Stuck center console arm rest

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
So I get in my car yesterday and lift up the arm rest to put some cards in the little storage bin and now it won't go back down. Doesn't matter if I extend the armrest back and forth it doesn't allow me to lay it flat. Am I going to have to remove the center console to take this apart and get it to work again?

Good time to order a rear vent that's been broke for over a year ?

https://vimeo.com/157577379

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Nobody eh? I talked with my service writer friend and he showed this to his mechanics and none have ever seen this happen. Told me to bring it in. I don't schedule open ended appointment at the dealer so I will be tearing into this over the weekend. Hope it something small. Looks like a major PITA to remove.

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (225K, retired), 05 JSW (334K, retired) 2012 JSW, SEL Gone, 2016 GSW/TSI/6A
To repair this, VW offers a kit. They used to offer the whole kit and kaboodle which to my mind indicates VW has seen this before.

Takes about an hour to R&R the console's rear panel and replace the BROKEN pins (which are locking the cover in the open position). It's NOT necessary to remove the complete console, just the rear trim.

Local dealer charged me ~$140 for the parts "kit" and labor.

FWIW…

a) Online info does NOT reveal the method to get to the "latch pins."

b) This repair is NOT an intuitive one, especially for those cars w/ the 115VAC outlet.

Last edited:

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Thanks, I have the outlet out back as well. I need to replace my rear vent and figured I could kill two birds here. May not be so simple

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (225K, retired), 05 JSW (334K, retired) 2012 JSW, SEL Gone, 2016 GSW/TSI/6A
Thanks, I have the outlet out back as well. I need to replace my rear vent and figured I could kill two birds here. May not be so simple
FWIW, the "kit" is $42. If you're good, you can "make" the little (metric) nylon pins.

Black11TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (Gone But not Forgotten), 2013 Tiguan SE 4 Motion
My Tig did this the other day, I had the arm rest up plugging my phone into the charger and somehow i pushed it a bit further and I heard a pop noise..Its an easy fix, take the back panel off and there is this little piece of spring steel, that acts as a stop and also rubs along the curved support, I noticed it had went past its mark, I had to pry it out a bit to let the end stop of the armrest by and I am back to normal again. I put a zip tie around it to act as a pre stop I can feel hit first, so I know not to go farther now that that little tab is bent a it differently then it was from going past its stop.

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
My Tig did this the other day… Its an easy fix, take the back panel off and there is this little piece of spring steel
That's good news for Tig owners, sounds quite a bit "simpler" than the JSW's use of nylon pins instead of that steel spring.

Black11TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (Gone But not Forgotten), 2013 Tiguan SE 4 Motion
I guess I don't recall my golf, when I had mine apart a few years ago, I do remember the duct tape over the factory spring around the shaft, that wasn't on my Tig. I do know one thing is the armrest is a lot stronger. I was always afraid to bear weight in mine, fearing I would break it. I am starting to find more and more differences now, since the Tiguan is basically a fat Golf as a friend calls it, I just thought it was a taller armrest, but I guess they are 2 totally different ones now. Thanks for the clarification..

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Got it apart yesterday and nothing appeared broken. Reassembled and it's working as it did before. Kind of an oddity of sorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk