Particulate Filter replacement $$

adrian537

TDI
2014 vw jetta sportwagen tdi
After receiving a brand new DPF and EGR valve on Volkswagen's dime back in July and driving approximately 1,300 miles my car is yet again receiving a new DPF, EGR and a MAFS on Volkswagen's dime. Shortly after the new parts were installed I noticed a lot of soot on the back of the car and sure enough within 1,300 miles my check engine came on. My car is at the dealer as of today getting the job re-done. Vw dealer said I have no vacuum/air leak. Go figure……

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
My car is waiting for a new Dpf and egr filter too.Dealer said that the Dpf is on backorder.Well no complaints at least they gave me a 2019 loaner Jetta until the car is fixed.

adrian537

TDI
2014 vw jetta sportwagen tdi
my dealership ordered the parts last week. so i had to wait for the same reason. you know, its funny i've got a 2019 loaner Jetta as well.

Lampshaj

TDI
Mk6
My car is waiting for a new Dpf and egr filter too.Dealer said that the Dpf is on backorder.Well no complaints at least they gave me a 2019 loaner Jetta until the car is fixed.
I've been waiting 2 weeks for a back-ordered dpf, how long did you end up waiting?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Just had a DPF and EGR filter replaced this week. Text my service advisor earlier the previous week with a P2002 code and exhaust soot, he ordered DPF and EGR filter, took a few days and picked up car yesterday.

They had no issue getting any parts.

steelriver

TDI
2010 vw golf tdi
I have a 2010 TDI Golf that I purchased new in Oct. 2009. On several occasions around 110K the DPF clogged and the dealer took the car on a road trip to unblock filter. At 112K the DPF filter which had a one piece flex connection started to leak exhaust at the flex section. Because of Diesel-Gate The DPF was under warranty and replaced at no cost. Still, these DPF's are the achilles' heal of the VW TDI. $$$$$

cb1000rider

TDI
none - considering 4runner conversion
2011, 137k miles - has been setting DPF codes for about 3 months. VW is replacing both the DPF and EGR at their expense.

With the aftermarket part costing over $1k, no idea what retail would be on this repair...

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
2012 jetta with 44k, waiting on dpf replacement.... dealer in Wausau can't get part, say its on order block, on backorder.. Been getting several codes related to DPF, plus they discovered my Turbo went out. They so far replaced my Turbo, Coolant Fans, and something else.. forgot... just waiting on the DPF, Been without my car over a month sitting there.... driving a loaner........

2011, 137k miles - has been setting DPF codes for about 3 months. VW is replacing both the DPF and EGR at their expense.

With the aftermarket part costing over $1k, no idea what retail would be on this repair...

trentcdrums

TDI
2012 6 Speed Golf Coupe TDI
My car is getting this fixed currently. They've had the car for over a month because The part is on back order. I forgot I even own a car not having it this long

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
My car is getting this fixed currently. They've had the car for over a month because The part is on back order. I forgot I even own a car not having it this long

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’m waiting on parts as well. I was told it’s over 20 of us nationally wait on them. And the parts have been on order for over 3 months say VW dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Extend warranty by delayed service time?

Some of you who are without your cars for an extended period, ask the dealer, and ultimately vw about extending your warranty by the amount of time you are without the car.

That would be my MINIMUM expectation for the inconvenience.

Last edited:

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Some of you who are without your cars for an extended period, ask the dealer, and ultimately be about extending your warranty by the amount of time you are without the car.

Luckily I still have mine ... driving with my CE light on with codes p2002 & p0401 (EGR & DPF below threshold along those lines) I was assured by the service manager that nothing will happen to my motor from driving it under these conditions.... still makes me very angry these parts are not available you would think anything dieselgate related VW would be all over it... and of course the dealership has no info on when the parts will show.

Izuk

TDI
00' nb tdi
Luckily I still have mine ... driving with my CE light on with codes p2002 & p0401 (EGR & DPF below threshold along those lines) I was assured by the service manager that nothing will happen to my motor from driving it under these conditions.... still makes me very angry these parts are not available you would think anything dieselgate related VW would be all over it... and of course the dealership has no info on when the parts will show.

Me too, had mine in b4 the holidays, they ordered the dpf and new intake, they returned my call today to tell me the dpf is on backorder and they would "be in touch"....

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Me too, had mine in b4 the holidays, they ordered the dpf and new intake, they returned my call today to tell me the dpf is on backorder and they would "be in touch"....

