custom sun shade for JW Pana roof now availble

JonD-2.7tDallas

TDI
2011 Jetta SW TDI
Please see e-mail traffic below. read from the bottom. Seems easier than cutting/pasting all the info!
Sent: Wed, May 18, 2011 11:18:04 AM
Subject: Re: Enquiry from HeatShieldStore.com
Hi Jon
Our website is being updated to include side, rear and sunroof window HeatShields. In the mean time, if you prefer ordering via the website just add a note in the comment field which windows you would also like to order HeatShields for and we can make sure it gets added to your order correctly before it ships out. Alternatively, you can call to place your order. Our numbers are listed below and we are in the office M-F from 8:00am to 4:00pm PST.
Thank you,
Sylvie
Office Manager
Aircraft Covers, Inc
DBA: Bruce's Custom Covers
DBA: Canvas Works
DBA: HeatShield
Toll Free: 800/777-6405
Ph: 408/738-3959
Fax: 408/738-2729
M-F 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
www.HeatShieldStore.com
www.AircraftCovers.com
On May 18, 2011, at 9:12 AM, Jon D wrote:
excellent!
when will it be order-able on the website?
I want to let everyone know
can you e-mail me a link?
Sent: Tue, May 17, 2011 6:37:54 PM
Subject: Re: Enquiry from HeatShieldStore.com
Hi Jon
Thank you for your email...and the reminder. We now have the pattern for the skylight on the 2011-12 VW Jetta Sportwagen. It's our pattern #1307T
Thank you,
Sylvie
Office Manager
Aircraft Covers, Inc
DBA: Bruce's Custom Covers
DBA: Canvas Works
DBA: HeatShield
Toll Free: 800/777-6405
Ph: 408/738-3959
Fax: 408/738-2729
M-F 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
www.HeatShieldStore.com
www.AircraftCovers.com

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Cool. Literally. Thanks for getting this together. My wife was pushing me to order for her car and I wanted to get it all together. I'll call Monday.

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
Excellent, thanks for making this happen.

I test drove a car yesterday with a pano roof but it had cooled seats & wow, my next car will have cooled seats! The JSW is the wife's ride. Without the ceramic tint that my JSW has, the pano lets in a lot of heat, shade in place and all & summer ain't here yet.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
This says it is for a 2011-2012 Sportwagen. I have a 2009 Sportwagen. Is the Pano roof any different starting in 2011? In other words, will this fit my 2009 JSW?

Have Fun!

Don

JonD-2.7tDallas

TDI
2011 Jetta SW TDI
This says it is for a 2011-2012 Sportwagen. I have a 2009 Sportwagen. Is the Pano roof any different starting in 2011? In other words, will this fit my 2009 JSW?

Have Fun!

Don
not really sure if the roofs are the same. I would find a pair of cars and measure

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Have Fun!

Don
not really sure if the roofs are the same. I would find a pair of cars and measure

I asked a friend who works in the parts department at a VW dealer to check this out. He said that the Panoramic roof parts are the exact same part numbers from 2009 thru 2011. This means that VW has not changed the pano roof. Therefore, this custom heat shield will fit the panoramic sunroof in any 2009+ Sportwagen (not just 2011-2012).

I just thought I'd pass on this little tidbit of knowledge in case any 2009 -2010 Sportwagen owners are looking at this thread.

Have Fun!

Don

cwescapexlt4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (previous 2011 JSW TDI)
yeah i couldn't imagine that pano being different due to the cost and no changes behind the A pillar. We are about to insert reflective insulation method above the screen as temps are about to hit 100's here as summer is settling in.

zagato27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDi CW Titan 6MT Pano Nav Interlagos
I went to the site and checked. Yes, they do have a heat/reflective shield for the JSW but it sure looks like it's for the windshield and not the Pano. Am I missing something??? The part # is 1307. I can't find a 1307T.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I went to the site and checked. Yes, they do have a heat/reflective shield for the JSW but it sure looks like it's for the windshield and not the Pano. Am I missing something??? The part # is 1307. I can't find a 1307T.
You are correct, it is not yet on their website, but it is available. Call their 800 number and order it on the phone. They are working to update their website but for now the only thing you can order on-line is windshield heatshields. When updates are done (whenever?) you will be able to order Pano roof and side window shields. They do not know when the website update will be completed. I presume that the 1307 is the car model (to them) and I assume that the "T" is for Top. This is just a guess, but it makes sense.

Have Fun!

Don

kwhitelaw

TDI
jsw white
might be a stupid question, but does the sunroof screen fit inbetween the glass and the retractable cover?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
might be a stupid question, but does the sunroof screen fit inbetween the glass and the retractable cover?
supposedly, but I haven't seen it yet. ordering today
I ordered mine yesterday, we shall see who gets theirs first.:rolleyes:

My big question is how do they prevent the issue I have seen with my homemade version? When you open up the sunscreen, how do they prevent the heat shield from also moving backwards and getting caught in the mechanism that winds up the stock sun screen? With my home made "heatshield" I have to keep the stock sunscreen open about 2-3 inches so I can stick my finger up there and hold the heatshield to prevent it from moving back when I open the screen. I hope that this "store bought" heatshield is thicker or that it has some other sort of way to keep it properly in place when the sunscreen is retracted. We shall see.

