Is it possible to add Rear Side Thorax Airbags to MK6 Golf TDI

davidch

TDI
None
I just purchased a new 2011 Golf TDI 4DR DSG and it came without the Rear Side Thorax Airbags. Initially, when I ordered it I intentionally left off the rear side airbags because several friends and sales associates that I spoke with recommended it if you have younger kids which I do.

However, since that time the more recent data that I read about rear air bags on my own (specifically regarding VWs) suggest that it is safer to have the rear air bags as long as the children are properly restrained in their car seats. So now I am starting to think it would probably be better to have them installed in the long run.

Has anyone ever successfully installed the rear side bags? After a little research and reviewing an older Etka and manual, it appears that it should be doable. From what I found you would need to replace the back lower C side plastic side inserts with the left and right side air bags:

1k880441A (left)
1k880442A (right)

If the air bag module is still not recode-able as what I have read. I would assume you would need to replace that also. Other than that you would need to create a harness for each side to run to the module located behind the front lower console... (may need to touch base with maloosheck for that). I would assume that the rear side air bags would use the same sensors as the front side air bags. Any input appreciated.

Other than that... my new 4 Door Golf TDI is amazing.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Pretty sure you would need (at a minimum) the rear side bags (obvious), the harness (The car does not come wired for it if not built with it), the airbag module (The original module is not capable of controlling the extra bags), and possibly some rear side crash sensors (not sure if a car not equipped with rear bags has the rear sensors), and possibly the rear side trim pieces that cover the airbags (I don't know if they are different).