MkV / MkVI Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010)

Damn True

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
danham said:
My window sticker, under Comfort/Convenience, says "Bluetooth mobile telephone connectivity."

-dan
Which is identical to the verbiage on the TDI Jetta Sedan which DOES have the full-featured bluetooth.

Hell, the manual even identifies the voice activation button as such and provides instructions for the voice activiation setup despite the lack of those features on the car.

lordscarlet

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (When I can find one)
I see nothing incorrect about the statement "Bluetooth mobile telephone connectivity." The 9w2 does, in fact, connect to a mobile telephone. It allows you to have conversations on a mobile telephone. Nowhere does it say "voice dialing" or "integrated phonebook" or anything similar.

People in this thread are just getting too angry over something they wanted and assumed (for no reason) would be available. There is no legal standing and all of the grand standing about suing VWoA is laughable.

Damn True

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
lordscarlet said:
I see nothing incorrect about the statement "Bluetooth mobile telephone connectivity." The 9w2 does, in fact, connect to a mobile telephone. It allows you to have conversations on a mobile telephone. Nowhere does it say "voice dialing" or "integrated phonebook" or anything similar.

People in this thread are just getting too angry over something they wanted and assumed (for no reason) would be available. There is no legal standing and all of the grand standing about suing VWoA is laughable.
You'll find no mention of litigation in my commentary.

I had a number of reasons to assume that the features in question were present.

The verbiage used to describe the two systems on the stickers is identical, leading one to believe the performance of the systems in each car is identical.

The text in the manuals indicate that the systems are identical, leading one to believe the performance of the systems in each car is identical.

The description provided by the "trained" sales staff is identical, leading one to believe the performance of the systems in each car is identical.

Given the above, I think it is more than reasonable to expect the systems to perform as described. They dont.

Now if you are not upset by that, fine. I am. I intend to see to it that VW-NA provides the feature set that I was led to believe was in the car.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Damn True said:
Which is identical to the verbiage on the TDI Jetta Sedan which DOES have the full-featured bluetooth.

Hell, the manual even identifies the voice activation button as such and provides instructions for the voice activiation setup despite the lack of those features on the car.
There is a ton of stuff in VW and Audi manuals that is not installed on all models, and they plague us with footnotes every other page reminding us of that [g], so just a friendly suggestion that you will want to omit this from your list of reasons when you approach VOA.

-dan

lordscarlet

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (When I can find one)
As danham noted, the manual notes where items may not be in your car. The verbiage, to me, merely states that both have bluetooth. To me, you are the one that read too much into it.

For the record, you have not mentioned litigation, but others have. You did say, however, that "I intend to see to it that VW-NA provides the feature set that I was led to believe was in the car." I'm still not sure how you were "lead to believe" that your bluetooth would have voice dialing. The sticker says it has bluetooth connectivity. The manual (which I doubt you saw before you bought your car, but correct me if I'm wrong) says that SOME models have voice dialing. Did the salesman say "the JSW has voice dialing" or any of the other features that the 9w2 does not?

Just because someone says that a car with 9w2 and 9w3 both have bluetooth connectivity there's no reason for you to jump to the conclusion that that connectivity is the same. I fail to see where a reasonable person would make that conclusion.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I have a 2010 Jetta TDI sedan. I cannot figure out how to use the bluetooth at all. There is nothing in the manual that even mentions bluetooth.

Are there specific instructions somewhere out there? I don't want to do anything fancy, just receive calls on the go.

If anyone could help it would be appreciated. Thanks.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Do Canadian vehicles get different manuals? The manuals in my car have lots of info on BT - many pages of it - some of which even applies to my model [g].

-dan

Damn True

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
From "myturbodiesel.com"

Canadian wagons do not get any bluetooth in any trim. Even though the spec sheet says so, Canadians have taken delivery of their wagons and the cars are only prewired for bluetooth. Because of the number of complaints VW Canada will negotiate down the price for adding the bluetooth module to make it work.

Damn True

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
lordscarlet said:
That really doesn't have anything to do with the advertising for the US version.
No kidding? Thanks.

I was providing a datapoint relative to the inquiry above regarding a canadian buyer. I don't know if the differences between Canadian wagons and sedans and US wagons and sedans are consistant. Do you?

