Could a Flashzilla, flash a pre-fix tune back?

Bikoman

To the guru's out there. If I were to purchase a Flashzilla from Malone, would I be able to a. find a pre fix tune and b. flash it to my 2012 JSW?

Thanks

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
That would be nice to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
no it cannot. The device works off of a stock file, it cannot write a stock file over another stock file (or another vehicle), since they would be different base files or VINs.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
If you had a pre-fix file from your own car, had your car "fixed", you couldn't put the pre-fix file back in the same car post "fix". Is that correct?

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
According to the Malone website, the Flashzilla v3 will hold just 1 stock tune file and 5 mod tune files. I guess that the trick would be to get a pre-fix stock file marked as a mod file. That would give you your post-fix tune as "stock" and a pre-fix tune as one mod along with whatever other real mod tunes that you have purchased. I think that I read somewhere that most of the tuners use the pre-fix tune as their "base" file, so they might have one available for purchase, for off-road use only, of course...

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Feels like some confusion here....

If you buy a Flashzilla, and use it as intended, you capture the existing ECU file, and store it as the stock tune.

This file can be modified by your tuner, and uploaded to the ECU. If you want to revert back to the original, you can do so at any time by using the Flashzilla to re-upload the stock ECU file that you initially saved.

All of these are locked to a specific vehicle using the VIN, and cannot be swapped between vehicles.

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
which is what I was saying. the OP's post-fix stock tune that is in his ECU today would be saved as his stock tune. If he bought a pre-fix stock tune as a mod file (or if the tuner modified his post-fix tune back to stock pre-fix specs), he could upload that pre-fix tune to his ECU under his VIN as a mod. Later, he could revert back to his post-fix stock tune by re-uploading his post-fix tune file that was saved as his stock tune. All one vehicle, one VIN.

Last edited:

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
i have to apologize.

First off, I did not notice that one of the replies was from Owain at Malone. Since they are the FlashZilla vendor, his reply should be considered to be straight from the source.

Second, my answers have been merely speculation, I have no direct experience with the product (yet). I was just brainstorming on how the original request might be done, though I personally don’t see much reason why. If I were to go to the trouble and expense of getting an alternate tune, I would opt for the better performance of a stage 1 or stage 2 tune, rather than the almost imperceptible difference between pre-fix and post-fix stock tunes.