YUP, I sent a not so happy email to the service manager and that’s how I found out it’s a bunch of us nationally waiting for these parts .... the first couple have been waiting for over 3 month so I’m told. So hopefully that means the parts will show up soon. Just curious intake manifold? And why ? Did they give you a reason because I’ll try to get my service advisor to order one for me lol.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
This post is back before the "fix" it basically found most CR'S were loading 10ml's of ash per 10k miles. @ 240ml max. this is apx. 1/4 million mile life span... post fix, not a chance?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3480378&postcount=11

I wonder what an average post fix numbers are?

Any one able to check/report ash load & miles of replaced DPF since "fix". I have 5k on my replacement but no way yet to check.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
This post is back before the "fix" it basically found most CR'S were loading 10ml's of ash per 10k miles. @ 240ml max. this is apx. 1/4 million mile life span... post fix, not a chance?

Any one able to check/report ash load & miles of replaced DPF since "fix". I have 5k on my replacement but no way yet to check.

I wonder if it’s upstream and not the DPF clogging but indeed the EGR screen? I’m just spitballing here so don’t rack me over the coals lol.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

I wonder if it’s upstream and not the DPF clogging but indeed the EGR screen? I’m just spitballing here so don’t rack me over the coals lol.

Not sure what you are asking?. I have seen posted that the fix has created much more EGR related sludge. Both in component design and altered operation

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
I reason I was asking is because currently waiting on a new DPF and they also ordered a EGR filter screen.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
I reason I was asking is because currently waiting on a new DPF and they also ordered a EGR filter screen.

I think this is standard for the repair. If soot is getting through the DPF, it's clogging the EGR filter too, hence the need to replace both. When mine was done, the service advisor said it's all one part and both are automatically replaced, but I don't think the first part of that statement is correct.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I almost feel like a LiquiMoly salesman, but I assure I'm not. Here goes:

Have any of you tried the DPF Protector fuel additive? It's supposed to help clean clogged DPFs. I've read good reviews of it, and I know IDparts.com is running a special on it.

https://www.idparts.com/liqui-moly-dpf-protector-p-4958.html

Worth a try for some of you. I've run one can and since then I've noticed regens running slightly less often. I think I'm seeing a small FE bump up as well, will keep track of it over several fillups to make sure.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen

Have any of you tried the DPF Protector fuel additive? It's supposed to help clean clogged DPFs. I've read good reviews of it, and I know IDparts.com is running a special on it.

Worth a try for some of you. I've run one can and since then I've noticed regens running slightly less often. I think I'm seeing a small FE bump up as well, will keep track of it over several fillups to make sure.

When I get the new filter on that’s what I plan on doing... I’ve heard it’s really effective at keeping it clean (when it’s clean) but doesn’t really help once it’s dirty.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP

You think this will effect a fuel test if checked at dealer? In other words..( "sorry no warranty.. your fuel is contaminated!"):mad:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
You think this will effect a fuel test if checked at dealer? In other words..( "sorry no warranty.. your fuel is contaminated!"):mad:
Im going into VW for a CEL issue right now. The 1st thing the service writer told me is they check for modification. VW is the only dealer that makes you agree to a $150 diagnosis IF it fails to go warrenty. Id say f off but they all (VW dealers here) do it. Ill update results

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Im going into VW for a CEL issue right now. The 1st thing the service writer told me is they check for modification. VW is the only dealer that makes you agree to a $150 diagnosis IF it fails to go warrenty. Id say f off but they all (VW dealers here) do it. Ill update results
Funny..I have had 3 dpf's replaced in 2 years and around 17,000 miles total since fix and they have not mentioned a diagnostic fee?.. although they DID try to refuse me because of "bad" fuel:eek:..they fixed it under warranty every time... last time took some persuading though!:D

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
O.K. back from dealer with a smile. P13ce P13do, bad cylinder #1 glow plug. C.P.O. covered @ 0 cost. :D A little info. gathered that may help others with these cars.
1) Modifying with a tune. According to the tech. the 2011 ecm can not tell if you had a tune and went back to stock for warrenty work. According to him the 2011 isn't new enough to have a counter like the newer years. IF this is true/confirmed a non delete tune is, well... Any confirmation input?
2) Confirmed with service writer that the Polar F.I.S. isn't a warranty killer, as it has no bearing on the drivability etc. yahoo.
3) I asked while the tech was in the diag. if he could report the ash load. My DPF has ONLY 5k miles on it. I have been particularly interested in watching the numbers (soon w/polar FIS). Looking at them I need some help from experienced read of the ash load #'s & metric to miles conversion help. Here it is exactly as written on paperwork:

"Preformed test plan for ash load measurement and found the test load is currently 78 . 0ML and is still far below the maximum load of 200ML Test plan states after apx. 122000KM of driving will be necessary to replace the particulate filter."