Have Fun!

Don

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
Has anybody got one of these on their JSW yet? I'm getting my sunroof tinted, but I'd consider this, too. Too much UV/heat in the car is a bad thing.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Has anybody got one of these on their JSW yet? I'm getting my sunroof tinted, but I'd consider this, too. Too much UV/heat in the car is a bad thing.
I ordered on 5/23, but it has not arrived yet. I'm guessing that even though they have a pattern for our Pano roof, they had none in stock. When mine arrives I will post my opinion and observations. It should arrive soon.

Have Fun!

Don

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
I've not ordered yet, am waiting to see how the roof works in our summer heat. (We get a lot of rain in the summer and cloud cover as it is Monsoon Season.) Thus far, the 30% ceramic on the pano and the factory shade seem to be good at doing their job. I'm also finding that we open the roof a lot more than we ever did with previous vehicles so equipped. That said, I've not ordered yet as I'm still not sure on the need but will be interested to see how it works for others.

jandres

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I am interested in these too but waiting for a review and hopefully some pictures from somebody.

Past_VNE

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS 5-spd, '12 JSW 6M
I haven't bought yet, but if we get one with a sunroof, I'll be glad to be following this thread. :)

Aphelion

TDI
2011 Jetta SportWagen
I test drove a 2011 with a Pano sunroof on a 90° day and my hair felt like it was on fire. As much as I wanted it, I couldn't justify the expense because of the extra heat. Phoenix is too hot for a Pano. :(

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Review of this sun shade

OK, I finally got my HeatShield Pano roof sunshade yesterday and installed it today, so here is my personal review.

First a word about the company: I ordered my sun shade on May 23. When I had not received it (or any communications) by June 21, I called them up to complain. After they looked up my order they informed me that it had not shipped it because they did not have my credit card expiration date or security code. There are only two possible reasons why they did not have this info. One: they didn't ask me for it, or Two: They didn't write it down. Either way it was their mistake and they should have contacted me (they had my address and my email address) instead of waiting for me to call up and complain. Just a small rant.

Anyway, to the review. This heat shield is actually very nice. It is a very tight fit, so some effort is necessary to stick the edges up into the gap between the head lines and the pano roof. Also the heat shield has 12 little suction cups that attach it directly to the glass. This eliminates the problem I had with my homemade version of a heatshield which was the heatshield moving backwards when I opened the standard sun screen (possibly getting caught in the mechanism). All in all, I like the product, but you can expect to take about 5 or 10 minutes to install it. You cannot just open up the screen by six inches and then slide the shield into place. You have to open the sun screen all the way and then install the heat shield - then you can close the screen. You will want to make sure that it is correctly positioned before you press on the 12 suction cups to attach it to the glass. I ended up installing and removing it a few times before I got it correctly centered. I will go much easier next year when I install it again.

BTW: The heatshield costs $34.95 plus $9.88 for shipping for a total of $44.83.

Have Fun!

Don

cwescapexlt4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (previous 2011 JSW TDI)
Thanks for the update JSW - will be interesting to see how the suction cups hold up over a summer or 2 ... or more. I am interested in the idea vs. my "Foil bubble sheet" up there now.

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
Not So Photogenic

I just put mine in...but you'd hardly know it. '11 JSW TDI. It's silver outside, black inside.

I have 50% ceramic tint on top. When installed on my car, you can't see the shade from the top. You just see dark glass.

From the inside, what you see depends on what you do with the OEM sunshade screen. With the OEM sunshade screen closed, there's no light passing through the perforations.

Take a look below for a photo of the custom sunshade with the OEM sunshade screen retracted. I like the look you get with the OEM sunshade screen closed rather than looking at the bottom of the custom sunshade. Others are fine with the look of the custom sunshade instead of the OEM sunscreen shade.

You also may consider keeping the OEM sunshade screen open to avoid the risk of the OEM sunscreen catching the custom sunshade, which could pull the OEM screen off the tracks. This is an expensive proposition, so give it some thought.

I'm going to investigate yanking the fuses for the sunroof and the sunshade screen. I've used VDCS to enable window opening via key fob. Nothing good can come of opening the sunroof when the custom sunshade is installed, though.

Biggest concern in this installation is making sure the custom sunshade stays clear of the OEM sunshade screen tracks. It seems like there's plenty of room--and there is. But you still do need to be careful.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any pics of the installed product ?

TIA.
Thanks for the update JSW - will be interesting to see how the suction cups hold up over a summer or 2 ... or more. I am interested in the idea vs. my "Foil bubble sheet" up there now.

OK Guys, here some pics:

Front end view (taken from back seat)

Rear end view (taken from between the front seats)(Ignore the top of my head:rolleyes:)

These heat shields are a tight fit, so the stock sun screen is not necessary to hold it up. I could close the sun screen, but I really see no need to do so. I consider this a big improvement over my old homemade foil bubble sheet model. Where you see the little round circles - that is where the suction cups are that stick it to the glass. It is such a tight fit that I am not even certain that the suction cups are needed, but they can't hurt.

Have Fun!

Don

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Wow, that looks awful.

Ok, this thread begs the question .. why did you folks order a car with a panoramic sunroof in the first place?