did.