HELP! We need somebod(ies) v. Calling all volunteers!

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
Hello. You may not think you know me, since I'm not on the forums much (ever), but if you were at Fest 2012 or 2013 (or New Year's at Ho5G the last few years), then you've seen me running around doing event-organizing-stuff. And that is why I am starting this thread in search of helpers.

Planning and putting on Fest each year takes a lot of help from a lot of people. We tend to get some help once we're there, but we'd really like to know how many helpers we're going to have in advance. When we get last-minute volunteers, we don't always have something for them to do right then; if we're expecting you, we'll have something for you to do, and there’s a better chance it will be something you’ll enjoy doing.

Reasons to sign up to volunteer in advance include:

• There is a better chance to match people to the jobs they'd be good at/enjoy doing.
  • Pretty much every job is open right now, so you can pick whatever you want to do!
  • Volunteers who sign up in advance may be able to get a free t-shirt.
  • Volunteering is another way to get raffle tickets this year. Each job you take on earns you more tickets.
  • You can tell your friends exactly where and when to find you (even better, get them to sign up with you!)
If you’re worried that by helping out you’ll miss out on the fun, don’t worry! Helping out behind the information, merchandise, or TDIClub central tent tables is a great way to get to see just about everyone. Being the bouncer for an event means you’ll get to greet everyone as they come in and still be a part of the event. If you can give just a couple hours a day to helping make Fest go, it will be greatly appreciated.

And please don’t think that you can’t volunteer if you’re new to the club or to Fest. Helping out behind the scenes is a great way to get to know a lot of people very quickly. And it really is fun.

Below I have listed some of the things we need help with on each day. This is by no means a complete list, but it should give you a good idea of what kind of help we are requesting. Please take a look at it and pick where and when you’d like to help out. You can reply here or send a PM to me to sign up or get more information.

Thank you in advance for signing up to help make this Fest the best one yet!

Friday afternoon volunteer positions:
  • set up raffle/silent auctions/registration/merchandiseareas
  • handing out goody bags
  • watching over raffle/silent auction/merchandise tables
  • parking lot/lobby greeters & information
  • meet & greet bouncer
  • trivia host and assistant/spotter
Saturday volunteer positions:

• information table
  • tech session breakfast A/V
  • TDIClub central tent information table
  • set up/strike TDIClub central tent
  • breakfast bouncer
Sunday volunteer positions:

• information table
  • tech session & awards banquet A/V
  • TDIClub central tent information table
  • set up/strike TDIClub central tent
  • auctioneer, auction spotter, auction checkout, auction item distribution
  • raffle set up
  • awards banquet bouncer
Monday volunteer positions:

• help strike tables and chairs from tents
  • help pack up merchandise and supplies

Last edited:

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
looking for someone(s) special for some bigger jobs

While most of the positions we are looking for help with are pretty simple and can be done by anyone, there are a few important jobs that need just the right person. So, if you are interested in any of the following jobs, or want to suggest a friend you think would be good at them, please let us know! We are looking for:

• a trivia host for Friday night and/or a trivia writer
  • someone to run the raffle Sunday afternoon (must be a fast talker!)
  • an auctioneer for the awards banquet Sunday night (can be the same person as the raffle)
Unfortunately, the people who have filled these jobs wonderfully in the past are not able to do so this year. So, we're looking for some fun people who enjoy talking and being the center of attention to fill their shoes this year. It'll be fun!:D

Last edited:

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
Friday afternoon I and my husband Jeff can help with handing out goody bags, and on Saturday we can do a couple of hours at the information table. Maybe more, depending on if you get enough volunteers for the other jobs. But those two times are definite. Also, I will bring my handheld GPS and help anyone who wants to go geocaching.

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
Excellent! Thank you for jumping right in. We'll have some raffle tickets and volunteer t-shirts* for you both. :)

Who's next?

*I'll contact volunteers to get t-shirt sizes next week. In order to get a volunteer t-shirt, you have to sign up to volunteer before August 10th. I think that signing up before then also gets you more raffle tickets, so come join the cool kids! :cool:

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I can help on Fri/Sat/Sun with the raffle/auction.

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
Awesome, awesome, awesome! Thank you! :D

Someone smarter than I am pointed out that we already have the preferred t-shirt size for anyone who's registered, so I won't need to collect that information separately (thanks, GeekDrew). Everyone who signs up to volunteer before August 10th will get a free t-shirt*.

Everyone who signs up before August 24th will get one extra raffle ticket*, on top of the tickets earned for each job slot you fill (details on that when we're a bit closer).

