Koni Struts and Shocks-What are the "must-have" tools

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
With 315,000 miles on the originals, I am about to tackle this job on my '03 Jetta wagon. What tools do I need? Which are "must-have" and which ones are nice to have but not necessary?

I am trying to avoid spending money on a bunch of special tools that I will only use once. I am hoping that I can borrow/rent the must-haves from Advance Auto down the street.

Any advice would be appreciated.

macmatic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd GLS wagon
I recently had the struts out of my '02 gas wagon and you'll almost surely need a counter hold tool for the top nut. I have a tool set for shocks and struts that had what I needed but I also found a spark plug socket that would do the job. I'm not positive right now but I think it was 13/16th or 7/8in.

Ha! Since this is a TDI you might not be familiar with spark plug sockets ;) but they typically have hex flats at the top. I was able to use the socket with a wrench on the flats and an allen key in the hole where the socket wrench would go to loosen mine.

+10 on getting that strut removal tool though! I spent half the time on the job trying to "get something to work". I'm both broke and a tightwad and that type of tool is going in my toolbox ASAP.

Last edited:

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
I recently had the struts out of my '02 gas wagon and you'll almost surely need a counter hold tool for the top nut. I have a tool set for shocks and struts that had what I needed but I also found a spark plug socket that would do the job. I'm not positive right now but I think it was 13/16th or 7/8in.

Ha! Since this is a TDI you might not be familiar with spark plug sockets ;) but they typically have hex flats at the top. I was able to use the socket with a wrench on the flats and an allen key in the hole where the socket wrench would go to loosen mine.

+10 on getting that strut removal tool though! I spent half the time on the job trying to "get something to work". I'm both broken and a tightwad and that type of tool is going in my toolbox ASAP.
Well, it's decision time for me then. The spring compressor is sitting on the rental/loaner shelf at Advance Auto. The others (spreader tool and counterhold tool) are mail order only. If I order them, I will not be able to take advantage of the long weekend to get this project done.

I may give it a try and if it turns out to be too much of a PITA, I can always button it back up, order the tools and wait until next weekend. (Rather not, though.)

macmatic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd GLS wagon
Well, it's decision time for me then. The spring compressor is sitting on the rental/loaner shelf at Advance Auto. The others (spreader tool and counterhold tool) are mail order only. If I order them, I will not be able to take advantage of the long weekend to get this project done.
I just checked my "new" 2003 that I brought home this week and a 13/16 plug socket worked fine to loosen the strut nuts. No need for a special tool if you can get a plug socket for $5.

If you've got a variety of mechanical stuff around the house I'm sure you can do this without the special spreader tool but it would be much easier with. I tried to make a copy of the tool out of a stubby 1/2" drive extension but it broke on me and I think what finally worked was driving a fat screwdriver or a chisel into the gap. I'm not sure now... I may be repressing what I had to resort to...

If you go that route be sure you're not going to drive anything into the strut tube. Oh, and also +1 on the penetrating oil all around the strut to spindle area. I use Kroil mostly but I also like PB Blaster.

But you're right, you can always bolt it back up and try again. I nearly did that myself.

Last edited:

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, the 13/16 spark plug socket took about 2 seconds to find at Lowes, but a 7/8 socket with hex flats on the top (needed for the new Koni nut) is a bit tougher to find.
Would this work? (I know I can't get a torque wrench on it, but that can't be a critical torque value, right?)
http://www.harborfreight.com/78-in-oxygen-sensor-socket-69022.html

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
You can use a 1/4" extension and ratchet as a spindle spreader. The 1/4 drive bare fits in the gap and spreads enough to get the strut out. Little trick I learned in the field when you dont have the special spreader.

macmatic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd GLS wagon
That looks like it should do it but practically any auto parts store should have a 7/8 plug socket on the rack.

What Koni's are you putting in?

Last edited:

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Plan on replacing all of the other hardware associated like the strut bearings and such...

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
That looks like it should do it but practically any auto parts store should have a 7/8 plug socket on the rack.
What Koni's are you putting in?
Thanks. None of the local auto parts stores had it in stock, but I did just found a 7/8 plug socket online in the NAPA warehouse in Richmond.

I bought these: http://www.koni-na.com/street.cfm Koni was running a good sale through 8/31. Fronts and rears for $282 shipped.

I bought the suspension refresh kit from Bora last year for the TT LCA bushings, but kept all the other stuff (bump stops, mounts, etc.) for this job because I knew i would be doing it eventually.

macmatic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd GLS wagon
Edit: Do you have a grinding wheel? I think I'll try to DIY a spreader again tomorrow from a 14mm bolt with a 19mm head. After looking at a few pictures I'm fairly sure I can make one that will work with a bench grinder.

Ah, so I missed the Koni sale again... Let me know what you think of them on the wagon, I'm also thinking about the STR.T's on the '03 wagon I just got.
In the meantime I'm going to run some very fresh looking VW OEM shocks and struts I just pulled in a parts yard from a 2002 1.8T along with the rear springs. Poor car looks like it got new suspension and brakes about a month before it met a telephone pole face first.

I bought a set of 2004.5 GLI springs on craigslist and I've got to see how much the butt droops with the sedan sport springs so I may have to used those poly rear spring boosters or try the normal 1.8t rears.

Last edited:

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Edit: Do you have a grinding wheel? I think I'll try to DIY a spreader again tomorrow from a 14mm bolt with a 19mm head. After looking at a few pictures I'm fairly sure I can make one that will work with a bench grinder.

Ah, so I missed the Koni sale again... Let me know what you think of them on the wagon, I'm also thinking about the STR.T's on the '03 wagon I just got.
In the meantime I'm going to run some very fresh looking VW OEM shocks and struts I just pulled in a parts yard from a 2002 1.8T along with the rear springs. Poor car looks like it got new suspension and brakes about a month before it met a telephone pole face first.

I bought a set of 2004.5 GLI springs on craigslist and I've got to see how much the butt droops with the sedan sport springs so I may have to used those poly rear spring boosters or try the normal 1.8t rears.
I had the Koni reds wagon specials on the 02 wagon and they were a great handling and riding suspension. Replaced them @ 90k miles as they had rusted out.
Now have STR.T's on it and it still rides and handles fine. They are also rusting.

HogWrangler

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
I had a deep well 13/16 socket that I ground two flat places on the sides of it. Put a 15/16 wrench on it and it works perfectly. Been using it for several years

macmatic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd GLS wagon
You can use a 1/4" extension and ratchet as a spindle spreader. The 1/4 drive bare fits in the gap and spreads enough to get the strut out. Little trick I learned in the field when you dont have the special spreader.
Good tip, I'll try this! I'm going to try rolling my own spreader from a big bolt too though.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Oh the Metalnerd tool is sweet. I put in Koni Yellow FSD's last spring and it was cool: tap it in the skinny way rotate 90 degrees. It is true that you will want to put some PBlaster or equivalent on as even spread I ended up using my 3 foot pipe wrench to get it to move.

Just for giggles when I was installing the new strut and it was sliding down nicely I released the spreader tool and man it stop dead.

I like to support Metalnerd as he is a good guy. http://www.idparts.com/metalnerd-strut-spreader-tool-a4a5-p-400.html