Gowens

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportswagen - multi steer- RNS-510 nav
I don't know what i am doing here, but i want to post about my new Bluetooth. I ordered a 1Z0-035-729C from the Poland company that is on E-Bay. Not everything he said it was. Ad said it was Plug&play.I sent him a message about my car and he replied that everything would work. Easy to install, plugs right up. White-Dot MFD booted right up with Phone menu, RNS-510 nav came up with phone menus, voice control from micro button does not. I complained and he said it had to be recoded with the last to numbers changed to "77". I am not entirely unhappy because everything else works. i don't have ability to recode. I paid $310 + $50 shipping. Part he sent was made in Germany and labeled as 1Z0-035-729E, he said this better than C. It took 12 days Parcel Post to get here. I only joined this Forum so i could put out this info, hope it helps someone. The passcode on the cellphone bluetooth is "1234". More info. I was looking on VWvortex Forum, a guy bought a 1Z0-035-727C from the VW Dealer above Charlotte N.C that sells VW parts at 15% above cost. He posted pictures of the part and it looked identical to the one a bought from E-Bay.

Last edited:

TXRanger83

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I just changed the coding on my car via VCDS and it worked perfectly...I didn't really play with it long, because its 20 degrees outside. I have a 2010 Jetta Sedan, and here is the part number for my phone: 1Z0 035 729 C and I used the code:0000477.

I didn't get a chance to see if I can now stream audio via bluetooth, but I did try a voice command "dial steve" and it prompted me telling me there was no phone book, is this because I jut have the RCD-510 and not the RNS-510? other then that it worked great, it showed my my address book, missed calls, and dialed calls...it also now has a caller id function with an accept or reject call.

Last edited:

Gowens

TDI
Your voice commands should work from your cell phone address book, the RCD-510 radio has nothing to do with it. It takes a few minutes from the time you hook up the module for it to sync up with your cell phone. I am assuming you re-synced your cell phone with bluetooth after you changed modules. My re-synced cell phone code was "1234". Not sure since you only recoded your same module, whether you have to re-sync your cell phone or not.

Last edited:

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
The BT module has its own internal phone book for voice commands. If you don't store any names and numbers, it won't dial any. It does not use the phone's voice commands. iPinch (Jay) has a video detailing the procedure, but I think the voice command is something like "store number" after it asks you for a command.

Starbucker

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
Pelican18TQA4 said:
The BT module has its own internal phone book for voice commands. If you don't store any names and numbers, it won't dial any. It does not use the phone's voice commands. iPinch (Jay) has a video detailing the procedure, but I think the voice command is something like "store number" after it asks you for a command.
+1

They are totally separate systems. The VW voice dialing is not accessing your phone at all. You need to speak in all of your contacts to the VW system. Afterward, you can voice dial and it actually works well. The BT PHONE menu is useful for seeing caller ID mostly.

Gowens

TDI
Vag-com

Anyone got a Vag-Com in the Greenville/Spartanburg S.C. or Hendersonville N.C area that can recode my 1Z0-035-729E for me. My voice commands do not work. The E-Bay/Poland guy i bought it from says the last two numbers need to be "77". I don't know if that's right or not, but not today, i am snowed/iced in. The Sevice Manager at my dealership tried to recode the module today. The changing of the last two numbers to "77" didn't work. The code that came on it is "13022". The recoding that i got from this forum on the "C" model does not work on the "E" model. Stay away from the guy in Poland. Anyone have any ideas on the coding? I already know that i should not have done this in the first place. You know how us southern boys are, we don't forget.

Last edited:

CNGracing

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE MT6
I convinced the dealer I bought my 2010 jetta sedan tdi from to change the coding and now it shows the phone menu in the mfi, GREAT!!!. Problem though, I only see last calls. Missed calls, received calls, and phonebook are empty. I am using a Blackberry 8900. I thought I saw a post (cant remember where) that they were able to send contacts to vw phonebook and see it in MFI, but my blackberry says unable to see object push and wont send any other information. Need help/clarification am I missing somethiing. I LOVE MY TDI - All 5 days of it.

Starbucker

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
CNGracing said:
I convinced the dealer I bought my 2010 jetta sedan tdi from to change the coding and now it shows the phone menu in the mfi, GREAT!!!. Problem though, I only see last calls. Missed calls, received calls, and phonebook are empty. I am using a Blackberry 8900. I thought I saw a post (cant remember where) that they were able to send contacts to vw phonebook and see it in MFI, but my blackberry says unable to see object push and wont send any other information. Need help/clarification am I missing somethiing. I LOVE MY TDI - All 5 days of it.
FWIW : My Blackberry Curve and my wife's Samsung Slider both work perfect. You can see the call logs as well as all the contacts.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
CNGracing said:
i have this same issue with my LG Chocolate Touch, I was told it was a profiles sharing/Verizon issue, and there might be a software update for it.