Who's next? Someone who wants to greet everyone as they arrive Friday and help point them in the right direction? Or someone who wants to greet people as they arrive for the meet & greet, breakfast, or awards banquet (bouncer)? Or is our next auctioneer reading this right now?

Let me know!

*to get the t-shirt and raffle tickets, you have to actually DO the job you signed up for, of course. :cool:

W386

TDI
'96 Passat TDI wagon
I'm a Newbie, but willing to volunteer my help with any labor/project you decide to try me on. Should be there later on Friday, all Saturday & to mid Sunday…I expect? I'll look for someone in charge for directions. Peace….

Lug_Nut

TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I've signed up for some of the events (such as the Mt. Wash drive).

Is there a more definite (not subject to be changed) schedule of the events so that I don't volunteer to be on site when I'm also elsewhere?
Based on the current schedule:
Saturday, (at least until the drive time), and Sunday, I can be available for whatever menial or physical (please, no mental) tasks I can fulfill.
I work on Friday and may arrive late so I can't offer my services for Friday duties.
I need to leave very early on Monday so that day's out for certain.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I'll assist with the auction slideshow, I've still got the files from 2012 and 2013 so I can quickly get that going.

Also, if the trivia host needs assistance with writing questions (or if a writer is needed still altogether), I'm willing to help with that.

Waiting on other stuff to fall into place before I add more commitments to the list.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
My lodging is booked for the entire duration of the 'fest. I'm checking in on Thursday afternoon and checking out on Monday morning. I have all days available to help with 'fest activities. Not sure what to volunteer for yet but I'll figure that out when the time comes.

I am also bringing 4 commercial-grade UHF handheld radios on the GMRS/FRS channels to use at the 'fest. They are high quality radios, not cheap "bubble packs". I was originally planning to use a pair them between Lisa (g/f) and I but they could be used for on-site activities between 'fest volunteers. I also started a separate thread about having some radios for local on-site 2-way chit-chat.

:cool:

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I can help with watching over raffle/silent auction/merchandise tables for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, or anything else that needs doing ;-)

MrVermin

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
replies, replies, replies

You already know I got the AV work down.
Cool. I figured you'd probably end up responsible for it. I know that you, Jason, Lawson, and I will all kind of keep an eye on it. So, that one's covered.

I'll assist with the auction slideshow, I've still got the files from 2012 and 2013 so I can quickly get that going.

Also, if the trivia host needs assistance with writing questions (or if a writer is needed still altogether), I'm willing to help with that.

Waiting on other stuff to fall into place before I add more commitments to the list.
Thank you! Lawson said he thought you’d help out with those items; glad to have confirmation. We may also be doing a slide show for the meet & greet…I’m sure more info will come your way soon. You know we’ll put you to work whenever you have some free time. ;) Do you have any ideas for someone to actually do the reading of your trivia questions?

Is there a more definite (not subject to be changed) schedule of the events so that I don't volunteer to be on site when I'm also elsewhere?
I think there's a pretty solid schedule (except some tech session blanks) somewhere, but I'm not sure where; that's a Lawson question. Don’t worry too much about double-booking; we’ll work out the details when we’re closer and everyone has a better idea of what they are doing and when. We’ve always managed to work around the stuff people want to do in the past, so I’m sure we’ll make it work this time, too.

My lodging is booked for the entire duration of the 'fest. I'm checking in on Thursday afternoon and checking out on Monday morning. I have all days available to help with 'fest activities. Not sure what to volunteer for yet but I'll figure that out when the time comes.

I am also bringing 4 commercial-grade UHF handheld radios on the GMRS/FRS channels to use at the 'fest. They are high quality radios, not cheap "bubble packs". I was originally planning to use a pair them between Lisa (g/f) and I but they could be used for on-site activities between 'fest volunteers. I also started a separate thread about having some radios for local on-site 2-way chit-chat.

I don't remember if Lawson and I brought our radios from work (or if we will bring them this time), so it's good to know there will at least be some there. As for where you'll end up volunteering...we'll stick you somewhere to be useful! (You wouldn't happen to want to try out auctioneering/raffle mastering or trivia asking, would you?? :D)

I'm a Newbie, but willing to volunteer my help with any labor/project you decide to try me on. Should be there later on Friday, all Saturday & to mid Sunday…I expect? I'll look for someone in charge for directions. Peace….
Excellent decision! I jumped right into volunteering my first year and it was a great way to get to know people quickly and pretty much always have people to hang out with. You shouldn't have much trouble finding me or another organizer to put you to work once you're there. I hope to have a list out beforehand with where and when I'd like everyone to be, at least as a starting place. We're pretty much taking over one part of the hotel; we're not really spread out all over the place, so it shouldn't be too hard to find us.

