Hesitation at start, I have an OBD, now what?

PolitesTDi

TDI
2000 Jetta TDi; 2006 Jetta TDi
I have a computer but I'm not sure where to go from here. I've run the auto scan and am only seeing window faults (which I am acutely aware of).

NO glow plug faults. I'm not sure if this rules out a glow plug issue or not. After doing a bit of research, it seems like maybe it is a fuel issue. I added a bit of Diesel Kleen with this tank and now it has a hesitant start.

Will my Vag-Com tell me if it's a fuel/filter/injector issue. What scan should I run?

I know that fuel injector cleaning is very expensive. I will probably sell the car before I spend $1000 to clean the injectors.

I'm just running an Engine Scan under the Common tab. In the "injector" part of the scan that gives 10 separate fields, I came up with (000) in three of the fields and numbers ranging from 255 (in field 10) to 038 (in field 2). I'm not sure if this is a normal reading or not. I'm being give a bunch of information that means very little to me. Is there a base line out there or a website that will analyze the readings for me?

I'm considering getting a bluetooth OBD adapter for my Android and just downloading an app like Torque or Car Doctor. Any suggestions, on that front?

Thanks for your feedback!

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Your scanner a VCDS?
Post your scan here and the guys will look it over and advise you further.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Is it always slow to start, or only after sitting for some time? If only after sitting, it may be a small leak in the fuel system allowing fuel to drain back to the tank. O rings on the plastic T at the filter are suspect in that case, followed by the return lines between the injectors and pump.

Cleaning injectors does not have to cost big $$$$. There is a Bosch service shop near me that does a clean and reset opening pressures for about $20 each.