Gowens

TDI
The E-bay/Poland guy has now said he will take it back(1Z0-035-729E) and send me a (1Z0-035-729C). This is only after i filed a complaint with E-bay about him not sending the part i ordered. He also sent another code to try and make the voice commands work. I am going to my dealer tomorrow to see if this works. I don't think it will because his Ads say an "E" model is for vw's without muli-functional steering wheel. If it doesn't work, back it goes. Then i will have to pay shipping to Poland, plus there will be at least a 3 week turn around time. I should have got one from the dealer above Charlotte for about $450 and i would be done with this.--new code did not work. The "E" module is in the mail on it's way back to poland. Awaiting his returning a "C" model. $36.00 to mail it. We live and learn, and then we die.

Last edited:

ludwigsburger

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
2010 Jetta TDI sedan.I had to get a new phone, got a Samsung Convoy. Went to the dealer today and had them change the code to 0000477. Everything works like a charm, just like the pictures in the previous post from Starbucker.

tuck

TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
I just got a 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan last week. I have a Droid. They pair up and the voice activation works. The Droid notified me that the Volkswagen wanted to download the Address Book. I accepted. Unfortunately, I don't have the MFI Phone menu so I cannot access the phonebook. The voice activation phone book doesn't have any of the numbers and I have to add these manually.

I just got back from my dealer and I asked them to enter the code. They refused and said the Phone menu on the MFI is only available on the CC & Passat. They gave me a technical service bulletin with a Transaction no of 2021523/3 dated 12/9/09.

They did verify that I have the Bluetooth UHV High (9W3). The only problem with the Service bulletin is it applies to the 2009 Sedan/Wagon and makes no mention of the 2010. I just noticed this, but I'm not really in the mood to argue with car dealership staff, today.

ziffdine

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI
I'm kind of confused about this whole thing. My 2010 JSW TDI has Bluetooth. It even came with supplementary instructions for voice-activated dialing and phonebook access - but the dealer said that my car can't do either.

I have an iPhone 3G, so I'm pretty sure the phone isn't the issue.

I have the buttons on the steering wheel and the instructions with my owner manual, but I guess that's just for show. Anyone know why VW would include everything in the car, but not let it work?

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
The JSW equipped with the non-navigation radio comes with BT that lets you receive calls and speak hands-free using your iPhone. It will not do voice dialing (though your iPhone will) and will not display or store a phonebook.

The steering wheel buttons will function with hands-free for volume, answering calls, rejecting one, switching to "private" mode, etc.

This all I need for BT, but this topic also covers how to install the components which come with the nav version so that you can do voice dialing and phonebooks.

-dan

Last edited:

Damn True

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
ziffdine said:
I'm kind of confused about this whole thing. My 2010 JSW TDI has Bluetooth. It even came with supplementary instructions for voice-activated dialing and phonebook access - but the dealer said that my car can't do either.

I have an iPhone 3G, so I'm pretty sure the phone isn't the issue.

I have the buttons on the steering wheel and the instructions with my owner manual, but I guess that's just for show. Anyone know why VW would include everything in the car, but not let it work?
My experience with this begins on post # 53 of this thread. You can and should get the dealer to rectify this. My 9W3 is on its way and will be installed soon, on their dime.

tuck

TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
As a follow-up to my issue, I had to go to service for another problem, and when I went in, they said they found out how to turn on the Phone menu in the MFI and are willing to do it to my car. So, I've set up an appointment for next Wednesday to have it done.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Has anyone looked at the VW website lately? They have pretty much removed any mention of Bluetooth as an option / standard feaure on the Golf and JSW. Canada too.

A few weeks back the language had changed to "Handsfree call reception" or something of that nature.

ziffdine

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI
Damn True said:
My experience with this begins on post # 53 of this thread. You can and should get the dealer to rectify this. My 9W3 is on its way and will be installed soon, on their dime.
Nice. What did you have to do to convince the dealership to make the switch?

Starbucker

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
It seems that dealers are beginning to figure the coding out. A local dealer just coded another new unit after a complaint by a customer (via a sales committment).

Now for a dealer to actually order a different BT unit, install it, and recode it under warranty, that's service!