2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon — Brooklyn, NY

brianH

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon
Asking: $4,500
Mileage: 144,032
VIN: WVWCE63B45E092349

Listing with photos: https://cargur.us/lwfw8

Purchased in January 2013 from Beaumont Auto, in Brewerton, NY with 123,170 miles.

I've loved this car for five years, and hate to part with it, but my wife has convinced me it's time. The power door locks don't all work consistently all the time, and we've got a two year old girl who is becoming interested in the handle next to her car seat. I'd love to simply engage the door's child lock, but due to those power locks sometimes failing to lock and unlock, I'd essentially be turning it into a non-functioning door. This is a deal breaker for my wife and, therefore, me.

The car is in great mechanical shape. As expected, it's had a bunch of the typical Passat electrical quirks, though we've been able to resolve most of them through wiring and harness repairs. The door lock problem persists. I've had almost all work done by the VW guys at Tyrol Sport, in Ridgewood, New York. They know I'm listing the car here, and said they'd be happy to answer questions about any repairs.

I'm happy answer any questions, or send additional photos if there's anything specific you'd like to see. The car's listed with CarGurus, but I'm really hoping to sell it here, to a TDI lover who will take good care of her. Get in touch!

— Brian

The good
  • NEW all season tires in 2017
  • NEW pollen filter, fuel filter, engine air filter in 2017
  • NEW rear shocks in 2017
  • NEW front strut in 2017
  • NEW front axles and tie rods in 2017
  • NEW steering column in 2017
  • NEW belts, pulleys and tensioner in 2015
  • NEW torque converter in 2014
  • NEW glow plugs, wiring harness and connectors in 2013

The bad
  • When I purchased the car, both key remotes worked fine. But these days, one works sometimes and the other almost never. So my wife and I use our physical keys to lock and unlock the car. We don't have the valet key.
  • Not all doors lock or unlock consistently all the time. Any/all doors can be locked from the inside by manually pressing the locks down, or unlocked with the interior door handles.
  • Sometimes water collects on/under front passenger floorboard — the typical B5 problem.
  • Minor damage (scuffs) to front-left fender from hit-and-run (while street-parked).

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Sharp car bump.

I'm confused as to why a new steering column was necessary - clock spring or something like that?

Looks like the timing belt has not been replaced yet, though it may have been done by the previous owner.

brianH

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon
My mechanic recommended we consider replacing the steering column last year when he heard some clicking sounds coming from it. It wasn't a major concern — we were just planning on replacing a broken axle at the time — but I'd planned on keeping the car for many more years, and decided to go ahead and do it before it got worse or became a safety issue. Wishing I had that $$ back now, but good news for the next owner. :)

And I don't know about the timing belt. I replaced the accessory belt, a/c belt, a/c belt tensioner, main belt tensioner and roller a couple of years ago. But the timing belt is still going strong, so it's possible it was done before I bought the car.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
For a B5.5 Passat TDI, the 3 key pieces of information people will want to know is ...

Balance shaft delete?
Date/Miles of last timing belt service?
Transmission history/torque convertor replacement?

Maybe I missed the details, but I only see a reference to the torque convertor being replaced in 2014 (a pic of the service document/receipt would be great). I think it will help significantly if you can provide details/documentation on the other 2 items, sorry if I over looked them.

You're a bit far, but I'm in the market and have traveled further for cars before.

Good luck with your sale.

brianH

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon
Balance shaft delete

Not done that I know of (possibly done before I bought it with 123k)

Timing belt

Dealership that sold me the car didn’t have service records, so this is unknown. It looked new when I bought it, and hasn’t been an issue for me.

Transmission/torque converter

Transmission going strong. Torque converter replaced in 2014. Finally I have a solid answer for you. :)

brianH

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon
I’ll take photos of my service records and post em here for everyone first chance I get