going to use my Princess Auto evacuator this weekend for oil change

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
I've never used this before still brand new in the box, anyone have any tips for me that I should know before or during the process?

Thanks in advance yall

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
yah i would definately warm her up. But without looking at the thing, i just stick the tube down the dipstik and pump away etc?

sorry I havent really done any searching on this....was just going to wing it (im usually pretty good at figuring things out)

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Be gentle when you get the tube all the way down into the oil sump... you'll have to move it around a bit to make sure the tube doesn't bend too much... on some models people have found that there's something down there (a baffle) that catches while trying to remove the tube... don't force it out, as you don't want to break off the tip of the plastic hose inside the engine...

Have fun "hunting" for hiding areas for old oil inside the oil filter housing...

Yuri.

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
...and freezing my nads off...:)

Thanks for the advice guys

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Yes, stick the tube all the way down until it hit the oil pan (not sure if it is any different for PD, I've an ALH) and pump away until it's too stiff to pump anymore. Oil might move slowly into the container in the beginning, just go away for 10-15mins, go back and pump some more.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
how much was the tool?

It would be nice to not have to jack my car up - it's a really pain to jack the entire front end when your car is lowered....

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
Hey there sorry for the late reply. Can't remember how much I paid. I got it back a few months ago when they were on sale at princess auto.

But yah I think it will be definatley worth it during the winter. All my oil changes I've always done on the garage floor.

Either way though beats the he'll out of paying the dealer 120 bucks or whateve it is :)

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd

ic_ou812

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI Reflex Silver
When your done, mark the level of oil on the evacuator. Verify how much came out by dumping it into an empty original container(s). If it is close you are gold. This way you will know next time that you have evacuated it all.

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
;) thanks my brothers...

To anyone that has the PA version, is your hose also really stiff? (just opened a can of worms with that comment I bet)

Mines been in the house warm since i bought it, and its pretty stiff....(not at all related to our expected twins)

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
SDMFer said:
;) thanks my brothers...

To anyone that has the PA version, is your hose also really stiff? (just opened a can of worms with that comment I bet)

Mines been in the house warm since i bought it, and its pretty stiff....(not at all related to our expected twins)
I have the PA evac and it works like a charm. Just make sure the rubber seal around the hose is firmly pushed into the lid so you don't have any vacuum leaks. I use the largest of the three hoses and yes they are really stiff! Even when they are warm. I was thinking about going to TSC and picking up some softer hose.

One more thing. After you are done, to pour the oil out, the small Knurled plastic part at the top where the hose goes in just pops out to make it easy to pour. It is held in with an O-ring.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mjhandy said:
now that's just plain lazy. all of us pump our extractor and you gotta get all fancy... lol

Im' all about the easy!

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mjhandy said:
is it any faster than the extraction pumps?
Haven't used any of the man.ext.,but from what i hear,my buddie has the one from P.A. and he has one like mine as well,says the time is about the sam.Quick note on the P.A. one he has started to leak around the top,out the handle O ring.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
i noticed the oring and thought about that, but then again, it can't be too hard to replace. I'm sure rona or HD have that stuff in the plumbing section.

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
just did my oil.....this thing works great. Very happy. Dont think I'll ever drain the old school way again...Thanks guys

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
id say that if you do your oil changes at a correct interval, you shouldn't need a flush.

On the other hand, it would be one of the 1st things I'd do with a new used car....

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
yatzee said:
id say that if you do your oil changes at a correct interval, you shouldn't need a flush.

On the other hand, it would be one of the 1st things I'd do with a new used car....
I'm sure this is the first time it was ever done. I hadn't managed to do it when i last changed the oil, but made a not of it this time.

I doubt i'll do it again for a while, but i do end up doing about 4 or more oil changes a year.

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
not to take this thread too off topic, and my apologies if I've missed several threads etc, but have there actually been any problems with PD Cams or is that a suspicion.

Ie. I would also like know if anyone with a PD has run regular NON 505.01 oil and actually caused problems as a direct result....I'm not willing to try, but I guarantee that there are a TON of people out there who not knowingly regularly take their PD-TDI car to a jiffy lube type place and consistently have the wrong oil put in (ie oil for a 99.5-2003 TDI).

What do you guys think? Anyone have any proof?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
to my knowledge, there is no proof.

The cam failures represent such a small % of cars that I wouldn't be concerned about it. I feel it has be blown out of proportion.

SDMFer

Veteran Member
TDI
d
;) kind of what i was thinking "might" be the case....though not sure