Side note 200ML is lower than the 250ML max I've read about before???

Last edited:

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
O.K. back from dealer with a smile. P13ce P13do, bad cylinder #1 glow plug. C.P.O. covered @ 0 cost. :D A little info. gathered that may help others with these cars.
1) Modifying with a tune. According to the tech. the 2011 ecm can not tell if you had a tune and went back to stock for warrenty work. According to him the 2011 isn't new enough to have a counter like the newer years. IF this is true/confirmed a non delete tune is, well... Any confirmation input?
2) Confirmed with service writer that the Polar F.I.S. isn't a warranty killer, as it has no bearing on the drivability etc. yahoo.
3) I asked while the tech was in the diag. if he could report the ash load. My DPF has ONLY 5k miles on it. I have been particularly interested in watching the numbers (soon w/polar FIS). Looking at them I need some help from experienced read of the ash load #'s & metric to miles conversion help. Here it is exactly as written on paperwork:

"Preformed test plan for ash load measurement and found the test load is currently 78 . 0ML and is still far below the maximum load of 200ML Test plan states after apx. 122000KM of driving will be necessary to replace the particulate filter."

Side note 200ML is lower than the 250ML max I've read about before???
If you only have 5k miles on the DPF, but already have 78 ml of ash inside, how would it be possible to go 122,000 km (75,807 miles) before reaching the 200 ml limit? If the ash loading is a linear function of the distance driven, the DPF should last only about 12,820 miles (20,632 km). I assume there is no way to get rid of the ash from the DPF once it is there.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
If you only have 5k miles on the DPF, but already have 78 ml of ash inside, how would it be possible to go 122,000 km (75,807 miles) before reaching the 200 ml limit? If the ash loading is a linear function of the distance driven, the DPF should last only about 12,820 miles (20,632 km). I assume there is no way to get rid of the ash from the DPF once it is there.

What do you folks think about the DPF/EGR delete kit? Because if this keeps happening I don’t want to deal with going to the dealership every couple months...

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
What do you folks think about the DPF/EGR delete kit? Because if this keeps happening I don’t want to deal with going to the dealership every couple months...

I think I addressed it earlier in this thread, but I know I've said it on the forum.
I brought the car in for a DPF light in april of 2019. The tech discovered it was a clogged catalytic converter. I was getting about 30mpg highway and the car was in near constant regen.
After about 1 month of no replacement parts, I reached out to VWoA and they said the part was backordered with no ETA... of course I asked how a company with a global supply chain network cannot tell me when a damn pipe and cat are going to be welded together.

By august (4 months later) I said screw it and got a Rawtek/Malone setup and fixed the problem myself.
Finally, in November (7 months after diagnosing a clogged cat) the part arrived at the dealership and I brought in the old cat and traded it for the new one... to put on my parts pile.

A warranty is no good to me if I have to wait 7-8 months for the part.

I'll add, last year I had issues with the ECU. The car was acting strange and not wanting to start/stumbling on takeoff after a start. I brought it to the dealership and they discovered the ECU "failed several diagnostic tests."
It took me about 2 months to get a new ECU.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
I think I addressed it earlier in this thread, but I know I've said it on the forum.
I brought the car in for a DPF light in april of 2019. The tech discovered it was a clogged catalytic converter. I was getting about 30mpg highway and the car was in near constant regen.
After about 1 month of no replacement parts, I reached out to VWoA and they said the part was backordered with no ETA... of course I asked how a company with a global supply chain network cannot tell me when a damn pipe and cat are going to be welded together.

By august (4 months later) I said screw it and got a Rawtek/Malone setup and fixed the problem myself.
Finally, in November (7 months after diagnosing a clogged cat) the part arrived at the dealership and I brought in the old cat and traded it for the new one... to put on my parts pile.

A warranty is no good to me if I have to wait 7-8 months for the part.

I'll add, last year I had issues with the ECU. The car was acting strange and not wanting to start/stumbling on takeoff after a start. I brought it to the dealership and they discovered the ECU "failed several diagnostic tests."
It took me about 2 months to get a new ECU.

I’m only getting around 30ish as well.... so you said Cat? Not the DPF ?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
You think this will effect a fuel test if checked at dealer? In other words..( "sorry no warranty.. your fuel is contaminated!")
Not sure how this fuel additive would show up on a lab test. The point of the additive is that it's supposed to be diluted by a full tank of fuel, over the course of which several regens will take place. The additive helps the regen process be more effective at cleaning the DPF.

Remember that the DPF is a filter essentially, and all filters get plugged up with enough usage. The regen cycle is the cleaning cycle, and the hotter it runs the better it cleans. That's what the additive helps with, AFAIK.