To buy or not to buy

centerfire

TDI
Hey guys I'm new to this forum and have a few questions. I am considering buying a 06 Jetta 1.9 tdi I really like the car. Just wondering what kind of problems to look for with this car. It has 224 000 kms on it. I know it will need a timing belt. What other sorts of things give out on these cars?? In that milage window. I drive was out 600kms a week so I think it's worth it. Thanks

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Short version, have the cam inspected. Some were known to eat their cams. Auto transmissions should have full documentation of servicing and operate properly without unusual noises. Very expensive to replace if there is an issue. Go to the MKV section/forum and read a lot before buying anything. Have it inspected first by someone who knows these cars, or read a lot here first and educate yourself before buying. Don't spend all your money on the car as they all need some kind of catch up maintenance. Read, Read, Read! Many here have asked the same question and your answers are already here. Welcome to tdiclub and the wealth of knowledge that exists here! Ther is also a site called http://www.myturbodiesel.com/ that has a ton of info as well.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Do a search on user name Oilhammer and look for his "Things to Look Out For" threads.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
2006 well... I purchased my 06' for $8600 with 114k miles last year. Since then ive dumped another $8000+ in it to keep it on the road. Cam- turbo- timing belt- egr cooler-tune- DMF see my signiture for further info.

deeslman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 punchbuggy 2006 jetta
Not to be rude, but green is on the far end of the spectrum.
Purchased mine 17 months ago with 171,000 now at 237,000
Fan assembly, 2 wheel bearings other than standard maintenance.
Manual trans.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
2006 well... I purchased my 06' for $8600 with 114k miles last year. Since then ive dumped another $8000+ in it to keep it on the road. Cam- turbo- timing belt- egr cooler-tune- DMF see my signiture for further info.

Holy ****balls. :eek:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
After seeing more than a few cars that are "new puchases" of used A5 TDIs, I find Green Lantern's scenario the norm.
People sell these cars for a reason....they did not want to shell out for the up and coming problems.

If the seller can not prove that those above concerns were addressed properly then you should assume that you will be addressing them.

And if the cam assembly was replaced, how many miles ago was it? I see it as part of the timing belt replacement process if the replacement was the OEM or a replica of that.
They seldom last two full timing belt intervals without bordering on heavily deforming the lifters or breaking them...using the right oil or not. That is the sad truth in my locale.

Last edited:

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
What I find reading here is the new diesels are so much more expensive to maintain. My DPF situation set me back $2500 and that is common.

Unfortunate that the newer diesels are getting that reputation and more and more people just buying gas models.

My formula calls for budgeting about $3000 per year on a cars cost to buy it and maintain it. This does not include fuel, insurance, tolls (EZ pass) and registration from politicians. A $24 k car should last me 8 years..I hope..but still have 5 more to go to break even.

Fuel savings have been negated for me. This was a learning process so it's not the end of the world, just got to make better choices down the road, a basic VW gasser is the way to go, diesels cost more to maintain.

Last edited:

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
All the more reason to seek out 2003 models. At the macro level is a 12 year old vehicle likely to be any more costly to maintain than a 9 year old vehicle and theres just so many less things to go wrong.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
After seeing more than a few cars that are "new puchases" of used A5 TDIs, I find Green Lantern's scenario the norm.
People sell these cars for a reason....they did not want to shell out for the up and coming problems.
Same around here as well. It's amazing how many of the 06 TDI Jettas are getting junked around here. Add some rust in with mechanical problems, and they're not getting fixed. Stripped for parts.

On a good note, I really like the look of the 06 Jettas.:D. I think they're a nice looking car.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
All the more reason to seek out 2003 models. At the macro level is a 12 year old vehicle likely to be any more costly to maintain than a 9 year old vehicle and theres just so many less things to go wrong.
I sought out a 2003 Beetle. Supposedly had a leaking (badly) fuel pump. Tensioner installed wrong and TB failure. $3k later it is in good shape again. Fortunately the rest was in good shape. I have every expectation it will need way more maintenance in the way of shocks/struts and other things. They should be cheaper though and I have a good trusted mechanic here so at least I can trust his work, unlike the garage that did the first TB. But no car payment and just liability insurance eases any maintenance bills. One owner and 159k miles.

deeslman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 punchbuggy 2006 jetta
Not a lot of love for the 06 here.
As far as I am concerned buy it rite, research, turn your own wrenches.
Good car, comfortable, serves it's purpose.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I wouldnt do it again. Id rather drop the soap in prision. I imagine it feels the same though.
Anyone seeing colt cam stage II failures?

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I wouldnt do it again. Id rather drop the soap in prision. I imagine it feels the same though.
Anyone seeing colt cam stage II failures?
Not yet, did you hear of them failing? I'll check mine one day.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Mine has 40k miles on it and it shows clean edges like new. But ill be removing the valve cover soon to install my AMSOIL BYPASS setup so ill take another look.