Turbo/waste gate ?

pfhague

TDI
Jetta, 2000, Black
I have a 2000 Jetta with 288000 miles. I have been having a problem when the engine would run fine at full power but then once in a while I would loose power. I would shut the engine off and restart and I would be back to full power. Lately I have had the check engine light come on and then would loose power again(more frequent). I have reset the code with a Actron scanner which indicated that it is the turbo/waste gate. Has anyone else experianced the same problem and does it look like that the Turbo needs to be replaced? Or should I look at something else like the MAF? Thanks for any help.

macmatic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd GLS wagon
Have you checked/replaced your vacuum hoses? I'm fairly new at TDI's myself but that would be a good place to start. I'll be replacing all of mine with silicone hose soon.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Well, your TDI does not have a waste gate. Instead, it has variable vanes on the exhaust side of the turbo. If it is driven too gently, they will crud up with soot and freeze, resulting in the behavior you noted.

Since it is intermittent, you may be able to solve it by driving first and second, and even third gears full throttle clear to redline several times. As well as frequently after that.

If that doesn't take care of the problem, you might need to do the chemical cleaning thing, where you pop the exhaust system off the back of the turbo, spray it well with oven cleaner (such as Easy Off), particularly the variable vanes, put it back together, and run it hard. There are detailed instructions elsewhere here.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Has anyone else experianced the same problem and does it look like that the Turbo needs to be replaced? Or should I look at something else like the MAF? Thanks for any help.
There's people on here every single day of every week with the same problem.

Likely loss of boost...due to a failed VNT actuator, or weak vacuum or loss of vacuum.

You'll have to check the operation of the turbo actuator with a handheld vacuum device, and if it checks out OK, then check your vacuum system to make sure you're getting good vacuum (With a vacuum test gauge).

MAF's get weak and fail all the time, but I wouldn't just replace one without checking it first, and make sure your intake manifold and related tubing and ductwork are clear and clean first.

Of course it could be something else, but if I was checking the health of an ALH with low power issues, that's what I'd be doing first.

Rem

pfhague

TDI
Jetta, 2000, Black
Well, your TDI does not have a waste gate. Instead, it has variable vanes on the exhaust side of the turbo. If it is driven too gently, they will crud up with soot and freeze, resulting in the behavior you noted.

Since it is intermittent, you may be able to solve it by driving first and second, and even third gears full throttle clear to redline several times. As well as frequently after that.

If that doesn't take care of the problem, you might need to do the chemical cleaning thing, where you pop the exhaust system off the back of the turbo, spray it well with oven cleaner (such as Easy Off), particularly the variable vanes, put it back together, and run it hard. There are detailed instructions elsewhere here.

I have done this and I think it helped. If the issue comes up again it will be time to clean.
Thanks

Blackjedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5 speed 1.9 alh tdi
I would start by checking your vacuum lines, I had a similar limp mode issue that only happened when it was warm. The heat was causing the vacuum line that ran from the n75 valve to the turbo actuator to collapse. A new vacuum line and it was good to go.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
A not DTC MAF failure will limit you to 3000 rpm. A boost issue will kill power somewhere but not always the same place. As others suggest check the turbo actuator first, then if that passes the solenoid that modulates the vacuum N75 IIRC.