Last edited:

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
Thank you to everyone who has signed up so far! I know many of you have helped out in previous years, so I'm glad you'll be back. :)

We seem to have a lot of general "table" help, which is great, cuz we have a lot of tables that need watching over pretty much the whole weekend.

In addition to the bigger jobs (auction/raffle/trivia), I'm now looking for anyone who wouldn't mind helping out after the awards banquet/auction Sunday night, probably for about an hour or so. This will be to help distribute the auction items and help the cashiers keep things moving.

Also, is anyone going to be around on Monday, even for just an hour or two in the morning? There's a fair amount of stuff to be packed up and moved around that day, so any and all help is welcome. It's not all physically demanding work, so don't let a bad back or knee or whatever keep you from signing up (though we can use a few strong ones, too!).

Five more days to sign up to get a volunteer t-shirt and extra raffle ticket! (August 10th is the deadline) Who's next? :D

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I could help out after the awards banquet to help distribute the auction items and with the cashiers and other stuff then :)

I'll also be there Monday morning to help with the packing up ....

MrVermin

cfc1016

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon Auto; 2001 Beetle 5spd
I will stick around around after the banquet/auction to help with logistics.

I would really love to volunteer to be the auctioneer and call the raffle but I have a question. If I am the auctioneer, does that not mean that I am ineligible to participate in the auction as a bidder? I would assume it would. As long as the list of items on the block is clearly detailed in advance so I can coach my guest to proxy bid for me (tell her what prices I'm willing to bid up to for each thing I'm interested in, etc) than I would be willing (and quite excited) to be the auctioneer. Let me know.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I will stick around around after the banquet/auction to help with logistics.

I would really love to volunteer to be the auctioneer and call the raffle but I have a question. If I am the auctioneer, does that not mean that I am ineligible to participate in the auction as a bidder? I would assume it would. As long as the list of items on the block is clearly detailed in advance so I can coach my guest to proxy bid for me (tell her what prices I'm willing to bid up to for each thing I'm interested in, etc) than I would be willing (and quite excited) to be the auctioneer. Let me know.

That would be a little tough to do. It goes pretty fast with the bids. The items on the block usually go for more than you can buy them for in general.

To be in the running, first you have ditch that K/M filter:D. The oil from the filter will fail your MAF.

cfc1016

TDI
So is the auction more like a charity/fundraiser style auction? If that's the case than I'll definitely do it.

My new MANN C37153 arrived yesterday and the k&n is no more. It has ceased to be. I'm more than happy to follow the advice of people who know more than me. I also don't feel like unnecessarily replacing my MAF sensor :-D

n1das

TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Wouldn't being the auctioneer and also participating in the auction by bidding on items be considered a conflict of interest?? :confused: Just a thought. EDIT: Just saw you have a proxy, so I think no conflict exists and would be OK. In that case, go for it! :)

Last edited:

cfc1016

TDI
That was my concern precisely, and why I asked about proxy bidding. I'd only really be interested in procurement if the items were likely to be cheaper than I would otherwise get them from idparts, dieselgeek, etc. If that's not the case than I'd be very excited to be auctioneer. It's kind of been a fantasy of mine since I was a little kid.

Lug_Nut

TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Thank you! Lawson said he thought you’d help out with those items; glad to have confirmation.

Do you have any ideas for someone to actually do the reading of your trivia questions?
(You wouldn't happen to want to try out auctioneering/raffle mastering or trivia asking, would you?? :D)
Lug_Nut said:
Based on the current schedule:
Saturday, (at least until the drive time), and Sunday, I can be available for whatever menial or physical (please, no mental) tasks I can fulfill.
I think there's a pretty solid schedule (except some tech session blanks) somewhere, but I'm not sure where; that's a Lawson question. Don’t worry too much about double-booking; we’ll work out the details when we’re closer and everyone has a better idea of what they are doing and when. We’ve always managed to work around the stuff people want to do in the past, so I’m sure we’ll make it work this time, too.
If someone can create the questions (and more crucially provide the accurate answers) I am quite happy to host the trivia. I apologize that I won't have time to work on the questions and answers myself.

And I can also make myself available for other tasks on Sat or Sun.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If someone can create the questions (and more crucially provide the accurate answers) I am quite happy to host the trivia. I apologize that I won't have time to work on the questions and answers myself.

And I can also make myself available for other tasks on Sat or Sun.
Thank you thank you! We will work on getting all of the questions and answers sorted out in advance. :cool: