www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old April 28th, 2019, 20:39   #1
Burgess713

Angry 2006 Jetta TDI- No Crank/no start, stuck in park :/

2006 Jetta, TDI, Automatic with bump shift.
Iíve read many threads on this but none of the solutions seemed to work in my case so here is my desperate attempt to get this car going...
Car ran fine, wife parked it in driveway. Next time she got in, no crank, no start and itís stuck in park.

What Iíve done:
Replaced battery
Check fuses in dash and under hood 3 times
Replace brake light switch - brake lights turn on when brake is pressed
Pulled ignition switch out and tried to start car with screw driver
Bench tested starter at autozone, it works
Car makes no attempt to start, lights come on when you turn the key, but nothing happens, starter doesnít budge. Dealer said it probably isnít the computer.
Manually took car out of park to neutral, testily didnít start.
Blanketed car with a wide variety of obscenities.

Next course of action is to test the shift lock solenoid. Anything else between the ignition switch and starter I can check?

Thanks in advance.
-Matt
Burgess713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 04:09   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

OBD works, should have started there.

You need to see if the Steering Column Module sees the key turned to the crank position. Then you need to ask the Transmission controller (the M-unit) if it is getting the correct value from the Gear Selector control unit in the car.

Of course, by now your poking around has certainly caused a pile of DTCs, so you'll have to clear that all out and start from scratch.

No, an Autozone scan tool won't work. You need something that speaks Volkswagen, and can talk to all the modules in the car.

www.ross-tech.com has an excellent one.

Last edited by oilhammer; April 29th, 2019 at 04:12.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 00:29   #3
bobthefarmer
Veteran Member

I have the very same problem, just started happening in May 2019 on a 2006.5 Special Edition. I will be following this thread and reporting what I find. My Interstate Battery was installed in 2006 and will be going in for test tomorrow. I know how aggravating this can be, and we have to report causes here. I have the Ross-Tech and will report my codes. Sharing your pain.

Mine has done this three times, and just prior to a failure, upon shut down, I heard the system go "dead" with a little whine. It would restart after a short rest. I got stranded with the latest event, so this is serious and real, now. I've been making short five mile drives as of recent and this may be causing undue stress?

Last edited by bobthefarmer; May 19th, 2019 at 00:35.
bobthefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 17:01   #4
bobthefarmer
Veteran Member

Angry Many fault codes and Status Cannot be reached

My battery voltage was about 12.1 V when I returned to the car today. No Joy. Towed home. I ran Autoscan using VCDS and in 1 min 23 Seconds, the batt voltage dropped from 12 to 11.9 and most of the systems cam up with fault code 1100 or 0010 with Status cannot be reached. The only systems checking in OK are the imobilizer 25 and Door Electrical 52. all the other systems are red. Important issues 01314 ECM-004 no Signal, 01516 ; Terminal 30; Left 011 Open Circuit. Many other codes thrown, all related to no communication.

I will take the battery out tonight and have it checked in the AM. Seems that I may have some Battery or grounding issues. Battery is less than 3 years old and is the right one for this car from Interstate.
Old May 21st, 2019, 02:19   #5
bobthefarmer
Veteran Member

Battery was fine. I cleaned up the grounding points yTo body and transmission and reprotected them. No joy. Frank06 reccommended I try the 460 relay change like this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...errerid=383288

This is my next attempt, followed by a drying out of the ECU. I'll let you know.
Old May 21st, 2019, 03:13   #6
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

12.1 is a dead battery, I don’t know where you got it checked but unless you charged it up and it held a charge, you need a new battery. Just running the auto scan for 1.5 minutes and the voltage dropping below 12 is not a good sign for your battery.

Fully charged your battery should be 12.6-12.8 , 12.4-12.5 is a good battery with a decent charge. 12.2-12.3 is marginal, below 12.2 is dead.
Tdijarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 03:22   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The car's OBD should communicate just fine down to around 11.5v, though. I agree the battery may not be 100%, but that is not the entire issue here.
Old May 21st, 2019, 13:43   #8
demhaizar

Same thing happened to my MK5 Jetta TDi about 2yrs ago(270K), have VCDS cable no DTCs listed,

tried new relay 460,

tried new battery,

tested starter and alternator at local auto parts store worked there no issues,

checked the grounds individually and cleaned them,

tried jumping,

no joy, total frustration,

finally purchased a NEW STARTER, started like nothing was ever wrong
...just my experience. Good Luck!!!

Last edited by demhaizar; May 21st, 2019 at 13:46.
demhaizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 19:33   #9
bobthefarmer
Veteran Member

Default Relay 460 is the gem! Thanks Frank06

Lucky me. I picked up a 460 relay from VW for $22 and replaced the left hand position under the drivers LH Dash (What a pain in the arse to access this thing) . Upon turning the key, the multi-function display came right up with the proper visuals and the car started fine. Else where in this forum, I remember a guy saying, "I'm going to keep a spare in my glove compartment". To be honest, I think that is a good idea, as long as you keep a T20 available to find your way under there in the depths of the bowels of the dash.

Last edited by bobthefarmer; May 23rd, 2019 at 06:28. Reason: add title, fix typo
Old May 22nd, 2019, 19:35   #10
bobthefarmer
Veteran Member

The 460 relay is available on other sources for $10 +/-. I'm agonna git me one more!
Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:06   #11
bobthefarmer
Veteran Member